By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Sony's PS5 is definitely more powerful than Microsoft Project Scarlett

Which will be the more powerful?

PS5 53 63.86%

XB4 30 36.14%

Total:83

Interestingly, in the new DF video, he states that devs are very happy with the PS5, while not saying what they had to say about the XB4. Wonder if this is also hinting at the same thing.

Around the Network

The real question is how much fun we'll have if one is just slightly more powerful than the other.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well, if MS doesn't push their gaming device more for tv usage than game usage, and has more exclusives next gen, they'll probably sell more consoles than this gen. They just screwed up too much early on this gen and never fully recovered, imo.

@Sixteenvolt420
They tried everything except making new quality games. Maybe they should focus on that next gen.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

@thismentiel
I have a feeling that they just don't care. There was an ign survey that said the vast majority wants a next gen PlayStation than anything else. I think even devs are defining next gen based on what sony brings out. Just like gen 8. They will build everything on sony's console then port to everything else. So after they are done experimenting with the ps5 dev kit then they will give the Xbox dev kit a glance.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

I'm all for a super powerful PS5, but this time around the price will very probably be 499 instead of 399. The specs are way too good for 399 unless Sony has a plan to quickly lower production costs.

I'll be there day one regardless, but I worry about more casual gamers getting on board early on.

Pemalite said:
drkohler said:

No it won't. This gen, a 0.5TFlop (1.8 vs 1.3) difference made a noticeable difference in the end. With next gen, a 0.5TF difference will be almost unnoticeable (don't expect a higher difference than 0.5-1TFlop, as both fight within the same power envelope). If/when both consoles are around 10TFlop (of "Navi - TFlops"), a few % difference just doesn't cut it.

It will boil down to "Who shouts louder?" and who has the better exclusives.

Flops is irrelevant.

SammyGiireal said:
The PS4 and Xbox one were very similar...the PS4 being more power (has for the most part delivered even most recent games at 1080p while the base Xbox One has sunk as low as 864p in titles like RDR2)...from what I have seen both next gen consoles have a similar architecture...I assume the gap will be close one way or the other...I think Collin is a Sony guy so I can't really trust anything he says...wait until digital foundry has their final say.

The big thing happening next gen is Ray Tracing.
Microsoft has outright stated that Scarlett will have hardware accelerated Ray Tracing.
Sony has stated it's Playstation 5 console can do Ray Tracing but no mention on whether it is hardware accelerated.

PC variant of Navi doesn't have hardware accelerated Ray Tracing, but can still do it via brute force essentially... But then again, so could the base Xbox One.

If The Xbox 5 has hardware accelerated Ray Tracing and the Playstation 5 does not, then that is a significant advantage in the Xbox's favor... Irrespective of the similar base hardware architecture. (Zen+Navi+GDDR6+SSD)

jason1637 said:
So it sounds like the PS5 devkit is more powerful than the Scarlet devkit. Are dev kits a good representation of the final products power?

Depends on the devkit variant.
Some early Xbox 360 dev kits used a Mac, which were close enough but not a match for the Xbox 360 environment.

HollyGamer said:

As we know Microsoft will be using DirectX while Sony will be more primitive and closer to the metal codding. While indeed Scarlet can also do close to the metal coding either, but none of their games will be exclusives to their consoles and they are ditching console only games and also will be optimize for PC and Xbox One, so we will see Scarlet like console akin to Steam machine or PC gaming (using directX).

No.
Microsoft will leverage Direct X+Low Level API.
Sony will leverage Vulkan+Low Level API.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft have an advantage in this area, neither will be "closer to the metal" than each other.

HollyGamer said:

Sony in other hand will be even better , because they will utilize all their resource without directX bloated API and will focus on PS5 as standard.

That is only your opinion and may not be fact.

HollyGamer said:

Xbox Scarlet will be limited by Xbox One and low cost PC budget in designing games. while PS5 will be a true leap if it's games made exclusively for PS5 (first party or 3rd party exclusives games).

Scarlet will be no more limited by the Xbox One and PC than the Playstation 5 will be limited by the Playstation 4 and PC.

Contrary to popular belief... The games library of the Playstation and Xbox tend to be identical for the most part, exclusives are a very tiny fraction of the overall games library.

All other things being equal, exclusives will be a major factor in choosing a path between the two consoles. This gen, the disparity in this department has been absolutely glaring and has not gone unnoticed by either side. It's not just the number of exclusives, but the quality of them, and Sony has certainly delivered.

