Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic buys out Psyonix devs, set to bar game from Steam

I predict that we will start seeing Valve actually restarting to make proper games from past franchises to differentiate themselves from Epic Games Store down the line.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Nicet get from Epic. Wonder who else they plan to buy.

thetonestarr said:
Steam takes too large a cut from game sales. I don't like the EGS by any means, but the premise behind what they're doing is anything but anti-consumer.

It may make things slightly harder on consumers in the short run, but if it benefits devs, it benefits consumers in the long run.

How, how do you know that it will make things amazingly great, specifically for PC gamers?. All we've been hearing is the promise of "better" games, so what are all these great games we've been getting for decades doing, being released yearly?.

Also, how do you know it is a short term harming effect?. DO you know exactly when this harm to consumers ends?.

Also, what about all the other companies out there, that take their 30% cut?. I refuse to believe that everyone but Valve are auto excused from being able to take 30%, it's bullshit to think as such. No one here even knows exactly what Valve are paying for in terms of maintenance, absolutely no one, not even Randy, not even the Meatboy dev. 

Nautilus said:
I understand why you are upset, but I dont get how this is setting a new "low" for Epic.They are doing the smart move in trying to overtake the pc space, and as the last few months has shown, its paying off for them.

In the example you gave about Valve buying Campo Santo and not making them exclusives to Steam, but your example is flawed.They didnt tie them up to a store because they didnt need to, they owned the market, for better or for worse.You need to understand that they are a company, and a company that butting heads with Valve, a ginat in the videogame market.They are not going to win the fight by being nice.It sucks that you are being get in the crossfire, but thats just how things are.

And honestly, 95% of the PC users dont care.At all.Its "mostly" the same if they buy from Valve or from Epic, because what they care about is the product, not the company.And honestly, service features, as Epic has been showing through their success, is less important than people think.I mean, its important, but its not a life or death situation, and the most important thing is, as we all knew ever since gaming was born, is that its the games that matter.

PC is finally catching up to the consoles wars, in a way.You may think thats bad, anmd I honestly dont care, but this is good for the consumers in the long run, because it stops Valve from being as lazy as they have been, and make companies be more competitive, and bring better products for us.

The new low, is that they are targeting devs to poach, to then allow them to take their games off of Steam. This isn't a smart move at all. All this little childish "war" is doing, is splitting and creating a clear divide between those that side with Epic, and those that side with Valve. This isn't what the gaming industry needs, when has it ever needed such a vulgar and disgusting divide?. 

Except no, I mentioned Santo because Valve are allowing them to make their games and still release elsewhere. Epic on the other hand, are taking an existing game, made well before this recent deal, off of Steam. Steam hasn't bought up Santo just to take their games off of other storefronts, that's the biggest difference here and if you cannot see that, then I'm sorry but I cannot help you at all in that matter. 

I understand it perfectly. I understand what Epic is trying to do, and it is absolutely not in my best interests, or other gamers, who are currently still talking about what Epic is doing to the PC market. It may be good to you, but what of me, do I suddenly not matter at all?. If I did matter, then where does our little conundrum end?, with me leaving the PC space, because one company became so salty over a decade ago, about a platform that they couldn't control, which ended up with them feeling to a console, only to come back and try controlling that market all over again?.

Epic are actually worth more than Valve, in case you didn't already know. They have one of the world's most profitable games. They have one of the world's most used engines by a country mile, and they have more income support via another party, than Valve ever could, yet somehow, Valve are the biggest, if not largest company out there?. Naw man, that ain't it. 

This isn't about being nice. Jesus man, I don't get any of you folk on here, or anywhere else, that see this sort of thing as healthy" or "normal", or "just business", like it's something that's just to be accepted and praised for. It makes me question what would you folk do if you had your very lives taken away, would you even bother fighting against something, even if you had very little chances (likely not, because you're seen here excusing practical bs in the face of anything else, summing it up with "it just happens").

Again, this isn't about being "Nice", this is about showing actual consumers, the lifeblood of many an industry, that they care, that they want your money, that they want to work for it in an honest manner, not some scrappy underhanded one. Are you not even aware of good business practices and tactics?, because if so, why haven't you tried to sum any up that Epic could use, instead of just falling back onto excusing the vulgar ones?. 

