By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic buys out Psyonix devs, set to bar game from Steam

Intrinsic said:
So would this be ok for you if Epic bought the studio but didn't have a store to lock it to?

It would have been fine for them to purchase the studio (despite knowing an inkling of what they have planned), but when you purchase the studio and take a game that was released a few years back, off of one storefront in particular that it was released on, that's when things become obvious and not so great. 

Like think about it. Of all the studios they'd bought, it happened to be one with a game that's also popular like FN, also contains visuals that appeal to all ages, and just happens to have a retained audience on Steam's storefront?. They want to force Steam user's hands. They want them stripped from Steam and put into their storefront, either via sheer annoyance, or just giving up and purchasing from them (which Sweeney is easily betting on, without a doubt). 

I imagine either this year or the next few, Epic will do this again, where they see what sells the most on Steam, then proceed to snatch up both the devs and it's popular game. This strategy doesn't benefit the consumer, it just benefits Epic 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
I predict that we will start seeing Valve actually restarting to make proper games from past franchises to differentiate themselves from Epic Games Store down the line.

What Proper games?.

Like, another HL?, with only one writer from the original. Is that what you few on here really want, a watered down has-bin sequel, that will never live up to it's predecessors?.

Another Left 4 Dead?, when we already have Dying Light, WWZ and many more zombie games coming out yearly now?. What could L$D3 possibly do, that warrants an excellent rating, and worldwide attention, that also happens to set itself, absolutely and completely apart, from what we've already seen and played on this current market.

Again, the same goes for the likes of TF2, what would Tf3 be?. Another samey class based shooter, with a BR mode tacked on the end, like everyone else is doing these days?. Nothing knew or unique there. We've already seen the 9 classes the game has, what else could they add, that warrants it being unique and proper?.

Another Portal?. Another Portal, with yet another set of puzzle rooms, and another robotic villain, with yet another similar robotic monotone voicebox?.

Like, I'm not trying to be sarcy or anything, but I flat out do not see why rehashing and spamming old and existing franchises, somehow warrants as "new and fresh", or "truly unique", especially when we know they are done and dusted games, that have already executed done and dusted game design mechanics, and tropes that even other devs use to this day. I just see zero point in following the Ubisoft initiative, where you let something die for a year or two, then spam the crap out of it over and over until audiences get mad, rinse and repeat. That's Ubisoft's idea, and some people like it, but I personally think it's self destructive and waters down the medium as a whole. it warps people into thinking more of the same is better than once in a lifetime, truly unique or one hit wonder type experiences/games. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Intrinsic said:
So would this be ok for you if Epic bought the studio but didn't have a store to lock it to?

It would have been fine for them to purchase the studio (despite knowing an inkling of what they have planned), but when you purchase the studio and take a game that was released a few years back, off of one storefront in particular that it was released on, that's when things become obvious and not so great. 

Like think about it. Of all the studios they'd bought, it happened to be one with a game that's also popular like FN, also contains visuals that appeal to all ages, and just happens to have a retained audience on Steam's storefront?. They want to force Steam user's hands. They want them stripped from Steam and put into their storefront, either via sheer annoyance, or just giving up and purchasing from them (which Sweeney is easily betting on, without a doubt). 

I imagine either this year or the next few, Epic will do this again, where they see what sells the most on Steam, then proceed to snatch up both the devs and it's popular game. This strategy doesn't benefit the consumer, it just benefits Epic 

So does epic owing the studio and its IPs now prevent anyone that had previously bought the game on steam from playing it? Like has it somehow autodeleted from your steam library or just won't work anymore?

Or is it only going to mean anyone wanting to buy it now will have to buy it from the epic store?

Anyways, just know its going to get worse. Eventually, EA will start doing what EPIC is doing. As will steam too. You can't support and champion the open nature of the PC market then start whining when you see just what being open truly means. You are lucky Epic doesn't do something like say if you use the unreal engine to make your game you can only release said game on PC if its on their store.

CGI-Quality said:
Nautilus said:

And I understand your point.And you and Chazore have every right to complain.

But its a non issue for me and, if the sales numbers for games like Metro Exodus are anything to go by, its a non issue for most folks.