The other thing is that damn near everything Microsoft puts out is also available on the PC and they seem to be going even more in that direction, as well as starting to put things out for Nintendo's hw as well. There's less and less reason to buy an Xbox of any sort.

Dante9 said:
Pemalite said:

Contrary to popular belief... The games library of the Playstation and Xbox tend to be identical for the most part, exclusives are a very tiny fraction of the overall games library.

All other things being equal, exclusives will be a major factor in choosing a path between the two consoles. This gen, the disparity in this department has been absolutely glaring and has not gone unnoticed by either side. It's not just the number of exclusives, but the quality of them, and Sony has certainly delivered.

The other thing is that damn near everything Microsoft puts out is also available on the PC and they seem to be going even more in that direction, as well as starting to put things out for Nintendo's hw as well. There's less and less reason to buy an Xbox of any sort.

Exclusives are a deciding factor for allot of gamers, Halo for instance shifted millions of consoles, same goes for Uncharted.
But for the most part, the bulk of the games library on Playstation and Xbox is identical... I personally don't care much for either Sony or Microsoft's exclusives except for a couple franchises, others of course will hold a different view and find either platform worth a purchase just for a single game.

And you are right, I am primarily a PC gamer, Microsoft placing it's games on PC is very much a benefit to me and a detriment to my purchases on Xbox, I will always get a game on PC first. (And if I like it, buy a second copy for Xbox.)
But the same holds true for Playstation, many console-exclusive games on Playstation get a PC release as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Well I don't give much mind to rumors so I'll keep on the both will be very near in power.

But will also keep in mind that some people have been saying for months that it's certain that MS would never allow PS5 to be more powerful than XB4, so let's see.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pemalite said:
drkohler said:

No it won't. This gen, a 0.5TFlop (1.8 vs 1.3) difference made a noticeable difference in the end. With next gen, a 0.5TF difference will be almost unnoticeable (don't expect a higher difference than 0.5-1TFlop, as both fight within the same power envelope). If/when both consoles are around 10TFlop (of "Navi - TFlops"), a few % difference just doesn't cut it.

It will boil down to "Who shouts louder?" and who has the better exclusives.

Flops is irrelevant.

SammyGiireal said:
The PS4 and Xbox one were very similar...the PS4 being more power (has for the most part delivered even most recent games at 1080p while the base Xbox One has sunk as low as 864p in titles like RDR2)...from what I have seen both next gen consoles have a similar architecture...I assume the gap will be close one way or the other...I think Collin is a Sony guy so I can't really trust anything he says...wait until digital foundry has their final say.

The big thing happening next gen is Ray Tracing.
Microsoft has outright stated that Scarlett will have hardware accelerated Ray Tracing.
Sony has stated it's Playstation 5 console can do Ray Tracing but no mention on whether it is hardware accelerated.

PC variant of Navi doesn't have hardware accelerated Ray Tracing, but can still do it via brute force essentially... But then again, so could the base Xbox One.

If The Xbox 5 has hardware accelerated Ray Tracing and the Playstation 5 does not, then that is a significant advantage in the Xbox's favor... Irrespective of the similar base hardware architecture. (Zen+Navi+GDDR6+SSD)

jason1637 said:
So it sounds like the PS5 devkit is more powerful than the Scarlet devkit. Are dev kits a good representation of the final products power?

Depends on the devkit variant.
Some early Xbox 360 dev kits used a Mac, which were close enough but not a match for the Xbox 360 environment.

HollyGamer said:

As we know Microsoft will be using DirectX while Sony will be more primitive and closer to the metal codding. While indeed Scarlet can also do close to the metal coding either, but none of their games will be exclusives to their consoles and they are ditching console only games and also will be optimize for PC and Xbox One, so we will see Scarlet like console akin to Steam machine or PC gaming (using directX).

No.
Microsoft will leverage Direct X+Low Level API.
Sony will leverage Vulkan+Low Level API.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft have an advantage in this area, neither will be "closer to the metal" than each other.

HollyGamer said:

Sony in other hand will be even better , because they will utilize all their resource without directX bloated API and will focus on PS5 as standard.

That is only your opinion and may not be fact.

HollyGamer said:

Xbox Scarlet will be limited by Xbox One and low cost PC budget in designing games. while PS5 will be a true leap if it's games made exclusively for PS5 (first party or 3rd party exclusives games).

Scarlet will be no more limited by the Xbox One and PC than the Playstation 5 will be limited by the Playstation 4 and PC.

First party games on Sony showed they go lower level than MS.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."