This whole "it needs to happen" logic is borked, because why would it need to happen, when there are clearly other ways of doing business?. This whole "it can only be done this way" itself is flawed, because it doesn't. You just think it needs to, because you think you know how to run an open ended market, and think everyone would just accept it that way of being run (which I don't already).

You say 95%, but can you actually even lay a claim to that with evidence, apart from small sales data (that isn't entirely spun in such a way). 

Can I ask you, are features not important to you?, because that would give me a good look into your mind if the answer is "no". I don't do fence sitter answers either, it's a simple yes or no answer. 

I honestly don't care what logic is spun, in the defense of bad tactics. All I see is long term damage and a group of people, who aren't even a part of this side of the industry, telling me straight to my face, that this is "objectively good for you", without actually seeing into the future itself, but basing that entirely from personal knowledge, of a different market, one that isn't open ended and is entirely different in it's nature. 

Valve are making games, but I'll say this. I Think Ubisoft are lazy in the way they design games and design PC ports, as well as them designing games I think are gutter trash, but guess what?, you think the same of Valve in terms of games you clearly don't like, so in that respect, I don't care what appeals to you, because you'll never care for what appeals to me.

LudicrousSpeed said:

PC gamers don’t like it because it’s a tiny inconvenience to have a different launcher that loads up when they click on the game. It’s not as if the player base will be split up among Steam and EGS users. It’s not as if Steam users have to buy the game all over again. You might need to use a different launcher. Oh my.

I could see an uproar if they weren’t going to support the game on Steam after it launches on EGS later this year, but they’ve already said they would. 

It's tiny in your eyes, but that is expected, because to you, it's nowt of any sort of issue to even see. 

"you need to use a different launcher, oh my" 

You see that there, that's when you just lose it. 

They've effectively said they will support those that "own" it, not the people that could still want to purchase it on Steam in the future, which they won't be able to. Of course they have to support those existing customers, do you think it'd be sane in any plane of reality, to just cut off millions of consumers on one storefront alone?. I mean really, do you?. It's a no brainer, of course they wouldn't, because that's asinine and completely bonkers to even suggest the thought. 

Intrinsic said:
So would this be ok for you if Epic bought the studio but didn't have a store to lock it to?

It would have been fine for them to purchase the studio (despite knowing an inkling of what they have planned), but when you purchase the studio and take a game that was released a few years back, off of one storefront in particular that it was released on, that's when things become obvious and not so great. 

Like think about it. Of all the studios they'd bought, it happened to be one with a game that's also popular like FN, also contains visuals that appeal to all ages, and just happens to have a retained audience on Steam's storefront?. They want to force Steam user's hands. They want them stripped from Steam and put into their storefront, either via sheer annoyance, or just giving up and purchasing from them (which Sweeney is easily betting on, without a doubt). 

I imagine either this year or the next few, Epic will do this again, where they see what sells the most on Steam, then proceed to snatch up both the devs and it's popular game. This strategy doesn't benefit the consumer, it just benefits Epic 

AbbathTheGrim said:
I predict that we will start seeing Valve actually restarting to make proper games from past franchises to differentiate themselves from Epic Games Store down the line.

What Proper games?.

Like, another HL?, with only one writer from the original. Is that what you few on here really want, a watered down has-bin sequel, that will never live up to it's predecessors?.

Another Left 4 Dead?, when we already have Dying Light, WWZ and many more zombie games coming out yearly now?. What could L$D3 possibly do, that warrants an excellent rating, and worldwide attention, that also happens to set itself, absolutely and completely apart, from what we've already seen and played on this current market.

Again, the same goes for the likes of TF2, what would Tf3 be?. Another samey class based shooter, with a BR mode tacked on the end, like everyone else is doing these days?. Nothing knew or unique there. We've already seen the 9 classes the game has, what else could they add, that warrants it being unique and proper?.

Another Portal?. Another Portal, with yet another set of puzzle rooms, and another robotic villain, with yet another similar robotic monotone voicebox?.

