Forums - Movies & TV - We Need A More Mature Spider-Man Movie

Best Spider-Man movies?

Spider-Man (2002) Trilogy 19 51.35%

Amazing Spider-Man Duology 3 8.11%

Spider-Man Home Duology 15 40.54%

Total:37
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Snoorlax said:

Star Wars Sequels are both well received critically and commercially, do the fans care about that? Nope.

If you want terrible writing then Read the Spider-Man comics and watch the DCEU.

Fixed that for you

pokoko said:

The end?  The very ideal of the Spider-Man character, the defining element for literally decades and decades, especially during his college years, was that Peter Parker wanted a normal life with a normal career but being Spider-Man always got in the way.  He was supposed to be the opposite of the Superman type character, where the "Clark Kent" guise is the fake element and the "superhero" is the real persona.  That's why Spider-Man resonated with so many people in the first place.  It's why he never fit in with groups like the Avengers. 

Spider-Man is Peter Parker with a mask on.  

You should probably check out the Superman films.  That sounds more like what you want in a character.

Yeah, I can remember from my dad's silver/bronze age comics that he's always at Morton's fork. No matter what he's doing, he can't possibly please everybody, and some will suffer from it. Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy and her dad died due to Parker's being forced to choose. And those painful choices did stick, as they stayed dead, unlike most in comicbooks.

The scene before the final battle in Homecoming was exactly what Parker was about all that time: He has to sacrifice all the time and make tough decisions:

Spoiler!
Go to the prom with his dream girl, knowing fully well that she'll dump him forever if he doesn't, or catch the villain, who is incidentally also the father of his love?

A similar thing happened in this movie:

Spoiler!
He gave Misterio Tony's glasses, and with them, full control over his drones, as he felt the burden was too much for him, that he was too young for such a responsibility. The deaths and destructions in London are the result of this choices.

Spiderman is all about choices and what we make with and about them.

Thank you for your input but this is about Spider-Man not the DCEU.

Around the Network

After seeing screenshots for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, I checked the movie out.

I wasn't only pleasantly surprised, but I was blown away. If they made the MCU Spider-Man with this combination of heart, action, charm, and freshness, I could be behind a young Spider-Man. But now, I am pretty much sick of the reboots and high school stories.

Also, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse should be in the poll. It's the best Spider-Man movie, imho, but it doesn't get the type of attention, because it's animated, and it's main protagonist is not the original Spider-Man (although his relationship with the Peter Parker iteration is central to the plot so we get the best of both worlds). Blows away the duologies. And it's got more polish, more character development, and less cringe than the Raimi films even though that trilogy was phenomenal. It's just that good.

Or you could just make a movie about one of the 5 million other superheroes that are more mature?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I honestly think you should just play Spider-Man PS4 or watch Spiderverse. Those do a fantastic job of portraying a more adult Peter Parker with more shit to deal with. I'm honestly glad that they're going with a new interpretation for the MCU. The previous live action Spider-Man movies didn't portray Spider-Man as an inexperienced youth who didn't know how to deal with his responsibilities and was constantly living in the shadow of peoples' expectations. Frankly, I think its really cool that we see a more naïve Spider-Man that doesn't know how to handle his powers and doesn't want to fully accept the expectations and responsibility that has been placed onto him. I think it makes a lot of sense for Peter to chase after MJ and have that cloud his responsibility of being Spider-Man since I think that makes sense for a kid who doesn't understand the power that he has. The core idea of this character has always been about a kid who struggled with his real life duties and his responsibility to use his powers for good whilst dealing with tragedies occurring in his own life. I think it makes more sense to have a kid in this interpretation since his inability to immediately accept his powers and deal with the expectations that people put on him for being Spider-Man feel more believable. The Raimi trilogy perfectly encapsulated the essence of an adult Peter Parker who had real life problems to deal with. I honestly don't think there have been many solid portrayals of Spider-Man as a kid outside the comic books, so I feel that this concept is more welcome in the MCU. Also, maybe its just me, but I really didn't see any political statements being made with this movie. MJ was spunky and made a couple of remarks, but I didn't really feel that there were any political statements being made. To be honest, after the fucking abysmal Amazing Spider-Man movies a couple of years ago, I'm glad this series is taking a new approach with the character whilst still maintaining that core idea of Spider-Man.

