By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - We Need A More Mature Spider-Man Movie

Best Spider-Man movies?

Spider-Man (2002) Trilogy 19 51.35%

Amazing Spider-Man Duology 3 8.11%

Spider-Man Home Duology 15 40.54%

Total:37

Some spoilers for Far From Home

When we got our first look at the new Spider-Man (Tom Holland) in Civil War i was blown away, i thought this was THE new Spider-Man that would be on the same level as Tobey Spidey but more true to the Spider-Man character... Well that didnt last long... At all. I don't like Spider-Man Homecoming i think it was a trash movie, but I am a fan of Spider-Man so i've decided to give Far From Home a chance and guess what... It's a lot better than Homecoming.

I've come to accept that Spider-Man and the people around him aren't anywhere close to their comicbook counterparts neither physical nor in personality but then again, with Tony Stark being dead in the MCU (which probably won't last long anyway) we finally get to see an independent Spider-Man grow up without his Uncle Ben, i mean Tony, father figure and develop as a teenager and as his own hero... Nope, it seems Sony can't have that, they need Spider-Man to be an ignorant young boy surrounded by his elders to make him more relatable to children and let the movies be family friendly and comedy focused to get all the parents with their kids to watch this movie and sell as many toys as possible because Sony Studios heavily depends on the success of Spider-Man movies more than ever these days.

Spider-Man once again seems at a loss without his father, Tony Stark, the Zeus of the MCU. But even though he's supposedly dead he still manages to be an essential part of the story through his glasses EDITH. To make up for his absence we now have Nick Fury, Quentin Beck and even MJ scolding or advising Spidey how to be Spidey. Because "Spider-Man doesn't want to be Spider-Man just Peter Parker" again... But we all know that if there is no Spider-Man... Then what's the fucking point of this movie? It just feels so forced and an overdone plotline done much better in Spider-Man 2 and we all know he's going to webswing and save the day anyway.

Peter Parker's only purpose in this movie? To tell MJ that he really likes her, but he fails each time in different European countries. I actually liked the students traveling to Europe and fatty Ned being fat and funny cracking some funny lines but Peter is just all about MJ and trying to forget that he's Spider-Man. Apparently, Peter is so into MJ that he can't even cover his secret idendity anymore because miss sarcasm and oh so smart MJ suspected Peter Parker of being Spider-Man all along. What?

Yeah, it's obvious that Peter always dissapears when hell breaks loose and i'm okay with MJ not being a hot, white, redhead bimbo that only cares about cars and money anymore but she's the only one that noticed? I guess she's smarter than the rest and even Peter, is it cause she's a girl? Is this another one of those stealthy political statements? Oh and MJ actually likes Peter more so than Spider-Man even though Peter is never around her and when he is around her he's always so cringeworthy and painfully awkward yet somehow to others he comes over as funny. Wasn't Peter Parker supposed to be a nerd that no one liked?

Finally Mysterio kinda sucked, Peter screws up everything because he's looking for a father figure which Quentin takes advantage of, he did a pretty good job on that and his illusions were some of the coolest parts of the movie but he never came over as a true menace like Doc Ock mainly because he was heavliy dependant on his team of "scientists and spies who left Stark industries" whatever no one really cares about, and it wasn't just Mysterio VS. Spider-Man.. Oh no, we need MCU international hero Nick Fury and his gang to guide Spider-Man and save the day incase Spidey fails to save Europe because we already had enough trouble in New York so now we had to change the setting for once and now we're following Spidey all around Europe and ruining his schooltrip...

Spider-Man used to be the number 1 Marvel Superhero and be in the major league much like how Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and even Hulk are viewed as today but nowadays he seems to be a kids role model cause all i know teenagers these days prefer the millonaire playboy smartguy Tony Stark over this goofy Spider-Man.

