By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Sony's PS5 is definitely more powerful than Microsoft Project Scarlett

Which will be the more powerful?

PS5 53 63.86%

XB4 30 36.14%

Total:83

PS5 and Anaconda will have similar specs, I believe. Just a guess. Nothing is official yet, so just guessing.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

SammyGiireal said:
The PS4 and Xbox one were very similar...the PS4 being more power (has for the most part delivered even most recent games at 1080p while the base Xbox One has sunk as low as 864p in titles like RDR2)...from what I have seen both next gen consoles have a similar architecture...I assume the gap will be close one way or the other...I think Collin is a Sony guy so I can't really trust anything he says...wait until digital foundry has their final say.

The big thing happening next gen is Ray Tracing.
Microsoft has outright stated that Scarlett will have hardware accelerated Ray Tracing.
Sony has stated it's Playstation 5 console can do Ray Tracing but no mention on whether it is hardware accelerated.

PC variant of Navi doesn't have hardware accelerated Ray Tracing, but can still do it via brute force essentially... But then again, so could the base Xbox One.

If The Xbox 5 has hardware accelerated Ray Tracing and the Playstation 5 does not, then that is a significant advantage in the Xbox's favor... Irrespective of the similar base hardware architecture. (Zen+Navi+GDDR6+SSD)

Hmm an verified insider has already confirmed that PS5 will also have hardware ray-tracing.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

We are reaching the point of diminishing returns on slight upgrades in power. We live in an age where Witcher 3, a game that was developed for consoles more powerful, is about to be available on Switch for portable play. Albeit in this case the difference is noticeable, the point is that it is no longer CAN the weaker console run the game. Unless the difference between Scarlet and PS5 is MASSIVE (it won't be), it will make little to no difference overall.

If someone wants Witcher portable, they will get it on Switch, pixels be damned. Likewise in the next gen, where specs will be alot closer anyway, if people want a game on gamepass or they got their Scarlet for Halo, they will buy the multiplat for that system. If they want their trophy info to continue from the PS4 or PS exclusives interest them more, they will get it on Playstation.

I mean having all 3 consoles myself, I can confirm that even playing Battlefield 4 had no noticeable difference compared to PS4 on the X1 when in motion. Only the people who were looking for fuel for the "console war" truly cared outside of a few tech enthusiasts that are just interested in the comparison.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Last edited by Shiken - on 16 June 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

mutantsushi said:
This has to be the lowest grade rumor you can get. It does the appeal to authority, sourcing it to Sony partner game devs, but then drops the ball with pathetic detail-less "more powerful" claim. WTF does that mean exactly? Why would a technically skilled game developer sharing insider info NOT state exactly what type of superior performance they mean? (CPU, GPU, RAM size/speed) Why would anybody take this as a real insider leak, rather than astroturfed clickbait to escalate the faithful's anticipation while not putting out new info beyond Sony's existing PR schedule? BS.

Pretty much this.  I was wondering the same thing.  With no other info then yeah its significantly more powerful without any direct specifics it just sound like early PR.  That does not mean the PS5 isn't more powerful, it just means this rumor is pretty much nothing.  We will definitely not know anything of real significances until this time next year.  When all is said and done, unless the power can be realize in games to a point its above approach then we could have the 360/PS3 situations.

Power has never been the deciding factor. Xbox One flopped because of their god-awful reveal, followed by Sony's next-day rebuttal of, "We're doing the exact opposite of that." The fact that the PS4 was slightly more powerful was a factor only to further demean Microsoft. If Scarlett is slightly weaker, but has better games, it has the potential to sell more. It always comes down to what the games are, how often they come, and if you can get them elsewhere. Halo at launch will be like having Breath of the Wild at launch.

Around the Network
Medisti said:
Power has never been the deciding factor. Xbox One flopped because of their god-awful reveal, followed by Sony's next-day rebuttal of, "We're doing the exact opposite of that." The fact that the PS4 was slightly more powerful was a factor only to further demean Microsoft. If Scarlett is slightly weaker, but has better games, it has the potential to sell more. It always comes down to what the games are, how often they come, and if you can get them elsewhere. Halo at launch will be like having Breath of the Wild at launch.

You forgot the $100 price difference at launch.

That sourcelink is telling me enough

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

the-pi-guy said:
shikamaru317 said:

Considering we have insiders on the other side of the fence saying that Xbox Scarlett is the more powerful of the two, I have my doubts. It's starting to look like neither batch of insiders has any actual clue what the final specs are.

One thing is for sure. MS knows they are starting in a weaker position since PS4 won this generation, I highly doubt that they will let Sony have the power advantage over them, they saw what happened to XB1 even when it was cheaper than PS4, they know now that alot of people go with the platform with the best quality versions of multiplats. I suspect they will design a powerful Scarlett and sell it at a loss early gen if need be in order to prevent that from happening again. MS literally said in interviews at E3 that they designed Scarlett to "hopefully" be more powerful than PS5.

Since when has the quality of multiplats been a substantial driver for console sales?  Historically that has never been the case.  

The average gamer in a gen buys a console to play with their friends.  Since PS4 got a jump start, it continued momentum even when XB was cheaper because people were still going to buy the same system their friend already had.  

the last 2 generations ?

Otter said:
Medisti said:

You forgot the $100 price difference at launch.

You're right, Otter! I did forget. The fact that Xbox was weaker, cost more, forced Gamepad--I mean, Kinect--purchase, all factors into why it has sold under half of what PS4 did. Quite frankly, I'm amazed it broke 40m.

Trumpstyle said:
Pemalite said:

The big thing happening next gen is Ray Tracing.
Microsoft has outright stated that Scarlett will have hardware accelerated Ray Tracing.
Sony has stated it's Playstation 5 console can do Ray Tracing but no mention on whether it is hardware accelerated.

PC variant of Navi doesn't have hardware accelerated Ray Tracing, but can still do it via brute force essentially... But then again, so could the base Xbox One.

If The Xbox 5 has hardware accelerated Ray Tracing and the Playstation 5 does not, then that is a significant advantage in the Xbox's favor... Irrespective of the similar base hardware architecture. (Zen+Navi+GDDR6+SSD)

Hmm an verified insider has already confirmed that PS5 will also have hardware ray-tracing.

Then feel free to link me to it? Otherwise I'll throw it into the rumor basket and wait on legitimate sources.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--