Like, I'm not trying to be sarcy or anything, but I flat out do not see why rehashing and spamming old and existing franchises, somehow warrants as "new and fresh", or "truly unique", especially when we know they are done and dusted games, that have already executed done and dusted game design mechanics, and tropes that even other devs use to this day. I just see zero point in following the Ubisoft initiative, where you let something die for a year or two, then spam the crap out of it over and over until audiences get mad, rinse and repeat. That's Ubisoft's idea, and some people like it, but I personally think it's self destructive and waters down the medium as a whole. it warps people into thinking more of the same is better than once in a lifetime, truly unique or one hit wonder type experiences/games. 

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Intrinsic said:
So would this be ok for you if Epic bought the studio but didn't have a store to lock it to?

It would have been fine for them to purchase the studio (despite knowing an inkling of what they have planned), but when you purchase the studio and take a game that was released a few years back, off of one storefront in particular that it was released on, that's when things become obvious and not so great. 

Like think about it. Of all the studios they'd bought, it happened to be one with a game that's also popular like FN, also contains visuals that appeal to all ages, and just happens to have a retained audience on Steam's storefront?. They want to force Steam user's hands. They want them stripped from Steam and put into their storefront, either via sheer annoyance, or just giving up and purchasing from them (which Sweeney is easily betting on, without a doubt). 

I imagine either this year or the next few, Epic will do this again, where they see what sells the most on Steam, then proceed to snatch up both the devs and it's popular game. This strategy doesn't benefit the consumer, it just benefits Epic 

So does epic owing the studio and its IPs now prevent anyone that had previously bought the game on steam from playing it? Like has it somehow autodeleted from your steam library or just won't work anymore?

Or is it only going to mean anyone wanting to buy it now will have to buy it from the epic store?

Anyways, just know its going to get worse. Eventually, EA will start doing what EPIC is doing. As will steam too. You can't support and champion the open nature of the PC market then start whining when you see just what being open truly means. You are lucky Epic doesn't do something like say if you use the unreal engine to make your game you can only release said game on PC if its on their store.

Wow, this is pretty big.

I see it as the same way as Microsoft buying rights to Minecraft.

Anyways, seen the game go down to $10 but never had any interest in buying it - maybe they'll make it F2P on EGS lol.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Seems like they backed away from what the original Press Release stated.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/epic-promises-support-for-rocket-league-on-all-platforms-no-announced-plans-to-pull-it-from-steam

Which is the better result - why make it exclusive when you can sell it on more than 1 store.

Basil's YouTube Channel

CGI-Quality said:
Nautilus said:

And I understand your point.And you and Chazore have every right to complain.

But its a non issue for me and, if the sales numbers for games like Metro Exodus are anything to go by, its a non issue for most folks.

Well, Metro's numbers were also not fully disclosed, so they're hardly anything I'd look to as solid evidence to anything. However, I'm not so much as complaining as I am empathizing. I'm all for exclusives, but there's an obvious disruption going on in the PC space. Never mind the security sketched, bare-bones of a Storefront the Epic Launcher is in 2019. 

I have already had my account compromised a couple times with the Epic Store. Thankfully I haven't spent any money in it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Hi, resident Rocket League fanboy here with over 3000 hours on steam. Let me give you my thoughts as someone who has been supportive of Epic's efforts into building a store.

As of now basically every single important question about what any of it means remains unanswered so it's tough to have any opinion on this, let alone an informed one. So let me give you my personal worst and best case scenarios here.

Worst:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. It will be impossible to transfer your account, including the literally thousands of items you have accrued over the years. Future DLCs and patches will be delayed or completely exclusive to the Epic Store. No crossplay between Steam and Epic. The game will still not go F2P for some reason. The store will be missing essential features.

Best A:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. You will not be able to transfer your account. DLCs and patches will have parity between all platforms as usual. Crossplay between all platforms. Game will go F2P.

Best B:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. You will be able to transfer your account. F2P. The Epic store will have the most important features by the time it releases.

The best case scenarios would affect me very little to not at all. I already have my Epic account, so switching my account over to Epic wouldn't be a big deal. For the other best case scenario I would simply remain on Steam.

The worst scenario would certainly be a slow killer. Sure, I could just continue to play RL on Steam but getting DLC later or not at all would break my heart. It's tough to imagine that it will come to this but it's sad that it's definitely a real possibility. I hope the massive backlash Psyonix are getting already will motivate them to make transition as smooth as possible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.