By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic buys out Psyonix devs, set to bar game from Steam

The part that bothered me is fairly petty, but as a measure to calm fans, they were trying to word it as if it was a good move, and will only result in the game reaching more people, which just completely neglects the fact that it's being removed from Steam.

I actually use the Epic Games store, and I think it's fine, but the stupid way marketing and PR works is annoying to me sometimes. Like, maybe a "sorry it had to happen this way", but not a "this is the best move to make and more people will get to play the game now", which is just a blatant lie. Sure, they are going to say whatever they want to hype up their game, but like I said... it's petty, but it still bothers me.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Storefront exclusives are not the same as platform exclusives.

Nobody bats an eye if the Witcher series would be locked to GOG for instance, as it's from the same developer and thus only fair they keep the spoils. Same if Ubisoft titles would only be sold on Uplay anymore or EA only on Origin. Or Nintendo asking you to buy their console to buy their games.

But what irritates people is the fact that Epic is buying exclusive publishing rights on games they don't own and didn't develop themselves.

It's also highly ironic, as Rocket league was on the forefront of Sony's crossplay debacle, and is, with Fortnite, the only game that Sony allows crossplay with other consoles. Now imagine if Epic now would lock out the Steam players...

But Rocket League is by all intents and purposes Epic's game now. So it should be fair if they limit it to their store? They are literally paying the game's development right now.

I don't think it's a debate on the legality of what they are doing. I'm under the impression that a large part of the reason they bought the developer in the first place is so that they could do this. When things are anti-consumer, it's generally a good idea to let your voice be heard about it. Boffer does make a good point, though; it's quite ironic.

Chazore said:
thetonestarr said:
Steam takes too large a cut from game sales. I don't like the EGS by any means, but the premise behind what they're doing is anything but anti-consumer.

It may make things slightly harder on consumers in the short run, but if it benefits devs, it benefits consumers in the long run.

How, how do you know that it will make things amazingly great, specifically for PC gamers?. All we've been hearing is the promise of "better" games, so what are all these great games we've been getting for decades doing, being released yearly?.

Also, how do you know it is a short term harming effect?. DO you know exactly when this harm to consumers ends?.

Also, what about all the other companies out there, that take their 30% cut?. I refuse to believe that everyone but Valve are auto excused from being able to take 30%, it's bullshit to think as such. No one here even knows exactly what Valve are paying for in terms of maintenance, absolutely no one, not even Randy, not even the Meatboy dev. 

Most of it comes down to two things - (1) common sense, and (2) not panicking and freaking out. 

You are reacting off of impulse and emotion, and refusing to look at it objectively. This is proven by the emphatic language you are using to argue. Take a step back.

What, exactly, is the harm in the first place? It's minorly annoying to use a different launcher and to be required to have purchases aggregated through a different entity, but the games don't require the launcher to run, and you can back up your files to physical media to save for posterity, so even if the EGS goes belly up and all your purchases are lost (highly unlikely - more likely that either Epic or the EGS itself will be purchased by another retailer before anything is actually lost), you can still permanently keep everything.

The EGS is annoying, for sure, due to its security concerns and its poor design, but like I said, you can bypass it entirely if you want, once you have the games installed.

The only certain harm at all is minor inconvenience.

Meanwhile, financially benefiting the developers is inarguably beneficial for gamers. Especially indie devs. More money = more resources to either develop more games, or better ones. Or both. None of those things are guaranteed in every situation, but "not guaranteed" is far from "not likely". 

Additionally, the argument that we already get quality is also ignorant. Fine, we're getting good stuff. But how's about better? Give a good developer more money and - hey whaddaya know! He can do more! Before Netflix opened up for original content, we were limited to content that the major networks were willing to pay for and fit into their limited timeslots. Many fantastic shows were canceled because networks were limited in what they could air. Once Netflix opened up for original content, though, Netflix and all the other streaming services became avenues for content distribution without getting actual broadcast airtime, and there are TONS of quality shows and movies that we get now that simply wouldn't have gotten the time of day ten years ago.

This is in absolutely no way any different. 

For years, devs (especially indie ones) have complained about the high cut that Valve took, but because Steam has been the only major non-first-party platform (see: not Origin, not UPlay, not Battle.Net, etc) to release games through, many devs have seen it as their only viable option. Maybe Valve does provide valuable resources and services that are paid for with that 30% cut. But maybe some devs don't want those services. Maybe they just want to release their damn games and be able to make money off of them. 

No, I don't like the EGS by any means. No, I don't plan on buying Borderlands 3 through it. But you know what? They've specifically said they'll stop aggressively chasing exclusivity if Valve reduces their mandatory cuts. You don't have to agree with their tactics. You don't have to like them. But you can't sit there and say that the welfare of gamers is being ignored.

SW-5120-1900-6153

vivster said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Storefront exclusives are not the same as platform exclusives.

Nobody bats an eye if the Witcher series would be locked to GOG for instance, as it's from the same developer and thus only fair they keep the spoils. Same if Ubisoft titles would only be sold on Uplay anymore or EA only on Origin. Or Nintendo asking you to buy their console to buy their games.