Well, Metro's numbers were also not fully disclosed, so they're hardly anything I'd look to as solid evidence to anything. However, I'm not so much as complaining as I am empathizing. I'm all for exclusives, but there's an obvious disruption going on in the PC space. Never mind the security sketched, bare-bones of a Storefront the Epic Launcher is in 2019. 

I have already had my account compromised a couple times with the Epic Store. Thankfully I haven't spent any money in it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Hi, resident Rocket League fanboy here with over 3000 hours on steam. Let me give you my thoughts as someone who has been supportive of Epic's efforts into building a store.

As of now basically every single important question about what any of it means remains unanswered so it's tough to have any opinion on this, let alone an informed one. So let me give you my personal worst and best case scenarios here.

Worst:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. It will be impossible to transfer your account, including the literally thousands of items you have accrued over the years. Future DLCs and patches will be delayed or completely exclusive to the Epic Store. No crossplay between Steam and Epic. The game will still not go F2P for some reason. The store will be missing essential features.

Best A:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. You will not be able to transfer your account. DLCs and patches will have parity between all platforms as usual. Crossplay between all platforms. Game will go F2P.

Best B:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. You will be able to transfer your account. F2P. The Epic store will have the most important features by the time it releases.

The best case scenarios would affect me very little to not at all. I already have my Epic account, so switching my account over to Epic wouldn't be a big deal. For the other best case scenario I would simply remain on Steam.

The worst scenario would certainly be a slow killer. Sure, I could just continue to play RL on Steam but getting DLC later or not at all would break my heart. It's tough to imagine that it will come to this but it's sad that it's definitely a real possibility. I hope the massive backlash Psyonix are getting already will motivate them to make transition as smooth as possible.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Storefront exclusives have no real barrier to entry right? I mean compared to console exclusive which require you buy a $300 new system.

Well, Epic is definitively not endearing themselves to people, every move they make seems more anti-consumer than the last.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Otter said:
Storefront exclusives have no real barrier to entry right? I mean compared to console exclusive which require you buy a $300 new system.

Storefront exclusives are not the same as platform exclusives.

Nobody bats an eye if the Witcher series would be locked to GOG for instance, as it's from the same developer and thus only fair they keep the spoils. Same if Ubisoft titles would only be sold on Uplay anymore or EA only on Origin. Or Nintendo asking you to buy their console to buy their games.

But what irritates people is the fact that Epic is buying exclusive publishing rights on games they don't own and didn't develop themselves.

It's also highly ironic, as Rocket league was on the forefront of Sony's crossplay debacle, and is, with Fortnite, the only game that Sony allows crossplay with other consoles. Now imagine if Epic now would lock out the Steam players...

Darwinianevolution said:
Well, Epic is definitively not endearing themselves to people, every move they make seems more anti-consumer than the last.

EA: We won worst company of the US twice in a row.

Activision Blizzard, Take Two Interactive, Bethesda: (in unison) Hold our beer.

Epic: Noobs! I'm sure we can top all of you taken together. Just wait and see...

vivster said:
Hi, resident Rocket League fanboy here with over 3000 hours on steam. Let me give you my thoughts as someone who has been supportive of Epic's efforts into building a store.

As of now basically every single important question about what any of it means remains unanswered so it's tough to have any opinion on this, let alone an informed one. So let me give you my personal worst and best case scenarios here.

Worst:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. It will be impossible to transfer your account, including the literally thousands of items you have accrued over the years. Future DLCs and patches will be delayed or completely exclusive to the Epic Store. No crossplay between Steam and Epic. The game will still not go F2P for some reason. The store will be missing essential features.

Best A:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. You will not be able to transfer your account. DLCs and patches will have parity between all platforms as usual. Crossplay between all platforms. Game will go F2P.

Best B:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. You will be able to transfer your account. F2P. The Epic store will have the most important features by the time it releases.

The best case scenarios would affect me very little to not at all. I already have my Epic account, so switching my account over to Epic wouldn't be a big deal. For the other best case scenario I would simply remain on Steam.

The worst scenario would certainly be a slow killer. Sure, I could just continue to play RL on Steam but getting DLC later or not at all would break my heart. It's tough to imagine that it will come to this but it's sad that it's definitely a real possibility. I hope the massive backlash Psyonix are getting already will motivate them to make transition as smooth as possible.

I'm curious. Why do you support a platform that does what you disagree with most, namely having exclusive content or making content exclusive.