By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic buys out Psyonix devs, set to bar game from Steam

ArchangelMadzz said:
I was gonna say get ready for Rocket League to be rammed with Microtransactions but it already is.

Don't think any of those accessories helps your gameplay.  I've spent a total of $20 on Rocket League and I haven't stopped playing for over a year.  Most played game on my Switch, even over Zelda, Mario, and Mario Kart.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Nautilus said:

Yeah, its an incovenience at best.

In another words, a non issue.

What is a non-issue for some isn't a non-issue for all. For plenty of PC gamers, it isn't about the Storefront, but the principle. From that angle, I totally understand their frustration. Yes, a few are taking this opportunity to complain about something, but that isn't the case for everyone.

And I understand your point.And you and Chazore have every right to complain.

But its a non issue for me and, if the sales numbers for games like Metro Exodus are anything to go by, its a non issue for most folks.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I see no problem in this, If they want to expand their first party library, good on them.

Meh, this is the kind of competition i'm ok with. It just sucks that it's from a company which has engaged in many anti-consumer practices that are so bad I don't want to support them. Otherwise, funding a developer and continuing to help them in researching new ways to make better games or to improve their games is not bad.

When you buy physical games you have to swap out media aswell, another day another platform

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

So would this be ok for you if Epic bought the studio but didn't have a store to lock it to?

I can see why some people would see epic store as a minor inconvenience but due to taking less from devs (i believe it's 12%?) they repass the costs of "unconventional" paying methods to consumers, and these "unconvetional" methods are the only way some people in third world countries have to buy games, they also lack a decent regional pricing for my country(Brazil) at least.

I predict that we will start seeing Valve actually restarting to make proper games from past franchises to differentiate themselves from Epic Games Store down the line.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Nicet get from Epic. Wonder who else they plan to buy.

thetonestarr said:
Steam takes too large a cut from game sales. I don't like the EGS by any means, but the premise behind what they're doing is anything but anti-consumer.

It may make things slightly harder on consumers in the short run, but if it benefits devs, it benefits consumers in the long run.

How, how do you know that it will make things amazingly great, specifically for PC gamers?. All we've been hearing is the promise of "better" games, so what are all these great games we've been getting for decades doing, being released yearly?.

Also, how do you know it is a short term harming effect?. DO you know exactly when this harm to consumers ends?.

Also, what about all the other companies out there, that take their 30% cut?. I refuse to believe that everyone but Valve are auto excused from being able to take 30%, it's bullshit to think as such. No one here even knows exactly what Valve are paying for in terms of maintenance, absolutely no one, not even Randy, not even the Meatboy dev. 

Nautilus said:
I understand why you are upset, but I dont get how this is setting a new "low" for Epic.They are doing the smart move in trying to overtake the pc space, and as the last few months has shown, its paying off for them.

In the example you gave about Valve buying Campo Santo and not making them exclusives to Steam, but your example is flawed.They didnt tie them up to a store because they didnt need to, they owned the market, for better or for worse.You need to understand that they are a company, and a company that butting heads with Valve, a ginat in the videogame market.They are not going to win the fight by being nice.It sucks that you are being get in the crossfire, but thats just how things are.

And honestly, 95% of the PC users dont care.At all.Its "mostly" the same if they buy from Valve or from Epic, because what they care about is the product, not the company.And honestly, service features, as Epic has been showing through their success, is less important than people think.I mean, its important, but its not a life or death situation, and the most important thing is, as we all knew ever since gaming was born, is that its the games that matter.

PC is finally catching up to the consoles wars, in a way.You may think thats bad, anmd I honestly dont care, but this is good for the consumers in the long run, because it stops Valve from being as lazy as they have been, and make companies be more competitive, and bring better products for us.

The new low, is that they are targeting devs to poach, to then allow them to take their games off of Steam. This isn't a smart move at all. All this little childish "war" is doing, is splitting and creating a clear divide between those that side with Epic, and those that side with Valve. This isn't what the gaming industry needs, when has it ever needed such a vulgar and disgusting divide?. 

