Best Spider-Man movies?

Spider-Man (2002) Trilogy 19 51.35%

Amazing Spider-Man Duology 3 8.11%

Spider-Man Home Duology 15 40.54%

Total:37
Snoorlax said:
pokoko said:
"Because "Spider-Man doesn't want to be Spider-Man just Peter Parker" again"

That's literally one of the most basic elements of the "Spider-Man" comic books. That was the overriding theme for decades. A hero who doesn't want to be a hero but wrestles constantly with the words of his uncle, that with great power comes great responsibility. That's Spider-Man.

And what happens at the end? He accepts his responsibility and understands that he's partly to blame for his uncle's death and moves on as a Spider-Man.

The end?  The very ideal of the Spider-Man character, the defining element for literally decades and decades, especially during his college years, was that Peter Parker wanted a normal life with a normal career but being Spider-Man always got in the way.  He was supposed to be the opposite of the Superman type character, where the "Clark Kent" guise is the fake element and the "superhero" is the real persona.  That's why Spider-Man resonated with so many people in the first place.  It's why he never fit in with groups like the Avengers. 

Spider-Man is Peter Parker with a mask on.  

You should probably check out the Superman films.  That sounds more like what you want in a character.

Around the Network

Don't worry, Tom Holland will grow older, and with it, out of school. Also, remember the Stinger of the movie:

Spoiler!
J. Jonah Jameson is declaring Misterio a true hero and Spiderman a villain. So now, he'll have to handle that problem, too. And he probably will soon start his photographer career by the looks of it.

Snoorlax said:
Jpcc86 said:

Considering how incredibly well received the Home "duology" is in terms of both critical and commercial success, i'd absolutely question your criteria of "terrible writing", cause its clearly not the case.

Either way I dont care, the best version of the character IMO is the high schooler. I dont want to see the married Peter Parker.

Star Wars Sequels are both well received critically and commercially, do the fans care about that? Nope.

If you want terrible writing then watch the DCEU.

Fixed that for you

pokoko said:
Snoorlax said:

And what happens at the end? He accepts his responsibility and understands that he's partly to blame for his uncle's death and moves on as a Spider-Man.

The end?  The very ideal of the Spider-Man character, the defining element for literally decades and decades, especially during his college years, was that Peter Parker wanted a normal life with a normal career but being Spider-Man always got in the way.  He was supposed to be the opposite of the Superman type character, where the "Clark Kent" guise is the fake element and the "superhero" is the real persona.  That's why Spider-Man resonated with so many people in the first place.  It's why he never fit in with groups like the Avengers. 

You should probably check out the Superman films.  That sounds more like what you want in a character.

Yeah, I can remember from my dad's silver/bronze age comics that he's always at Morton's fork. No matter what he's doing, he can't possibly please everybody, and some will suffer from it. Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy and her dad died due to Parker's being forced to choose. And those painful choices did stick, as they stayed dead, unlike most in comicbooks.

The scene before the final battle in Homecoming was exactly what Parker was about all that time: He has to sacrifice all the time and make tough decisions:

Spoiler!
Go to the prom with his dream girl, knowing fully well that she'll dump him forever if he doesn't, or catch the villain, who is incidentally also the father of his love?

A similar thing happened in this movie:

Spoiler!
He gave Misterio Tony's glasses, and with them, full control over his drones, as he felt the burden was too much for him, that he was too young for such a responsibility. The deaths and destructions in London are the result of this choices.

Spiderman is all about choices and what we make with and about them.

Hiku said:

You'd imagine people would get this out of their system the first 500 times they made this accusation/posed this question for a game/movie.

If not, make a thread about it in the politics section please. Try to keep that out of the entertainment sections from now on, unless there's a proper case to be made for it.

You're the one making this into a political case, i've just pointed it out as criticism towards the movie and the character of MJ and how unrealistic it is when nobody else but MJ can easily make the connection. I don't care if you agree/disagree but it seems to me like you are saying criticisms that you don't like are not allowed in the movie threads now?

Secondly, if you really believe mainstream movies these days that are supposed to be just "fun and entertaining" aren't filled with SWJ and political undertones and some of us are just exaggerating then you really need to check yourself or you're just ignoring it. I don't care if women are the hero or the strongest, i do have a problem if they don't make sense especially in movies that i like, like Star Wars or Spider-Man.

pokoko said:
Snoorlax said:

Okay. I repeat.

He accepts his responsibility and understands that he's partly to blame for his uncle's death and moves on as Spider-Man.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Snoorlax said:

Star Wars Sequels are both well received critically and commercially, do the fans care about that? Nope.

If you want terrible writing then Read the Spider-Man comics and watch the DCEU.