But what irritates people is the fact that Epic is buying exclusive publishing rights on games they don't own and didn't develop themselves.

It's also highly ironic, as Rocket league was on the forefront of Sony's crossplay debacle, and is, with Fortnite, the only game that Sony allows crossplay with other consoles. Now imagine if Epic now would lock out the Steam players...

But Rocket League is by all intents and purposes Epic's game now. So it should be fair if they limit it to their store? They are literally paying the game's development right now.

True, but cutting off all those who ain't having it on EGS would be a dick move. Microsoft handled that a lot better after they bought Minecraft. Imagine it being locked to Windows store and Xbox only

I remember the outcry here about the Wii U games on the Switch being forcing the players to buy a game twice, and yet I haven't seen this come up here. Unless you can simply copy your serial number, that's exactly what it amounts to.

Begun, the Store Wars have.

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:
I rather quit PC gaming than to give 1 cent to EGS. Or even install the trash. Sweeney can eat shit.
I am glad I didnt buy RL now, and never will at this point.

You are probably still giving money to Epic with even knowing it. So many games are made with their engine, which they get  royalties from. 

WolfpackN64 said:
Begun, the Store Wars have.

2 days too early ^^

vivster said:
OTBWY said:

On the first part, no. Nintendo is not owned by a Chinese company, thus not subject to their shady practices. They make and maintain their own software, unlike Epic.

Second, you seriously don't consider Steam to be a vastly superior product to the Epic store? You would choose a way less optimal experience in order to make a point? Possibly losing 3000 hours of your progress, time, sweat and tears is worth it cause you hate Steam more than Epic? I don't know what exactly you have against Steam, whatever it is, it didn't stop you from spending those 3000 hours on this single game. Seems extreme.

I never said any of that sort. I am not supporting losing my own progress. I mean I literally said that if that was the case I'd stop playing altogether. Steam is giving me the minimum to be able to play my games. I play Rocket League, not Steam. If Epic can give me the same minimum for me to still play RL, which really isn't much to ask, then I will have no problem switching my account over to the Epic store if I get to keep my progress. I use Steam to play games, not the other way around. Whatever I have against Steam isn't worth dodging RL because RL is the best game ever made. If I didn't play the best game of all times because of issues with a platform holder then I wouldn't play any games at all, which is not gonna work.

But yes, I dislike Valve enough so that I am happy to switch to another platform if it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the game, which by my current estimates it won't. You need to realize that there is a difference between accepting something and supporting something. Like you accept Nintendo's awful business practices but not necessarily support it. I accept the evil overlord that is Epic if I get to ditch another evil overlord for it and if it doesn't interfere with my game.

We right now have zero information about how the transition will work. Something like this on this scale has never happened before. I will reserve further comments until I see how good or bad it will be. Until then I can only say that if the transition is done properly I do not think it is a big deal.

You know. So you're okay with the platform it is on if it is a very good game or "best games of all times". I seem to remember a certain game called Shmayonetta 2 that turned out to be one of the best games this gen. Did things change? My issue is that before you were arguing very much so against exclusivity because of one certain company, and now you condone a company that outright buys up exclusives (let alone save them from development hell). Surely you see why this bothers me right? 

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

I never said any of that sort. I am not supporting losing my own progress. I mean I literally said that if that was the case I'd stop playing altogether. Steam is giving me the minimum to be able to play my games. I play Rocket League, not Steam. If Epic can give me the same minimum for me to still play RL, which really isn't much to ask, then I will have no problem switching my account over to the Epic store if I get to keep my progress. I use Steam to play games, not the other way around. Whatever I have against Steam isn't worth dodging RL because RL is the best game ever made. If I didn't play the best game of all times because of issues with a platform holder then I wouldn't play any games at all, which is not gonna work.

But yes, I dislike Valve enough so that I am happy to switch to another platform if it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the game, which by my current estimates it won't. You need to realize that there is a difference between accepting something and supporting something. Like you accept Nintendo's awful business practices but not necessarily support it. I accept the evil overlord that is Epic if I get to ditch another evil overlord for it and if it doesn't interfere with my game.

We right now have zero information about how the transition will work. Something like this on this scale has never happened before. I will reserve further comments until I see how good or bad it will be. Until then I can only say that if the transition is done properly I do not think it is a big deal.

You know. So you're okay with the platform it is on if it is a very good game or "best games of all times". I seem to remember a certain game called Shmayonetta 2 that turned out to be one of the best games this gen. Did things change? My issue is that before you were arguing very much so against exclusivity because of one certain company, and now you condone a company that outright buys up exclusives (let alone save them from development hell). Surely you see why this bothers me right? 

To be fair, Bayonetta 2 wouldn't even have been made, had Nintendo not stepped in, as neither Sega, Sony or Microsoft were willing to pay for the development. It's not like buying the release rights to a game weeks before it's release, especially after that one got already announced for other platforms.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
OTBWY said:

To be fair, Bayonetta 2 wouldn't even have been made, had Nintendo not stepped in, as neither Sega, Sony or Microsoft were willing to pay for the development. It's not like buying the release rights to a game weeks before it's release, especially after that one got already announced for other platforms.

That was actually his point