By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic buys out Psyonix devs, set to bar game from Steam

OTBWY said:
vivster said:
Hi, resident Rocket League fanboy here with over 3000 hours on steam. Let me give you my thoughts as someone who has been supportive of Epic's efforts into building a store.

As of now basically every single important question about what any of it means remains unanswered so it's tough to have any opinion on this, let alone an informed one. So let me give you my personal worst and best case scenarios here.

Worst:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. It will be impossible to transfer your account, including the literally thousands of items you have accrued over the years. Future DLCs and patches will be delayed or completely exclusive to the Epic Store. No crossplay between Steam and Epic. The game will still not go F2P for some reason. The store will be missing essential features.

Best A:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. You will not be able to transfer your account. DLCs and patches will have parity between all platforms as usual. Crossplay between all platforms. Game will go F2P.

Best B:
The game will release on The Epic Store and get removed from Steam. You will be able to transfer your account. F2P. The Epic store will have the most important features by the time it releases.

The best case scenarios would affect me very little to not at all. I already have my Epic account, so switching my account over to Epic wouldn't be a big deal. For the other best case scenario I would simply remain on Steam.

The worst scenario would certainly be a slow killer. Sure, I could just continue to play RL on Steam but getting DLC later or not at all would break my heart. It's tough to imagine that it will come to this but it's sad that it's definitely a real possibility. I hope the massive backlash Psyonix are getting already will motivate them to make transition as smooth as possible.

I'm curious. Why do you support a platform that does what you disagree with most, namely having exclusive content or making content exclusive.

Preference, I guess. I said it before, I hate exclusivity, but I hate Steam more. If I never supported any kind of exclusivity or bad business practices in general I'd never be able to play any games. I mean, I've been playing RL for years even though it was exclusive on Steam.

What I do know is that to break monopolies, you have to take extreme measures. It is not possible to break monopolies when playing on the same level as them. You have to do things to get ahead. I guess you could say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. It's not that I have any kind of favorable connection to Epic as a company. I see them as the same scumbags as Valve, Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. All companies that use exclusives to force people on their service and all companies I have accounts with. I'm a bit more lenient with pc launchers because they don't force you to buy a useless plastic box.

Last edited by vivster - on 02 May 2019

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
OTBWY said:

I'm curious. Why do you support a platform that does what you disagree with most, namely having exclusive content or making content exclusive.

Preference, I guess. I said it before, I hate exclusivity, but I hate Steam more. If I never supported any kind of exclusivity or bad business practices in general I'd never be able to play any games. I mean, I've been playing RL for years even though it was exclusive on Steam.

What I do know is that to break monopolies, you have to take extreme measures. It is not possible to break monopolies when playing on the same level as them. You have to do things to get ahead. I guess you could say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. It's not that I have any kind of favorable connection to Epic as a company. I see them as the same scumbags as Valve, Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. All companies that use exclusives to force people on their service and all companies I have accounts with. I'm a bit more lenient with pc launchers because they don't force you to buy a useless plastic box.

Sounds same ol same ol, albeit more reasonable. I don't agree with the last part in that all are scumbags. I for one dislike Epic because of their shady Chinese data collection schemes. With an Xbox or Switch I at least don't have that. However, do you actually think the Epic store is a great product? (not mentioning the business strategy)

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

Sounds same ol same ol, albeit more reasonable. I don't agree with the last part in that all are scumbags. I for one dislike Epic because of their shady Chinese data collection schemes. With an Xbox or Switch I at least don't have that. However, do you actually think the Epic store is a great product? (not mentioning the business strategy)

Do you dislike Nintendo because they're doing shady deals with the same Chinese as Epic? With the difference that Epic merely sold shares while Nintendo actively sought them out.

I don't think the Epic store is great. I also don't think Steam is great, yet here we are. I'm not happy about the very possible drawbacks, but that's no reason to completely stump out progress as soon as it emerges. I've been an avid supporter of autonomous cars since the time they were absolute dog shit killer machines, but they're shaping up nicely now. Call me slightly optimistic that my user experience will be comparable to what I have with steam when and if I ever have to switch.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

pc gamers can be such babies. its capitolism you like it even if you think you dont knucklehead

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 02 May 2019

vivster said:
OTBWY said:

Do you dislike Nintendo because they're doing shady deals with the same Chinese as Epic? With the difference that Epic merely sold shares while Nintendo actively sought them out.

I don't think the Epic store is great. I also don't think Steam is great, yet here we are. I'm not happy about the very possible drawbacks, but that's no reason to completely stump out progress as soon as it emerges. I've been an avid supporter of autonomous cars since the time they were absolute dog shit killer machines, but they're shaping up nicely now. Call me slightly optimistic that my user experience will be comparable to what I have with steam when and if I ever have to switch.

