25 million 1 9.09%

26 million 1 9.09%

27 million 0 0%

28 million 1 9.09%

29 million 0 0%

30+ million 8 72.73%

Total:11
Runa216 said:
My prices are at 120, but, like....eeeeh. I gave up on this game.

I Recently saw a video about 'new updates coming to Animal Crossing New Horizons', meant to look like a Nintendo Direct. It was fake, but seeing that video made me realize just how deliberately frustrating and obtuse Animal Crossing actually is. Just a lot of forced redundancy and purposefully clunky controls meant to make you go slower and struggle more. I just went looking for it and apparently it doesn't exist anymore (It was either deleted or went private; Nintendo probably filed a lawsuit because...well...I love Nintendo games and products but seriously fuck their iron grip on their IPs and complete lack of respect for their audience)

But yeah, little things were always slightly naggy to me in this game, and seeing about a dozen of them outright laid out for us and all the remarkably simple ways the game could be made better made me realize....nope. I went from playing this game 5-8 hours a day and loving it to...I think I kinda hate it now just for how little it respects its players. I put over 75 hours into the game making it I think my 5th most played game on the Switch...and I might never touch it again now that I really saw how deliberately frustrating and time-wasting the game is.

You cynical, entitled brat. How dare you complain about this game that Nintendo clearly over delivered on. You should be grateful to have payed $60 for this great act of generosity. You need a shift in perspective.

More seriously, this is pretty funny coming from you. "Do as I say, not as I do" and all that I suppose. The thing is, the comment of yours I'm parodying was over a game with a situation very different to this one. There was no sudden shift in quality or content standards. It was clear from the get go that New Horizons was going to be an Animal Crossing game that improves on it's predecessors, but is still very much an Animal Crossing game a.k.a. slow actionless tactile chore simulator. You only have yourself to blame for not realizing this before purchasing. I'm not just trying to ridicule you here, keyword being "just" hehe, but hopefully you learn from this and will better research games before buying in to future.

Also, don't completely abandon the game, just take a break from it. Come back to it in a few months when there will be a new season with new stuff to do as well as all the free updates since then.

Around the Network

The game does hit brick wall when you play it for over hour or two everyday. They even suggest to you to use nook miles tickets when you run out of things to do on your island but even that is just a temporary solution. The game is mainly meant to be played in short burst but that doesn't excuse some of the game faults.

My biggest issue is that they have all this back dialog from games past yet conversations still seem very limited with neighbors. It's like they say same stuff all the time. Happened in a lot in previous Animal Crossing games. The variation is there but one shouldn't have to try to talk to neighbor over and over again just to see it. There should be more I left nacho cheese chips behind sofa and found it month later comments.

I don't have too much complaints and my island didn't start looking good till about 100+ hours. I'm sitting at 175 hours now and still see at least another 200-300 before I even get bored with game. And if I do get temporary bored with game I can just skip a few days or barely play. If the game starts feeling like a chore then it's time to give it a break.

sethnintendo said:
My biggest issue is that they have all this back dialog from games past yet conversations still seem very limited with neighbors. It's like they say same stuff all the time. Happened in a lot in previous Animal Crossing games. The variation is there but one shouldn't have to try to talk to neighbor over and over again just to see it. There should be more I left nacho cheese chips behind sofa and found it month later comments.

The dialogue has always been repetitive ya but I think it was still better in the old games. You were given choices on what to say more often, and these choices mattered since your neighbors could actually get upset if you said the wrong thing or really happy if you said the best thing. I enjoyed figuring out what to say and what not to say, this made seeing repeated dialogue less bothersome. Also, it seems in New Horizons neighbors barely ask for favors anymore. I've not even had one barge into my house, feels lonely man.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Runa216 said:
My prices are at 120, but, like....eeeeh. I gave up on this game.

I Recently saw a video about 'new updates coming to Animal Crossing New Horizons', meant to look like a Nintendo Direct. It was fake, but seeing that video made me realize just how deliberately frustrating and obtuse Animal Crossing actually is. Just a lot of forced redundancy and purposefully clunky controls meant to make you go slower and struggle more. I just went looking for it and apparently it doesn't exist anymore (It was either deleted or went private; Nintendo probably filed a lawsuit because...well...I love Nintendo games and products but seriously fuck their iron grip on their IPs and complete lack of respect for their audience)

But yeah, little things were always slightly naggy to me in this game, and seeing about a dozen of them outright laid out for us and all the remarkably simple ways the game could be made better made me realize....nope. I went from playing this game 5-8 hours a day and loving it to...I think I kinda hate it now just for how little it respects its players. I put over 75 hours into the game making it I think my 5th most played game on the Switch...and I might never touch it again now that I really saw how deliberately frustrating and time-wasting the game is.

