By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: Rain in BOTW is a positive addition to the game

Mar1217 said:
Like Curl said if you plan yourself ahead, you can bypass or avoid climbing altogether while it's raining, sure it can be annoying sometimes in different situations but the game let's you with different tools to experiement the best way to achieve your goal.

Some peeps are demonstrably showing their lack of adaptability during certain situations like these and just claim the game as faulty ...

Showing annoyance with an unnecessary game mechanic that arbitrarily hinders a massive draw to the game (the ability to scale just about anything is a huge part of the game) doesn't equate to lacking adaptability.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
curl-6 said:

True, but it's availability it up to the player. If I know I'll be needing it shortly, I won't use it all up. It can be upgraded to greatly reduce cooldown times as well.

Plus I don't think there is anywhere save the towers with only a single scaling route; if it's raining and the distance is too great to use the step-step-step-jump trick, I'll scout around the base and there's almost always an easier way up, and even a depleted Revali's Gale will recharge in the meantime.

It breaks the flow of the game, regardless. The first few times, it gave a "Wow, this is neat" vibe, but beyond that I was just annoyed that my progress was constantly hindered. And you shouldn't have to resort to broken mechanics like the 3xstep-jump to get around a roadblock to the game. I would have much preferred an item or food combination in game that strengthened my grip to climb in the rain.

I didn't find it broke the flow at all; early on, before I gained the skill and abilities to subvert it, it may have diverted my exploration in a new direction as I searched for an alternate route, but I was still exploring. 

NightlyPoe said:
If it's raining early in the game and you've gotta get up a cliff, the only in-game option is just to put the controller down and wait.

Not true; in the early game, most notably on the plateau, you can reach pretty much everywhere without climbing. No need to put the controller down and wait; just explore and find an alternate route.

I personally loved the rain and all it brought with it, both the negative stuff and the positive, in BotW

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Not true; in the early game, most notably on the plateau, you can reach pretty much everywhere without climbing. No need to put the controller down and wait; just explore and find an alternate route.

It literally can't rain on the plateau, he clearly wasn't talking about it.

The answer is the same though; explore for an alternate route, or find a dry spot to camp out. I played BOTW for well over a hundred hours and never, not once, did I put my controller down and wait for the rain to stop.

Around the Network

Mind you, I feel I should state for the record that hating BOTW's rain and thinking it's trash is a totally legitimate opinion, which people are entitled to. A lot of people do hate it, and that's cool, you're allowed to, and I won't tell you you're wrong.

I just take issue with the oft-repeated claim that "all you can do is put down the controller and wait", cos that's just not true. You can certainly choose to react that way, but it's not one's only recourse.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2019

pokoko said:

I care not at all about a game being considered art.  I care that I enjoy myself while playing.

As an example, Fallout 4 has two upper difficulties:  Very Hard, which simply makes everyone, including your character, into bullet sponges; and Survival, which increases the lethality of attacks greatly, which I really like, but also includes a lot of other game-play changes, like restricting saves to when you sleep, which I hate.  What did I do?  I downloaded a mod that allowed me to play on Very Hard but with the lethality of Survival, which I enjoyed a lot more than either mode as they were programmed by the developers.  Enjoyment, to me, is what gaming should be about.

And, at the of the day, the option to change the gameplay also includes the option not to change the gameplay.

The option to change game-settings like a difficulty level or things like control scheme and graphics, which I agree should be included in most games, is different than asking to be able to turn off an integral mechanic that has an impact on the gameplay and world design; in other words asking to turn off a part of the game itself. I don’t like dying, should I ask for the option to turn off enemies?

S.Peelman said:
pokoko said:

I care not at all about a game being considered art.  I care that I enjoy myself while playing.

As an example, Fallout 4 has two upper difficulties:  Very Hard, which simply makes everyone, including your character, into bullet sponges; and Survival, which increases the lethality of attacks greatly, which I really like, but also includes a lot of other game-play changes, like restricting saves to when you sleep, which I hate.  What did I do?  I downloaded a mod that allowed me to play on Very Hard but with the lethality of Survival, which I enjoyed a lot more than either mode as they were programmed by the developers.  Enjoyment, to me, is what gaming should be about.

And, at the of the day, the option to change the gameplay also includes the option not to change the gameplay.

The option to change game-settings like a difficulty level or things like control scheme and graphics, which I agree should be included in most games, is different than asking to be able to turn off an integral mechanic that has an impact on the gameplay and world design; in other words asking to turn off a part of the game itself. I don’t like dying, should I ask for the option to turn off enemies?

Rain and enemies are on the same level of importance to you?  That's interesting.

Rain wasn't one of the things that bothered me in BOTW.

It could be annoying, but I don't think it's bad. Maybe if there wasn't a forecast it would be. I'd hate to be halfway climbing up a mountain for it to start raining with no warning.

Mar1217 said:
Azuren said:

Showing annoyance with an unnecessary game mechanic that arbitrarily hinders a massive draw to the game (the ability to scale just about anything is a huge part of the game) doesn't equate to lacking adaptability.

You've just explained the point for this mechanic though, it is there to challenge your ability to gauge these situations and see how you'll tresspass them. If you can't think of anything and just try to force it and get yourself annoyed then that's mostly on you for your lack of adaptability.

Maybe I don't see it as a challenge because I already possess the skill of "waiting around doing nothing".

Annoying the player on purpose isn't a challenge, it's just annoying. If I want to wait for a game to be allowed to play it, I can play mobile games. At least mobile games give me the option to skip the annoyances they put into their games, making mobile game developers superior to Nintendo.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.