Except no, I mentioned Santo because Valve are allowing them to make their games and still release elsewhere. Epic on the other hand, are taking an existing game, made well before this recent deal, off of Steam. Steam hasn't bought up Santo just to take their games off of other storefronts, that's the biggest difference here and if you cannot see that, then I'm sorry but I cannot help you at all in that matter. 

I understand it perfectly. I understand what Epic is trying to do, and it is absolutely not in my best interests, or other gamers, who are currently still talking about what Epic is doing to the PC market. It may be good to you, but what of me, do I suddenly not matter at all?. If I did matter, then where does our little conundrum end?, with me leaving the PC space, because one company became so salty over a decade ago, about a platform that they couldn't control, which ended up with them feeling to a console, only to come back and try controlling that market all over again?.

Epic are actually worth more than Valve, in case you didn't already know. They have one of the world's most profitable games. They have one of the world's most used engines by a country mile, and they have more income support via another party, than Valve ever could, yet somehow, Valve are the biggest, if not largest company out there?. Naw man, that ain't it. 

This isn't about being nice. Jesus man, I don't get any of you folk on here, or anywhere else, that see this sort of thing as healthy" or "normal", or "just business", like it's something that's just to be accepted and praised for. It makes me question what would you folk do if you had your very lives taken away, would you even bother fighting against something, even if you had very little chances (likely not, because you're seen here excusing practical bs in the face of anything else, summing it up with "it just happens").

Again, this isn't about being "Nice", this is about showing actual consumers, the lifeblood of many an industry, that they care, that they want your money, that they want to work for it in an honest manner, not some scrappy underhanded one. Are you not even aware of good business practices and tactics?, because if so, why haven't you tried to sum any up that Epic could use, instead of just falling back onto excusing the vulgar ones?. 

This whole "it needs to happen" logic is borked, because why would it need to happen, when there are clearly other ways of doing business?. This whole "it can only be done this way" itself is flawed, because it doesn't. You just think it needs to, because you think you know how to run an open ended market, and think everyone would just accept it that way of being run (which I don't already).

You say 95%, but can you actually even lay a claim to that with evidence, apart from small sales data (that isn't entirely spun in such a way). 

Can I ask you, are features not important to you?, because that would give me a good look into your mind if the answer is "no". I don't do fence sitter answers either, it's a simple yes or no answer. 

I honestly don't care what logic is spun, in the defense of bad tactics. All I see is long term damage and a group of people, who aren't even a part of this side of the industry, telling me straight to my face, that this is "objectively good for you", without actually seeing into the future itself, but basing that entirely from personal knowledge, of a different market, one that isn't open ended and is entirely different in it's nature. 

Valve are making games, but I'll say this. I Think Ubisoft are lazy in the way they design games and design PC ports, as well as them designing games I think are gutter trash, but guess what?, you think the same of Valve in terms of games you clearly don't like, so in that respect, I don't care what appeals to you, because you'll never care for what appeals to me.

LudicrousSpeed said:

PC gamers don’t like it because it’s a tiny inconvenience to have a different launcher that loads up when they click on the game. It’s not as if the player base will be split up among Steam and EGS users. It’s not as if Steam users have to buy the game all over again. You might need to use a different launcher. Oh my.

I could see an uproar if they weren’t going to support the game on Steam after it launches on EGS later this year, but they’ve already said they would. 

It's tiny in your eyes, but that is expected, because to you, it's nowt of any sort of issue to even see. 

"you need to use a different launcher, oh my" 

You see that there, that's when you just lose it. 

They've effectively said they will support those that "own" it, not the people that could still want to purchase it on Steam in the future, which they won't be able to. Of course they have to support those existing customers, do you think it'd be sane in any plane of reality, to just cut off millions of consumers on one storefront alone?. I mean really, do you?. It's a no brainer, of course they wouldn't, because that's asinine and completely bonkers to even suggest the thought. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"