Around the Network

The young neighborhood superhero that is always getting roped into things "beyond his depth" is when Spiderman was his most popular. You seem to want a more adult Spiderman, but that isn't when he had his best comic book runs. Juggling his academic, social, and superhero life is what has always been a core tenant of his character. The high school through college era Spiderman is what they seem to be going for. Once he gets beyond college, starts working, and get married, the character seems to lose his luster for a lot of people. It is part of the reason characters like Spiderman (Miles Morales) and Spider-Gwen have taken off. Those characters essentially go back to the young era of the original Spiderman's career and allow for the telling the types of stories that lead to his popularity.

I agree

Maybe they will lean towards that more "mature" aspect of Spider-man in the third MCU Spider-man film. Its seems, based on the spoilers in the mid-credit scene, that things will be more challenging for him.

But I cannot help but agree with Darc Requiem on this. Some of the adult Spider-man comic book stories are kinda lackluster compared to the high school-college Spider-man. I think it helps because he has a young spirit that is still finding himself in the world while trying to keep his family and friends away from his superhero life, even if it fails at times.

Yeah, totally agree...with Darc Requiem.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
The young neighborhood superhero that is always getting roped into things "beyond his depth" is when Spiderman was his most popular. You seem to want a more adult Spiderman, but that isn't when he had his best comic book runs. Juggling his academic, social, and superhero life is what has always been a core tenant of his character. The high school through college era Spiderman is what they seem to be going for. Once he gets beyond college, starts working, and get married, the character seems to lose his luster for a lot of people. It is part of the reason characters like Spiderman (Miles Morales) and Spider-Gwen have taken off. Those characters essentially go back to the young era of the original Spiderman's career and allow for the telling the types of stories that lead to his popularity.

The problem is not a adult Spiderman the problem is terrible writing by terrible writers.

Kai_Mao said:
I think it helps because he has a young spirit that is still finding himself in the world while trying to keep his family and friends away from his superhero life, even if it fails at times.

I don't know about you guys but i'm one of the fans that prefer Peter Parker to grow as a person not stay in the same loop.

We've already seen the same events and plotlines that happened in Amazing Spider-Man and Home already done better in the Raimi trilogy. Just because the writers fucked up the comics storylines doesn't mean to movies have to keep it at high school years. Just like how they totally ignored the comics in the current movies in favor of SJW characters.

Peter doesn't have to turn into another Tony Stark or get married but grow as a person like he did in the Raimi films which is what's not happening in the current Spider-Man movies and probably never will based on fan attitude towards Peter, this is why Spider-Man fell of the throne meanwhile Logan became one of the best Marvel storylines of all time.

mZuzek said:
The best Spider-Man movie isn't in your poll.

Won't read your OP, though, because I don't want spoilers, but I don't exactly disagree with the thread title - I think it's lame to have a full Spider-Man trilogy in high school, and that they should move beyond it by the second or third movie, which from what I understand isn't happening.

The poll clearly says Best Spiderman Movies< as in the 3 different Spiderman series not by individual movie.

But yeah it probably won't happen anytime soon because Sony prefers to play it safe and retell the same story over and over with different actors, minor changes and different villains and the fans seem to eat them right up.

shikamaru317 said:

Spider-Man died for me movie wise when Spider-Man 4 got cancelled. Tried to watch the first reboot they did with Andrew Garfield and hated it. Didn't even bother watching Tom Holland Spider-Man, I've heard enough about it and seen enough clips of it on Youtube to know I won't like it.

I admit that i enjoyed Far From Home a lot more than Homecoming and in some ways Spider-Man is more true to the comics in this series but i don't like it either it's like the new Star Wars films to me very dumbed down, political and too comedic.

"Because "Spider-Man doesn't want to be Spider-Man just Peter Parker" again"

That's literally one of the most basic elements of the "Spider-Man" comic books. That was the overriding theme for decades. A hero who doesn't want to be a hero but wrestles constantly with the words of his uncle, that with great power comes great responsibility. That's Spider-Man.