Forums - Politics Discussion - Muslim parents in UK protest school children's storybook featuring same gender parents

Snoopy said:
Hiku said:

I'm not doing your homework for you. I want links to the specified quotes.

First the critique of of Christians views on same sex marriage. And then praising Islam in a relevant context that's unreasonable.

Apparently, you didn't read my post carefully. I said liberals praise Islam while hating Christianity for its values. Even though Islam beliefs is much stricter. Here is Bill Maher calling liberals out on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkWtcy5GFZI

I did read your post carefully. I phrased it that way to give you an opportunity to give a relevant answer.
Someone can praise Islam for something other than their views on LGBT, and not be a hypocrite for criticizing someone elses views on LGBT.

In the video you linked at 3:38, the guy says "certain liberals."
And because I read your post carefully, I see that you did not use the term 'certain'. You just said liberals.

I should not have to tell you that The Young Turks do not represent all liberals. And Bill Maher has his own show, so he can say whatever he wants there.

This forum however is not your personal outlet to attack everyone of an opposing view for something someone may or may not have said somewhere, with generalized statements like that when the thread called for no such thing.
If you want to call out someone for being a hypocrite for something they said, that's fine as long as you can back it up. But you didn't even say "The Young Turks are such hypocrites."

We are cracking down on these type of generalized attacks on groups with opposing views, because they are a major source of contention in this forum section. Especially when they're disingenuous. And especially when you've done it before: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8213329

Consider this a notice that we don't want to see that from you ever again.

Last edited by Hiku - on 01 June 2019

Around the Network

If religious people don't like what secular public schools teach, then they should pull their kids out and put them in a private school that will teach them whatever fundamentalist dogma they want. But a secular public school will teach children verifiable facts, and religious people need to accept that they cannot and will not change that.

I look at Muslims the same way I do any other religious group: They don't deserve to be marginalized or persecuted, but on the flip side they should not expect society writ large to conform to their religious doctrines. I don't particularly care what their scriptures say. I'm under no obligation to agree with what they think their god says. Society is under no obligation to ban something that offends someone's religious beliefs any more than it is to oblige, say, a vegan by banning meat for everyone else. Society's rules should only ban things that cause obvious, demonstrable harm to others, and as I said our schools should be teaching curricula that reflect what the actual experts on the subject material have to say.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 31 May 2019

I seem to remember Birmingham being moreso about a school curriculum doing more to confuse children about sex than not.

Regardless, this is just another case of the left learning that while they defend Islam, it's still a conservative Abrahamic religion at the end of the day.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

sundin13 said:
o_O.Q said:

so you don't see any problems arising out of only using a person's stated identity to determine their gender?

I am asking you to explain your issue with the image. Asking me questions about what I think about it doesn't really get us any closer to an answer.

the image proposes that gender is derived from stated identity and is unrelated to physiology

did you not understand that before hand?

o_O.Q said:
sundin13 said:

I am asking you to explain your issue with the image. Asking me questions about what I think about it doesn't really get us any closer to an answer.

the image proposes that gender is derived from stated identity and is unrelated to physiology

Gender: the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

As per Merriam Webster.

Seems consistent with the image to me.

Around the Network
sundin13 said: /
o_O.Q said:

Gender: the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

As per Merriam Webster.

the image separates gender and physiology/sex because the underlying philosophy is that they are unrelated

you yourself have espoused this philosophy yourself, why are you now pretending that you don't know what this is proposing?

the official website for that image links to/sources an article with this as the title

"

It’s Time For People to Stop Using the Social Construct of “Biological Sex” to Defend Their Transmisogyny"

o_O.Q said:
sundin13 said: /

As per Merriam Webster.

the image separates gender and physiology/sex because the underlying philosophy is that they are unrelated

you yourself have espoused this philosophy yourself, why are you now pretending that you don't know what this is proposing?

I believe that is a false assumption. The philosophy is not that they are unrelated but instead that they are not mutually inclusive. In other words, yes, gender and sex tend to align in most individuals, however, this alignment is not fundamental, meaning that other individuals may not experience, identify or express gender in the ways that most typically do.

And I don't know what you are referencing with your second sentence.

sundin13 said:
o_O.Q said:

I believe that is a false assumption. The philosophy is not that they are unrelated but instead that they are not mutually inclusive. In other words, yes, gender and sex tend to align in most individuals, however, this alignment is not fundamental, meaning that other individuals may not experience, identify or express gender in the ways that most typically do.

And I don't know what you are referencing with your second sentence.

"The philosophy is not that they are unrelated but instead that they are not mutually inclusive. In other words, yes, gender and sex tend to align in most individuals, however, this alignment is not fundamental, meaning that other individuals may not experience, identify or express gender in the ways that most typically do."

this is not the philosophy at play here, this is:

"Gender Expression/Presentation: The physical manifestation of one’s gender identity through clothing, hairstyle, voice, body shape, etc. Most transgender people seek to make their gender expression (how they look) match their gender identity (who they are), rather than their sex assigned at birth."

if a person assigned male at birth identifies as a woman and then changes their clothing and behavior to emulate women, is that person a man or woman in your opinion?

o_O.Q said:

"Gender Expression/Presentation: The physical manifestation of one’s gender identity through clothing, hairstyle, voice, body shape, etc. Most transgender people seek to make their gender expression (how they look) match their gender identity (who they are), rather than their sex assigned at birth."

Pray tell, what is the issue with this statement? It is simply saying that some people choose to not conform with gender norms. That is about as non-controversial as possible...

sundin13 said:
o_O.Q said:

Pray tell, what is the issue with this statement? It is simply saying that some people choose to not conform with gender norms. That is about as non-controversial as possible...

as i've said it proposes that gender and sex are unrelated and that what determines gender is clothing, hair, etc etc etc

why did you refuse to answer my question?

"if a person assigned male at birth identifies as a woman and then changes their clothing and behavior to emulate women, is that person a man or woman in your opinion?"

i think what concerns me the most about this philosophy is the lengths people are willing to go to in attempts to mask what is being proposed