Fixed that for you

pokoko said:

Yeah, I can remember from my dad's silver/bronze age comics that he's always at Morton's fork. No matter what he's doing, he can't possibly please everybody, and some will suffer from it. Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy and her dad died due to Parker's being forced to choose. And those painful choices did stick, as they stayed dead, unlike most in comicbooks.

The scene before the final battle in Homecoming was exactly what Parker was about all that time: He has to sacrifice all the time and make tough decisions:

Spoiler!
Go to the prom with his dream girl, knowing fully well that she'll dump him forever if he doesn't, or catch the villain, who is incidentally also the father of his love?

A similar thing happened in this movie:

Spoiler!
He gave Misterio Tony's glasses, and with them, full control over his drones, as he felt the burden was too much for him, that he was too young for such a responsibility. The deaths and destructions in London are the result of this choices.

Spiderman is all about choices and what we make with and about them.

Thank you for your input but this is about Spider-Man not the DCEU.

After seeing screenshots for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, I checked the movie out.

I wasn't only pleasantly surprised, but I was blown away. If they made the MCU Spider-Man with this combination of heart, action, charm, and freshness, I could be behind a young Spider-Man. But now, I am pretty much sick of the reboots and high school stories.

Also, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse should be in the poll. It's the best Spider-Man movie, imho, but it doesn't get the type of attention, because it's animated, and it's main protagonist is not the original Spider-Man (although his relationship with the Peter Parker iteration is central to the plot so we get the best of both worlds). Blows away the duologies. And it's got more polish, more character development, and less cringe than the Raimi films even though that trilogy was phenomenal. It's just that good.

Or you could just make a movie about one of the 5 million other superheroes that are more mature?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I honestly think you should just play Spider-Man PS4 or watch Spiderverse. Those do a fantastic job of portraying a more adult Peter Parker with more shit to deal with. I'm honestly glad that they're going with a new interpretation for the MCU. The previous live action Spider-Man movies didn't portray Spider-Man as an inexperienced youth who didn't know how to deal with his responsibilities and was constantly living in the shadow of peoples' expectations. Frankly, I think its really cool that we see a more naïve Spider-Man that doesn't know how to handle his powers and doesn't want to fully accept the expectations and responsibility that has been placed onto him. I think it makes a lot of sense for Peter to chase after MJ and have that cloud his responsibility of being Spider-Man since I think that makes sense for a kid who doesn't understand the power that he has. The core idea of this character has always been about a kid who struggled with his real life duties and his responsibility to use his powers for good whilst dealing with tragedies occurring in his own life. I think it makes more sense to have a kid in this interpretation since his inability to immediately accept his powers and deal with the expectations that people put on him for being Spider-Man feel more believable. The Raimi trilogy perfectly encapsulated the essence of an adult Peter Parker who had real life problems to deal with. I honestly don't think there have been many solid portrayals of Spider-Man as a kid outside the comic books, so I feel that this concept is more welcome in the MCU. Also, maybe its just me, but I really didn't see any political statements being made with this movie. MJ was spunky and made a couple of remarks, but I didn't really feel that there were any political statements being made. To be honest, after the fucking abysmal Amazing Spider-Man movies a couple of years ago, I'm glad this series is taking a new approach with the character whilst still maintaining that core idea of Spider-Man.

Last edited by Smartie900 - on 22 July 2019

Snoorlax said:

Hiku said:

You'd imagine people would get this out of their system the first 500 times they made this accusation/posed this question for a game/movie.

If not, make a thread about it in the politics section please. Try to keep that out of the entertainment sections from now on, unless there's a proper case to be made for it.

You're the one making this into a political case, i've just pointed it out as criticism towards the movie and the character of MJ and how unrealistic it is when nobody else but MJ can easily make the connection. I don't care if you agree/disagree but it seems to me like you are saying criticisms that you don't like are not allowed in the movie threads now?

Secondly, if you really believe mainstream movies these days that are supposed to be just "fun and entertaining" aren't filled with SWJ and political undertones and some of us are just exaggerating then you really need to check yourself or you're just ignoring it. I don't care if women are the hero or the strongest, i do have a problem if they don't make sense especially in movies that i like, like Star Wars or Spider-Man.

You said "Is this another one of those stealthy political statements?". And when someone responds to your question, you're saying they're the ones who made a political case of what you brought up...? That's what happens when you bring it up.

I didn't suggest such things never occur. But to suspect almost every possible instance of it, including something as trivial as one person noticing that he is Spiderman before others, is looking pretty ridiculous.

It's not criticism I don't like. It's stealth political threads outside of the politics section, with a non-constructive question that you know has no answer, and serves no purpose other than instigating with a group of people.

If you're still not tired of the same discussion going nowhere for the 500th time, then make a thread about it in the politics section. Don't sneak this into the entertainment sections.

Last edited by Hiku - on 22 July 2019