Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most beautiful 2D game ever

I'm not a platformer fan anymore, but I still like 2.5D and isometric classic RPG, and some funny 2D adventures and action games, so:

Planescape: Torment  (with patches for higher res screens, I used the 1280x800 one on my old laptop)

Gobliiins

Super Cane Magic Zero

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Counting 2.5 Games too, i would say Klonoa, old but still today a beautiful game

The is no one game for this title tbh the styles are too diverse, 2D is probably the most complete approach in gaming.

The Swapper is another of my favorites with its haunting retro sci-fi look

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Trine 2 on Wii U

Around the Network

Ori and the blind forest.

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

LuccaCardoso1 said:

I'm surprised more people didn't mention Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. It's easily the most beautiful 2D game imo.

It's not a hugely popular game.  So, fewer people have played it.  This is a good reminder to me to pick it up though.  

Looks like Ori is the top seed.

tripenfall said:
Trine 2 on Wii U

Damn right; in purely artistic terms it's probably still the most beautiful game I've ever played, even though plenty of newer games that are also artistically lovely have long since eclipsed it technologically.

In just a few months, Trine 4 comes out; we'll see it if it can claim its ancestor's crown.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

In terms of pure 2D fighting games, it has to go to King of Fighters Xiii.