Last edited by Smartie900 - on 22 July 2019

Best Spider-man film made was Into the Spiderverse, although more of a Mile Morales film as opposed to Peter Parker but still. Problem is the films have to appeal to their main audience, sadly that's not full grown adult men who read comics, it's kids. A Spider-man film dealing with his issues over his marriage, death of Aunt May or issues he has juggling being a hero against having a job might not be that fun to watch. Works well in comics as they allow for an ongoing soap opera like narrative.

Spiderverse did great for many of those things but kept it simple and light hearted as Miles was the star, not Peter Parker. The Peter we have in the MCU films just isn't Peter Parker we know, heck none of the characters really are. MJ isn't MJ, she's Michelle someone, moody emo girl, not the outgoing gorgeous girl next door from the comics. No Ben, Tony is the Ben of that world. Heck, even Peter Parker isn't himself and is being turned into more of a Iron Man Jr (Sooner they add the Young Avengers to the MCU the better, get Iron Lad in there), no spinning wise cracks in fights because he's nervous, no achievements or sacrifices of his own like Peter would do.

I was talking to a friend of mine about the next set of films and was saying that Peter Parker needs to be the next big character in the MCU because Peter IS Marvel, he's the star, always is always will be, the idea that plain slate Carol Danvers is the next front of MCU is stupid, she's not likeable, Carol never has been. But my friend made a good point, IF Spider-man becomes too successful in this guise of the MCU, Sony still have power right? They can say 'alright' we are pulling him out of MCU and just end the deal. Marvel don't want that, they want control of their characters.

Sony are at least doing other things with their purchased licence with Venom, Morbius and Spider-verse, all more mature themed (hopefully on Morbius), shame Universal aren't doing the same with Hulk. Seriously, Universal, where is our She-Hulk? I want a lawyer film with a big green woman at the helm.

Last edited by The Fury - on 25 July 2019

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
danasider said:
Also, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse should be in the poll. It's the best Spider-Man movie, imho, but it doesn't get the type of attention, because it's animated, and it's main protagonist is not the original Spider-Man (although his relationship with the Peter Parker iteration is central to the plot so we get the best of both worlds). Blows away the duologies. And it's got more polish, more character development, and less cringe than the Raimi films even though that trilogy was phenomenal. It's just that good.

I would've preferred if they introduced Miles Morales for this new generation of viewers instead of fucking up Peter Parker and the people around him. It's actually weird they haven't taken the opportunity of casting Miles as the New Spider-Man I'm pretty sure the mainstream audience and fans are ready for a Black Hispanic Spider-Man since he is a cool character after all.

But that's why I didn't include Into Spider-Verse because it's not mainstream and it hasnt gotten it's own series of movies yet. 

Snoorlax said:
danasider said:

I would've preferred if they introduced Miles Morales for this new generation of viewers instead of fucking up Peter Parker and the people around him. It's actually weird they haven't taken the opportunity of casting Miles as the New Spider-Man I'm pretty sure the mainstream audience and fans are ready for a Black Hispanic Spider-Man since he is a cool character after all.

But that's why I didn't include Into Spider-Verse because it's not mainstream and it hasnt gotten it's own series of movies yet. 

It made $190 million domestic and $375 million worldwide on a $90 million budget. And a sequel is already in the works.

Aunt May in Raimi trilogy is a voice of reason and provide moral support to Peter. MCU Aunt May is just sex object and often used as joke for Happy and Tony.

You need a more mature Super Hero (movie). Dressing up in colorful spandex is so 1930s.

Hunting Season is done...

We need a Spider man that doesn't change face every other movie. Same with all the other Super Heroes. It used to be that a super hero had a face (Like Superman with Christopher Reeve) Now they face-shift every other movie or so and it takes me out of the story.

What the hell is wrong with staying with Tobey Maguire? Did anyone say I'm done with Spidey if Tobey is still it? I'm done with Superman if Brandon Routh is still it?

And don't get too attached to Henry Cavill cause how long till he is also replaced?