Forums - Movies & TV - We Need A More Mature Spider-Man Movie

Best Spider-Man movies?

Spider-Man (2002) Trilogy 19 51.35%

Amazing Spider-Man Duology 3 8.11%

Spider-Man Home Duology 15 40.54%

Total:37
pokoko said:
"Because "Spider-Man doesn't want to be Spider-Man just Peter Parker" again"

That's literally one of the most basic elements of the "Spider-Man" comic books. That was the overriding theme for decades. A hero who doesn't want to be a hero but wrestles constantly with the words of his uncle, that with great power comes great responsibility. That's Spider-Man.

And what happens at the end? He accepts his responsibility and understands that he's partly to blame for his uncle's death and moves on as a Spider-Man.

Around the Network

Considering how incredibly well received the Home "duology" is in terms of both critical and commercial success, i'd absolutely question your criteria of "terrible writing", cause its clearly not the case.

Either way I dont care, the best version of the character IMO is the high schooler. I dont want to see the married Peter Parker.

Hiku said:

When they restart a superhero series, there are certain integral elements to the character that they usually don't want to skip. In those cases it's more about how each iteration of the character deals with it.

This is the third live action iteration of Spiderman that literally explores the same themes as the first but with worse actors and more comedy thats pretty much it.

That men are pigs.

...uhh... Yeah I guess?  even without the sarcasm nobody would get offended by that men don't need to be empowered for the sake of being empowered

Jpcc86 said:

Considering how incredibly well received the Home "duology" is in terms of both critical and commercial success, i'd absolutely question your criteria of "terrible writing", cause its clearly not the case.

Either way I dont care, the best version of the character IMO is the high schooler. I dont want to see the married Peter Parker.

Star Wars Sequels are both well received critically and commercially, do the fans care about that? Nope.

If you want terrible writing then read the Spiderman comics.

NightlyPoe said:
This current Spider-Man was doomed by making him an Iron Man fanboy. It also doesn't help that he spent half the last movie forgetting the "With great power" motto. "The world's gonna blow up? Dude, that's gonna cut into my vacation."

Gimme a break. Holland is just a faint shadow of Maguire's take.

I'm also annoyed that we can't get an awesome Mary Jane after all these years. Mary Jane is like the Lex Luthor of Marvel. They keep sending her further and further away from her character when they never portrayed her correctly in the first place. Where's my gorgeous flighty redhead who parties as a front to hide her, intimacy issues, insecurities, and fears? We've never even approached a true adaptation of the character in the movies and it's SO crazy because Mary Jane would pop on film if they got the right actress for it.

Instead we're stuck with a faux MJ who is exactly the opposite.

Agreed

Around the Network
Snoorlax said:
pokoko said:
"Because "Spider-Man doesn't want to be Spider-Man just Peter Parker" again"

That's literally one of the most basic elements of the "Spider-Man" comic books. That was the overriding theme for decades. A hero who doesn't want to be a hero but wrestles constantly with the words of his uncle, that with great power comes great responsibility. That's Spider-Man.

And what happens at the end? He accepts his responsibility and understands that he's partly to blame for his uncle's death and moves on as a Spider-Man.

The end?  The very ideal of the Spider-Man character, the defining element for literally decades and decades, especially during his college years, was that Peter Parker wanted a normal life with a normal career but being Spider-Man always got in the way.  He was supposed to be the opposite of the Superman type character, where the "Clark Kent" guise is the fake element and the "superhero" is the real persona.  That's why Spider-Man resonated with so many people in the first place.  It's why he never fit in with groups like the Avengers. 

Spider-Man is Peter Parker with a mask on.  

You should probably check out the Superman films.  That sounds more like what you want in a character.

Don't worry, Tom Holland will grow older, and with it, out of school. Also, remember the Stinger of the movie:

Spoiler!
J. Jonah Jameson is declaring Misterio a true hero and Spiderman a villain. So now, he'll have to handle that problem, too. And he probably will soon start his photographer career by the looks of it.

Snoorlax said:
Jpcc86 said:

Star Wars Sequels are both well received critically and commercially, do the fans care about that? Nope.

If you want terrible writing then watch the DCEU.

Fixed that for you

pokoko said:
Snoorlax said:

The end?  The very ideal of the Spider-Man character, the defining element for literally decades and decades, especially during his college years, was that Peter Parker wanted a normal life with a normal career but being Spider-Man always got in the way.  He was supposed to be the opposite of the Superman type character, where the "Clark Kent" guise is the fake element and the "superhero" is the real persona.  That's why Spider-Man resonated with so many people in the first place.  It's why he never fit in with groups like the Avengers. 

You should probably check out the Superman films.  That sounds more like what you want in a character.

Yeah, I can remember from my dad's silver/bronze age comics that he's always at Morton's fork. No matter what he's doing, he can't possibly please everybody, and some will suffer from it. Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy and her dad died due to Parker's being forced to choose. And those painful choices did stick, as they stayed dead, unlike most in comicbooks.

The scene before the final battle in Homecoming was exactly what Parker was about all that time: He has to sacrifice all the time and make tough decisions:

Spoiler!
Go to the prom with his dream girl, knowing fully well that she'll dump him forever if he doesn't, or catch the villain, who is incidentally also the father of his love?

A similar thing happened in this movie:

Spoiler!
He gave Misterio Tony's glasses, and with them, full control over his drones, as he felt the burden was too much for him, that he was too young for such a responsibility. The deaths and destructions in London are the result of this choices.

Spiderman is all about choices and what we make with and about them.

Hiku said:

You'd imagine people would get this out of their system the first 500 times they made this accusation/posed this question for a game/movie.

If not, make a thread about it in the politics section please. Try to keep that out of the entertainment sections from now on, unless there's a proper case to be made for it.

You're the one making this into a political case, i've just pointed it out as criticism towards the movie and the character of MJ and how unrealistic it is when nobody else but MJ can easily make the connection. I don't care if you agree/disagree but it seems to me like you are saying criticisms that you don't like are not allowed in the movie threads now?

Secondly, if you really believe mainstream movies these days that are supposed to be just "fun and entertaining" aren't filled with SWJ and political undertones and some of us are just exaggerating then you really need to check yourself or you're just ignoring it. I don't care if women are the hero or the strongest, i do have a problem if they don't make sense especially in movies that i like, like Star Wars or Spider-Man.

pokoko said:
Snoorlax said:

Okay. I repeat.

He accepts his responsibility and understands that he's partly to blame for his uncle's death and moves on as Spider-Man.