You cynical, entitled brat. How dare you complain about this game that Nintendo clearly over delivered on. You should be grateful to have payed $60 for this great act of generosity. You need a shift in perspective.

More seriously, this is pretty funny coming from you. "Do as I say, not as I do" and all that I suppose. The thing is, the comment of yours I'm parodying was over a game with a situation very different to this one. There was no sudden shift in quality or content standards. It was clear from the get go that New Horizons was going to be an Animal Crossing game that improves on it's predecessors, but is still very much an Animal Crossing game a.k.a. slow actionless tactile chore simulator. You only have yourself to blame for not realizing this before purchasing. I'm not just trying to ridicule you here, keyword being "just" hehe, but hopefully you learn from this and will better research games before buying in to future.

Also, don't completely abandon the game, just take a break from it. Come back to it in a few months when there will be a new season with new stuff to do as well as all the free updates since then.

A few things:

1 - I didn't buy the game. My brother bought it for me so we could play together. It was a gift. 

2 - There's a huge difference between a game that deliberately wastes players' time and a game that had to cut some content to meet deadlines. There's a world of difference between being purposely obtuse to waste time and regrettably cut content. 

3 - the issue I have with animal Crossing isn't the chores - I loved shakin' trees and pickin' fruit and planting and building and laying out my island. the core gameplay loop is quite enjoyable and why I stuck with the game so long. the PROBLEM is how you do it all. Going into your menus is a chore, talking to people is a chore, crafting is a chore, getting things assessed or donating is a chore, finding out how much something is worth is a chore. I get that the game is basically comprised of chores, I'm okay with that, but the design elements of it are specifically tweaked to waste as much time as they can. why should I listen to Blathers' inane squawking in slow motion every time I wanna donate a fossil? why in the world must I start a 7-layer-deep conversation with Tom Nook if I accidentally press A at the wrong time (which happens a lot since 90% of this game is 'mashing A to scroll through redundant dialogue'). you can't just go back one level, you have to start ALL over again. 

Every little thing regarding the UI seems purposefully designed to waste entirely too much time. I get that the game is really only supposed to be maybe 1-2 hours a day to do your daily chores and update stuff and talk to your villagers, but if that's the case, why does everything take 2-3x as long as it should? that 5-8 hours I was doing for a while really was only getting about 2-3 hours worth of work done, the rest was all struggling through the menus you have to scroll through every time you wanna do something or mashing through a conversation you've literally had hundreds of times already or waiting for the painfully slow animations. 

I want to like this game, and if they can fix these issues I will, but I don't think Nintendo sees them as issues. they designed it this way for a reason, and I don't like that. 

It's a well-made game aside from that. the core gameplay loop is fun and relaxing and exactly what the world needs right now. I really do understand why it's such a major success and I hope it continues to sell well...but my time has value and I'd rather not waste it on a game that deliberately takes so much more time than it should. Yeah, I've put 75 hours into the game, but based on what I've accomplished it's only like 30 hours worth of work. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I gave up on turnips, they take up too much space, and I don't like checking turnip prices.
Also, I profit more than I need from my massive gold rose plantation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I can make golden gears, bars and casket so far. Probably looking to get golden toilet made for me in a couple days.

I wish it was easy to invite former villagers back into the town after they've left. Maybe send a message to bring them over to spend a day at the camping site, and from there you can reminisce about old times or invite them back.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
I wish it was easy to invite former villagers back into the town after they've left. Maybe send a message to bring them over to spend a day at the camping site, and from there you can reminisce about old times or invite them back.

Is even it possible at all? It was in New Leaf, neighbors who moved out would visit the shopping district, and after a number of other neighbors move in and out, it becomes possible to invite them back. I've had one neighbor leave so far in New Horizons and haven't seen em since.

Just got Judy today, she's my first snooty and my first A-tier villager (I only had D, E and F-tier villagers so far)

Man, it was hard convince her to came to my island. I finally got her after 27 times shutting down my game because I was losing in her card game 80% of time and she was always asking for one of my favorite villagers (Dora, Hamlet, Lucy, Avery) to move out. I finally got her and now Huck is moving

I like him but I feel he doesn't really like me, never wrote a letter, never give me gifts or reactions. Maybe it's time for him to move out. Now I'm going to chase a new Smug villager

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 16 May 2020

https://youtu.be/XO0ilQCFRdI

If anyone wants to become rich overnight the above video shows how to duplicate all items. The expensive bug farming trick only ever worked once for me but this one works. I now have unlimited gold stones and I've made more money in last 2 hours than I did in my first one month of playing the game. Of course Nintendo will kill this bug in the next update but I am going to enjoy it to the fullest while it lasts.