By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii getting a new retail release in its 13th year

Just Dance 2020 releases for the original Wii this November, seven years after the system's replacement.

Funnily enough, it's skipping a generation, coming to Wii and Switch but no longer Wii U.

This entry marks the 10th annual release of the Just Dance series.

Despite no longer being the craze it was at its peak, (where Just Dance 3 topped 10 million on the Wii alone) the series still lives on; for example, it is used in hospitals to help patients with physical rehabilitation, exercise, and morale. 

Ubisoft also states that "lot of our players are children and families who continue to play on Wii".

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/20/18662890/just-dance-2020-wii-hospitals-families-xbox-one-stadia-playstation4-nintendo-switch

Around the Network

How long was the PS2 supported with games? With the Wii, I thought it also was getting 12+ years of support

RolStoppable said:
Well, Nintendo paid the price for turning their back on Wii gamers. If Ubisoft is smarter than you, then you know you've messed up big time.

Right? I didn't buy all those damn Operation Rainfall games for Nintendo to abandon us. My poor Wii. Where is my Wii Fit 2?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
How long was the PS2 supported with games? With the Wii, I thought it also was getting 12+ years of support

PS2's last game was Pro Evolution Soccer 2014, in it's 14th year.

It's so nuts to think the Wii is getting a new retail release after its online services have been canned and the hardware has been discontinued since 2017 (2013 in Japan and Europe I think).

I really would've thought the last Just Dance would be the last on Wii. But it's gotta be coming to the end. I wonder where retailers even put the Wii release? I'd imagine a lot of people get it from Amazon and Best Buy.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

the ps2 came out in 2000, also this

http://www.ps2home.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/FIFA-14-PS2-box.jpg

Although that did come out in 2013 and not the year on the box it does mean that the ps2 was also getting games still 13 years after launch, I mean... if there is money to be made a company will always consider a port regardless of the lack of power in the old hardware, it doesn't matter for stuff like football and dancing games, those don't take any more cpu or AI power than they did 20 years ago, I guess you just forego the ability to sell lootboxs in those legacy versions of games as old hardware often has had the online stores removed, so they won't be selling new dlc songs on the Wii version of that dance title.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Keep in mind as well, it's not like Nintendo isn't still making bank on the Wii having been such a giant success for them.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mario-kart-wii-has-sold-five-times-as-many-units-as-mario-kart-8-wii-u-version-during-fy2018.113544/

That is to say that Mario Kart Wii sold 100k copies during the 2018 fiscal year, to put that in perspective that is to say that last year Mario Kart wii sold 1/12th the total sales of The Last guardian on the PS4.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I heard this is the last Just Dance game for the Wii?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
I heard this is the last Just Dance game for the Wii?

Maybe, but there's been no confirmation of that.

RolStoppable said:
Well, Nintendo paid the price for turning their back on Wii gamers. If Ubisoft is smarter than you, then you know you've messed up big time.

I've thought about this too, but the right path is always far clearer in retrospect. And it's not like they hadn't already set themselves on the trajectory for Wii U (from a software dev side) years in advance of its launch.

But people would be screaming about "I can't believe Nintendo is still focused on this ancient Wii console!" And the gaming press would think holding onto the Wii would have been about the most foolish thing a gaming company had ever done. We only know it would have been the right choice in retrospect, because we saw the horrific result of Wii U, and know Nintendo would have certainly been FAR better off continuing Wii support until the launch of the Switch. 

I'd guess that the Switch was really the sort of console they wanted as a Wii replacement, but the tech wasn't quite there.

Other options could have been a clear stop-gap Wii HD. I don't think splitting dev resources was ever a real option given Nintendo was already stretched thin.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 27 June 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.