By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - We Need A More Mature Spider-Man Movie

Best Spider-Man movies?

Spider-Man (2002) Trilogy 19 51.35%

Amazing Spider-Man Duology 3 8.11%

Spider-Man Home Duology 15 40.54%

Total:37
Zoombael said:
You need a more mature Super Hero (movie). Dressing up in colorful spandex is so 1930s.

Disney/Marvel can do a mature film in Moon Knight but it's Disney so I don't think they ever will. His character is generally darker and deals with DID. But he was established in the late 70s/80s era where comics in general dealt with far darker and less wholesome issues. It doesn't fit with family friendly Disney really.

Last edited by The Fury - on 23 July 2019

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Smartie900 said:

I honestly think you should just play Spider-Man PS4 or watch Spiderverse.

Already watched Spiderverse and I think it's fantastic and i loved adult Peter, still want a more mature Spider-Man live action movie though.

Hiku said:

If you're still not tired of the same discussion going nowhere for the 500th time, then make a thread about it in the politics section. Don't sneak this into the entertainment sections.

My God, if you're tired of reading peoples criticism, the very same political bull they don't like in movies then ignore it or just don't respond. It's really that easy and it's not as if your complaint is going to change my views about it.

danasider said:
Snoorlax said:

I would've preferred if they introduced Miles Morales for this new generation of viewers instead of fucking up Peter Parker and the people around him. It's actually weird they haven't taken the opportunity of casting Miles as the New Spider-Man I'm pretty sure the mainstream audience and fans are ready for a Black Hispanic Spider-Man since he is a cool character after all.

But that's why I didn't include Into Spider-Verse because it's not mainstream and it hasnt gotten it's own series of movies yet. 

It made $190 million domestic and $375 million worldwide on a $90 million budget. And a sequel is already in the works.

Far From Home is a sequel and made 975 million on a 160 million budget. 

So Spider-Verse is not anywhere near as mainstream as live action Spider-Man movies and there is no sequel out yet.

NightlyPoe said:
Snoorlax said:

I would've preferred if they introduced Miles Morales for this new generation of viewers instead of fucking up Peter Parker and the people around him. It's actually weird they haven't taken the opportunity of casting Miles as the New Spider-Man I'm pretty sure the mainstream audience and fans are ready for a Black Hispanic Spider-Man since he is a cool character after all.

But that's why I didn't include Into Spider-Verse because it's not mainstream and it hasnt gotten it's own series of movies yet. 

Eh, Into the Spider-Verse is by far the best representation of Miles Morales.  And even at that, the movie succeeded in spite of him, not because of him.

What are you talking about? When did i imply or question any of what you just wrote?

I was referring to Homecoming being yet another iteration of the same old Peter Parker/Spider-Man origin story but with worse actors and with its own spins. It would've been better if instead of Peter Parker they would introduce us Miles Morales as the new protagonist instead of the same characters with different personalities.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

As you say.  I thought the movie got so much praise because of the experimental animation, artwork, vibrant supporting cast, and cohesive world-building.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that the movie would have been hype if it had been forced to rely on Mile's story of the power of believing in yourself mixed with a fun uncle vs. responsibly daddy plot.

I hear what you're saying. The jump from kid who doesn't know what he's doing to a sudden badass out Spider-Manning Spider-Man seems silly.

But if there was a gradual buildup of Miles becoming Spider-Man, it would go against the entire point of the movie.

He was a victim of circumstance and got bitten by a radioactive spider. Like he says at the end, anyone can be Spider-Man. And when you see the Raimi films, it's the same thing. Parker got bitten and could suddenly do crazy gymnastics and beat up the bully and eventually the villains.

This isn't a case of someone training or working hard. It's about accepting the responsibility that comes with the new powers bestowed upon him. Up until that point in the movie, Miles simply didn't believe in himself, but he had all that power the moment he got bitten by a radioactive spider. The tipping point was his interactions with his family, especially after his uncle's death (an obvious Uncle Ben parallel that was stated by the 5 other dimensional Spider, uh, people).

Up to that point, I still believe Miles was a sympathetic character, if flawed. He was going through things high schoolers go through (the need to be accepted, embarrassing situations, adapting to a new school, etc.) and his story offered a fresh version of the high school Spider-Man story we get rehashed with every reboot.

Now, would the movie be as strong as it was on the strength of Miles' character alone? Probably not. But I don't think he hurt it. He's taken the mantle and the series can go in a nice new direction alongside the other Spider-Man movies. I can't say the same thing for the MCU reboot or the duology after the Raimi films.

mZuzek said:
NightlyPoe said:

As you say.  I thought the movie got so much praise because of the experimental animation, artwork, vibrant supporting cast, and cohesive world-building.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that the movie would have been hype if it had been forced to rely on Mile's story of the power of believing in yourself mixed with a fun uncle vs. responsibly daddy plot.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I love that movie and all of its vibrant supporting cast, and my favorite character in it is Miles, hands down. That's my opinion and I'm sure many other people's too. You don't share it, that's fine, but don't blame the movie for something it's not at fault for.

Miles is not my favorite character, (that would be midlife crisis Peter Parker and maybe Spider-Pig) but i loved the bond between Peter and Miles their chemistry was just perfect. But like i said i'm just sick of the teenage Spider-Man with the same old "relatable" issues. Adult Peter is what really made like this movie and irks me that Sony still won't get past the high school years of Spider-Man

NSS7 said:

Aunt May in Raimi trilogy is a voice of reason and provide moral support to Peter. MCU Aunt May is just sex object and often used as joke for Happy and Tony.

Finally! i thought i was alone in this world! 

NightlyPoe said:
NSS7 said:

Aunt May in Raimi trilogy is a voice of reason and provide moral support to Peter. MCU Aunt May is just sex object and often used as joke for Happy and Tony.

For what it's worth, I was never a fan of "old as dirt" Aunt May as she's usually portrayed in the comics.  It's a trope from a long time ago when parents, for some reason, were always portrayed as very old when the truth is that having children is something people generally do while they're still at or near their physical peak.  Go ahead and take a look at a lot of films from before the 70s, parents of even very young children are portrayed as quite old.

Yeah, I know aunts can be a lot older.  I've got an one myself that's like 50 years older than my baby sister, but it's still an obnoxious trope that I'm glad is dying.  Young Aunt May's a lot more fun anyway.

So you prefer irresponsable, casual sex-loving and hotter than your crush aunt May, over old, wise, caring and experienced aunt May? Cause i sure don't.

Spider-Man is from the 60's different times different costums. People were expected to get a job, get married, have children and act like adults as soon as they turned adults.

Sure she's fun for having casual sex with random dudes she just met, embarassing Peter and not even caring if he's gonna get himself killed being Spider-Man and all.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 23 July 2019

CrazyGamer2017 said:

We need a Spider man that doesn't change face every other movie. Same with all the other Super Heroes. It used to be that a super hero had a face (Like Superman with Christopher Reeve) Now they face-shift every other movie or so and it takes me out of the story.

What the hell is wrong with staying with Tobey Maguire? Did anyone say I'm done with Spidey if Tobey is still it? I'm done with Superman if Brandon Routh is still it?

And don't get too attached to Henry Cavill cause how long till he is also replaced?

Agreed.

It's a terrible practice but necessary evil i guess cause after the failure of Spider-Man 3 Sony just didn't know what to do with the franchise so they just rebooted it. Spider-Man 4 would've definitely saved the franchise had Sam Raimy been given the chance.