By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why does everyone suddenly say price point instead of price?

A diabolical underground movement meticulously working their way towards the inevitable childish abbreviation?

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 23 April 2019

Around the Network

Price fluctates into different pricepoints duh

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:
Because it's without tax.

ugh, having separate prices with and without tax is an abhorent practice. It's absolutely ridiculous when you see something for one price then when you get to the checkout they're like "ok, let's add a bit extra on".

It's just something that assholes do. Any reasonable person would be upfront about the full price from the start.

I completely disagree with this. It is important for people to understand how much of their purchase is going to the government. If that tax is simply buried in the stated price, it's just hidden from view.  I prefer that all prices be given without any sales or similar taxes included. People can then think about how much government is stealing from them when they do the mental math to figure out how much they'll actually have to pay.

Price is a simple term which doesn't imply any structural marketing approach, it is just a simple transaction price.
Price point references sales volume - profit maximization strategy, and is appropriate when consciously aware of structural marketing factors.
Price point(s) are literally a point inflecting complex demand curve, which is situated at price which most efficiently captures demand volume.
If you look at graph at Wiki entry for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_point
...You can see prices 1/2 way between A/B/C would only capture ~1/4 additional volume)
In re: PS5 price point discussions, structural impact on sales volume is overtly the context of discussion which is why term is used there.
Many informed reviews will use the term because understanding context of product within business strategy is part of 'meta' of the product.
(as we can understand microtransactions have economic logic driving their existence, they aren't just some random minigame for own sake)
I'm sure people can use it not quite accurately at all times, but it's generally used when consciously considering mass market pricing structure.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 23 April 2019

good point...

Around the Network

Good point. I'll try to connect the dots, here.

You see, every number of the set of real numbers is a point in an infinitely long line. Thus, a price is a pricepoint, like our charts are more accurately called chartpoints. We even have VGCpoints now, if I'm not mistaken. Very significant objects like stars can also seem like points to us, which compouds the argument on a metaphorical level (perhaps).

This could seem like pointless semantics to some, but it's important to clarifly things, sometimes. Period.

VAMatt said:
Ka-pi96 said:

ugh, having separate prices with and without tax is an abhorent practice. It's absolutely ridiculous when you see something for one price then when you get to the checkout they're like "ok, let's add a bit extra on".

It's just something that assholes do. Any reasonable person would be upfront about the full price from the start.

I completely disagree with this. It is important for people to understand how much of their purchase is going to the government. If that tax is simply buried in the stated price, it's just hidden from view.  I prefer that all prices be given without any sales or similar taxes included. People can then think about how much government is stealing from them when they do the mental math to figure out how much they'll actually have to pay.

See and this is why other countries do not have this completely wrong mindset. This practice of not including the tax that the customer has to pay anyway is completely driven by corporate greed and of course you're buying into it(pun intended). Because the real truth is that taxes aren't actually stealing. I know, bummer, right? They're one of the most normal things when living in a functioning social state. You know, a state that actually cares about its people.

I mean, shouldn't you be more angry that the tax you see displayed on the price tags of the things you buy from companies actually do not apply to the very same company? You're paying tax because they don't. You're trying to defend the very businesses that suck you dry, that don't pay taxes, which results in you paying even more. The taxes you're paying to stores won't even reach the government. So someone takes a bite out of the money that is actually meant to go to the government. You know what we call this here? Stealing.

But the smear campaign of corporations actually works, seeing how you're of the completely wrong assumption that it's all the government's fault and that it's stealing from you. Now go, run along and buy your misleadingly labeled cereal and pay the tax so that your precious companies don't have to.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

mutantsushi said:
Price is a simple term which doesn't imply any structural marketing approach, it is just a simple transaction price.
Price point references sales volume - profit maximization strategy, and is appropriate when consciously aware of structural marketing factors.
Price point(s) are literally a point inflecting complex demand curve, which is situated at price which most efficiently captures demand volume.
If you look at graph at Wiki entry for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_point
...You can see prices 1/2 way between A/B/C would only capture ~1/4 additional volume)
In re: PS5 price point discussions, structural impact on sales volume is overtly the context of discussion which is why term is used there.
Many informed reviews will use the term because understanding context of product within business strategy is part of 'meta' of the product.
(as we can understand microtransactions have economic logic driving their existence, they aren't just some random minigame for own sake)
I'm sure people can use it not quite accurately at all times, but it's generally used when consciously considering mass market pricing structure.

From a consumer perspective, price point is the same thing as price. So unless you're in a company strategy meeting, just say price. Otherwise you just sound like you want to appear smarter than you are.

vivster said:
VAMatt said:

See and this is why other countries do not have this completely wrong mindset. This practice of not including the tax that the customer has to pay anyway is completely driven by corporate greed and of course you're buying into it(pun intended). Because the real truth is that taxes aren't actually stealing. I know, bummer, right? They're one of the most normal things when living in a functioning social state. You know, a state that actually cares about its people.

I mean, shouldn't you be more angry that the tax you see displayed on the price tags of the things you buy from companies actually do not apply to the very same company? You're paying tax because they don't. You're trying to defend the very businesses that suck you dry, that don't pay taxes, which results in you paying even more. The taxes you're paying to stores won't even reach the government. So someone takes a bite out of the money that is actually meant to go to the government. You know what we call this here? Stealing.

But the smear campaign of corporations actually works, seeing how you're of the completely wrong assumption that it's all the government's fault and that it's stealing from you. Now go, run along and buy your misleadingly labeled cereal and pay the tax so that your precious companies don't have to.

This. And because of this, the practice of separating the tax from the price is just a lame attempt at trying to make something appear cheaper than it is. Just tell the real price, it's not like you can opt out of paying the tax and why should you?

VAMatt said:
Ka-pi96 said:

You're wrong and I'll tell you why.
The price you see is misleading as it's not the final price.
You can't calculate the final price unless you know exactly the tax rate which is different from country to country and within the US even from state to state. Also certain products and services can have different tax rates.
Then even when you know the tax rate you can't calculate the final price without the help of a device.
Lastly you can check how much tax you spent on the receipt, so it's not hidden from view at all.