By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: Rain in BOTW is a positive addition to the game

Mind you, I feel I should state for the record that hating BOTW's rain and thinking it's trash is a totally legitimate opinion, which people are entitled to. A lot of people do hate it, and that's cool, you're allowed to, and I won't tell you you're wrong.

I just take issue with the oft-repeated claim that "all you can do is put down the controller and wait", cos that's just not true. You can certainly choose to react that way, but it's not one's only recourse.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2019

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

I don't hate BotW's rain, but it is a nuisance I'd rather have a more convenient way to get around. Of course, you're not talking about me, specifically, and yeah it is understandable to hate it since it is a mechanic that hinders exploration.

Hating on breakable weapons, though, that's not allowed.

pokoko said:

I care not at all about a game being considered art.  I care that I enjoy myself while playing.

As an example, Fallout 4 has two upper difficulties:  Very Hard, which simply makes everyone, including your character, into bullet sponges; and Survival, which increases the lethality of attacks greatly, which I really like, but also includes a lot of other game-play changes, like restricting saves to when you sleep, which I hate.  What did I do?  I downloaded a mod that allowed me to play on Very Hard but with the lethality of Survival, which I enjoyed a lot more than either mode as they were programmed by the developers.  Enjoyment, to me, is what gaming should be about.

And, at the of the day, the option to change the gameplay also includes the option not to change the gameplay.

The option to change game-settings like a difficulty level or things like control scheme and graphics, which I agree should be included in most games, is different than asking to be able to turn off an integral mechanic that has an impact on the gameplay and world design; in other words asking to turn off a part of the game itself. I don’t like dying, should I ask for the option to turn off enemies?

S.Peelman said:
pokoko said:

I care not at all about a game being considered art.  I care that I enjoy myself while playing.

As an example, Fallout 4 has two upper difficulties:  Very Hard, which simply makes everyone, including your character, into bullet sponges; and Survival, which increases the lethality of attacks greatly, which I really like, but also includes a lot of other game-play changes, like restricting saves to when you sleep, which I hate.  What did I do?  I downloaded a mod that allowed me to play on Very Hard but with the lethality of Survival, which I enjoyed a lot more than either mode as they were programmed by the developers.  Enjoyment, to me, is what gaming should be about.

And, at the of the day, the option to change the gameplay also includes the option not to change the gameplay.

The option to change game-settings like a difficulty level or things like control scheme and graphics, which I agree should be included in most games, is different than asking to be able to turn off an integral mechanic that has an impact on the gameplay and world design; in other words asking to turn off a part of the game itself. I don’t like dying, should I ask for the option to turn off enemies?

Rain and enemies are on the same level of importance to you?  That's interesting.

Rain wasn't one of the things that bothered me in BOTW.

It could be annoying, but I don't think it's bad. Maybe if there wasn't a forecast it would be. I'd hate to be halfway climbing up a mountain for it to start raining with no warning.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Azuren said:

Showing annoyance with an unnecessary game mechanic that arbitrarily hinders a massive draw to the game (the ability to scale just about anything is a huge part of the game) doesn't equate to lacking adaptability.

You've just explained the point for this mechanic though, it is there to challenge your ability to gauge these situations and see how you'll tresspass them. If you can't think of anything and just try to force it and get yourself annoyed then that's mostly on you for your lack of adaptability.

Maybe I don't see it as a challenge because I already possess the skill of "waiting around doing nothing".

Annoying the player on purpose isn't a challenge, it's just annoying. If I want to wait for a game to be allowed to play it, I can play mobile games. At least mobile games give me the option to skip the annoyances they put into their games, making mobile game developers superior to Nintendo.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

pokoko said:
S.Peelman said:

Rain and enemies are on the same level of importance to you?  That's interesting.

Certainly.

What’s also interesting is that you missed the point. The rain is not esthetical, nor just there to annoy you. Curl already explained how the rain effects a plethora of other game mechanics, and he didn’t even mention everything, making it a crucial part of the workings of the game. Removing it would break a whole bunch of things. So where’s the line? Why is it okay for you to disable rain but not for me to disable enemies? Or you can ask just for an option to remove the inability to climb in the rain, but if you want options in games that specific I might as well ask not to get rid of all enemies, but just Lynels, since those are the ones that kill me.

Obviously from the developer’s standpoint the rain is meant to be something you’ll “have to deal with”, because their vision for the game is to inspire people to be creative in ‘the wild’ and for them to find their own ways to their goal. That’s why Vivster’s again dramatizing, you don’t have to “sit around and wait” at all, you just have to look around and come up with something else; the point of the game. Something I always did at least.

Anyway, nobody would be talking about this if the Climbing Gear’s special power was being able to climb in the rain, something I also expected it to have initially, I agree to that.

NightlyPoe said:
curl-6 said:

The answer is the same though; explore for an alternate route, or find a dry spot to camp out. I played BOTW for well over a hundred hours and never, not once, did I put my controller down and wait for the rain to stop.

I could have gone exploring, but I don't like to do that because Breath of the Wild is such a big game that I don't like to move on from a place until I find what I'm looking for.  Otherwise, who knows when I'll get back around to that place, if ever?  So, yeah, I put the controller down a couple times and just waited for the rain to stop.  It's easier than marking a map and hoping I remember to go back to it someday.

Okay. That's certainly one approach, all I disputed was the suggestion that it's the "only in-game option".

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

NightlyPoe said:
curl-6 said:

Okay. That's certainly one approach, all I disputed was the suggestion that it's the "only in-game option".

Very well.  To clarify:  Waiting, in one for or another, is sometimes the only option for achieving some specific goal or point-of-interest.

When it's a time of day puzzle, it's merely tedious.  But when you're time-locked by pure RNG, I just don't think it's good design.

If I just had to wait, I'd hate it, as I'm not a patient person, but I guess I don't really think of it as waiting as in searching for an alternate route I was still exploring and hence the gameplay never stopped for me. Not only did I usually get where I wanted to go, but I very often stumbled across something new along the way that I might otherwise have missed.

vivster said:

Realism should never get into the way of playability, especially if it's inconsistent. All I can say is that rain was the No1 factor why I stopped playing the game and that is just terrible game design. Sadly, the word "optional" doesn't exist in Nintendo's vocabulary.

"Here, have a gigantic world to explore with an all powerful and immortal protagonist who can wield magic and climb mountains for days without eating or sleeping. Oh BTW, that all powerful protagonist can't climb things that are slightly wet. Also, all weapons are made out of paper. Have fun!"

I don't agree having more options is always a good thing but I understand your point.

That said, I don't think rain and weapon degredation were meant for "realism" purposes but rather because the gameplay encourages adaptation rather than planning. And since the game always gives you more potential objectives I don't think rain has ever stopped my progress.