On the first part, no. Nintendo is not owned by a Chinese company, thus not subject to their shady practices. They make and maintain their own software, unlike Epic.

Second, you seriously don't consider Steam to be a vastly superior product to the Epic store? You would choose a way less optimal experience in order to make a point? Possibly losing 3000 hours of your progress, time, sweat and tears is worth it cause you hate Steam more than Epic? I don't know what exactly you have against Steam, whatever it is, it didn't stop you from spending those 3000 hours on this single game. Seems extreme.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Otter said:
Storefront exclusives have no real barrier to entry right? I mean compared to console exclusive which require you buy a $300 new system.

Storefront exclusives are not the same as platform exclusives.

Nobody bats an eye if the Witcher series would be locked to GOG for instance, as it's from the same developer and thus only fair they keep the spoils. Same if Ubisoft titles would only be sold on Uplay anymore or EA only on Origin. Or Nintendo asking you to buy their console to buy their games.

But what irritates people is the fact that Epic is buying exclusive publishing rights on games they don't own and didn't develop themselves.

It's also highly ironic, as Rocket league was on the forefront of Sony's crossplay debacle, and is, with Fortnite, the only game that Sony allows crossplay with other consoles. Now imagine if Epic now would lock out the Steam players...

Yet, nobody has a problem when third party games are exclusive to other distribution services. And they didnt pay anything, no consessions whatsoever.

Also curious, whenever this little titbid gets pointed out, it gets ignored.

Hunting Season is done...

I rather quit PC gaming than to give 1 cent to EGS. Or even install the trash. Sweeney can eat shit.
I am glad I didnt buy RL now, and never will at this point.

OTBWY said:
vivster said:

On the first part, no. Nintendo is not owned by a Chinese company, thus not subject to their shady practices. They make and maintain their own software, unlike Epic.

Second, you seriously don't consider Steam to be a vastly superior product to the Epic store? You would choose a way less optimal experience in order to make a point? Possibly losing 3000 hours of your progress, time, sweat and tears is worth it cause you hate Steam more than Epic? I don't know what exactly you have against Steam, whatever it is, it didn't stop you from spending those 3000 hours on this single game. Seems extreme.

I never said any of that sort. I am not supporting losing my own progress. I mean I literally said that if that was the case I'd stop playing altogether. Steam is giving me the minimum to be able to play my games. I play Rocket League, not Steam. If Epic can give me the same minimum for me to still play RL, which really isn't much to ask, then I will have no problem switching my account over to the Epic store if I get to keep my progress. I use Steam to play games, not the other way around. Whatever I have against Steam isn't worth dodging RL because RL is the best game ever made. If I didn't play the best game of all times because of issues with a platform holder then I wouldn't play any games at all, which is not gonna work.

But yes, I dislike Valve enough so that I am happy to switch to another platform if it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the game, which by my current estimates it won't. You need to realize that there is a difference between accepting something and supporting something. Like you accept Nintendo's awful business practices but not necessarily support it. I accept the evil overlord that is Epic if I get to ditch another evil overlord for it and if it doesn't interfere with my game.

We right now have zero information about how the transition will work. Something like this on this scale has never happened before. I will reserve further comments until I see how good or bad it will be. Until then I can only say that if the transition is done properly I do not think it is a big deal.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Otter said:
Storefront exclusives have no real barrier to entry right? I mean compared to console exclusive which require you buy a $300 new system.

Nobody bats an eye if the Witcher series would be locked to GOG for instance, as it's from the same developer and thus only fair they keep the spoils. Same if Ubisoft titles would only be sold on Uplay anymore or EA only on Origin. Or Nintendo asking you to buy their console to buy their games.

But what irritates people is the fact that Epic is buying exclusive publishing rights on games they don't own and didn't develop themselves.

It's also highly ironic, as Rocket league was on the forefront of Sony's crossplay debacle, and is, with Fortnite, the only game that Sony allows crossplay with other consoles. Now imagine if Epic now would lock out the Steam players...

But Rocket League is by all intents and purposes Epic's game now. So it should be fair if they limit it to their store? They are literally paying the game's development right now.

Zoombael said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Yet, nobody has a problem when third party games are exclusive to other distribution services. And they didnt pay anything, no consessions whatsoever.

Also curious, whenever this little titbid gets pointed out, it gets ignored.

If it's just the developer's choice to only release on one single platform or for one single platform (Like Game Freak and Next Level Games with Nintendo, for instance, despite being independent studios), then who are we to judge them? However, buying themselves the exclusivity, even just a timed one, is a shitty move and has nothing to do competition, apart from avoiding it.