By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Nintendo systems has Switch already surpassed for you?

Jumpin said:

I think of consoles more in tiers.
Top Tier: SNES, Wii, DS, Switch
Medium Tier: NES, 3DS, Gameboy, GBA
Low Tier: Wii U, N64
Irrelevant Tier: Gamecube, Virtual Boy

But I also think of Nintendo in terms of historical eras (excuse my slight Eurocentrism):
Classical Age: NES/early SNES - The era which Nintendo really built its foundations as an innovative video game giant which focused on simplicity and intuitiveness of interface, in the NA and Japanese markets, like the PAX-Nintendorama because there was no competition.

Golden Age: SNES (especially the final years of the 16-bit era), the software really began to blossom in this era. In this era, Nintendo saw innovation that led to the sort pre-rendered graphics that would define the 32-bit PSX era. DKC was a major break-through in the video game industry. Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War, Dragon Quest 5, and Terranigma all showed the potential of what a game could be.

The Dark Ages: N64-Gamecube - Nintendo lost their way. The N64, while innovative had hardly a simple or intuitive approach outside of the analog stick. The controllers on the N64 broke easily from wear-and-tear, the system required a number of add-ons for the full experience, and the games were double to triple the price of the competition. Additionally, they were arrogant enough to create a "Dream Team" which was a select number of devs with special treatment. In the meantime, ignoring the requests of their other loyal partners like Square. Then during Gamecube times, made their least innovative console, and was home to hand-me-down ports of PS2s driest third party Ubisoft/EA non-exclusives. Nintendo lost the majority of their home console fans in this time. Like the dark ages that spanned Western Europe, it wasn't all dark, Ocarina of Time could be said to be like the Charlemagne of Nintendo, a nice small period of greatness.

Middle Ages: GB/GBA - while we didn't play much N64/Gamecube, GB and GBA saw remarkable growth at the same time. If this period marks N64 and Gamecube as France and England, and PSX is like Golden Age Spain/Iberia during the same period, then GB/GBA is like Venice/Genovese/Hanseatic Europe, or perhaps even the Byzantine Empire. This was a thriving and growing era for Nintendo, what kept them afloat while their main pillar of home console game collapsed. These fans were also largely the ones who clickstarted the next era of Nintendo.

Renaissance: Wii/DS era - Nintendo regained their way with high innovation and a focus on intuitive simple controls. Touchscreens, motion controls, and the remote control method. This saw an explosion in Nintendo's success. It also resulted in development creativity (Games like Little King's Story, Forever Blue/Endless Ocean, Trauma Center, Professor Layton, Zack and Wiki, IR 3rd person shooters like RE4 Wii, Scarface Wii, Godfather Wii, No More Heroes, Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, etc...) on levels not seen since the Classical Era on the NES. This was Nintendo back to form in a real way. Another early sign in this era wqas the rise of indie devs working on Nintendo consoles, but the time wasn't quite there... and then...

Second Dark Ages: Wii U/3DS era - Nintendo again lost their way, going with a much more complex controller (the Wii U Gamepad) which no one really seemed to know how to use (stuff on the controller, but then how do I look at the controller screen and TV screen at the same time? Hold it in front of me?), they hadn't had the right idea yet (the Switch) and so created a more powerful DS with 3D, which caused a tremendous decline - not helped with the Mongol Invasion of smart devices who were doing what DS did, except better and in a more useful way. The Wii U was a disaster, slow, clunky, and weak. It was as though Nintendo had been hit by the Great Plague (similar to that of the mid-17th century).

Modern era: Switch - Nintendo went back to the Wii, and made a console that was a proper successor to it. Two joycons which replaced the Wii remote and nunchuck. The Joycons were more advanced, and also added some more inputs without feeling more complicated than the Wii remote and nunchuck. It was like the proper SNES to the NES as Switch is to the Wii. Third parties flocked back, and so did the indie devs, only thanks to Steam, their numbers were FAR larger than they were when Wii began to close shop about 5 years earlier. Today, the Switch enjoys a higher amount of new games, and higher quality games than any Nintendo console has ever received in its history. While us as players have only had it for a couple of years, the greatest library of quality games is already available now on the Switch console; and soon it will have the largest library of any Nintendo console of all time, probably by the end of this year.

One of my favourite posts on VGC in a while. Clever and entertaining. Bravo.

Around the Network

So, two and a half years later, where does it stand for you now?

For me, since posting last, the likes of Monster Hunter Rise, Metroid Dread, and Doom Eternal have sent it rocketing passed the N64 and it's now breathing down the necks of the Wii and SNES which are #2 and #1 for me.

In my book it only needs one or two more great games to take the title of best Nintendo system of all time.

I would actually say that the Switch is my favorite Nintendo system of all time. It has my favorite 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Solid entries for Kirby, Metroid and others, as well as nice spin-offs like Mario + Rabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors. It's even still getting big games in 2022 and beyond. I've finally gotten a new Pokemon Snap game as well as a PMD remake (hoping for an Explorers remake in a year or two).

The big negatives for me are that I don't enjoy the main series Pokemon games as much and the online subscription could definitely use some more work.

I have one major complaint about the switch and that is the online store. It is filled with useless crap and shovelware to the point where I can barely tell the difference from steam. I go there and check for new games or sales every now and then and turn it off only minutes later. Oh, and it doesn't help that the interface is slow as hell. I don't shop in stores for games anymore (you barely find any there anyway these days) so that is really a giant pain in the ass.

Other than that, the Switch has not enough retro games in my book. The abysmal collection of NES and SNES games are a joke, especially considering you have to pay indefinitely for it. I want Virtual Console back, that stuff was sweet.

There are games I really enjoy on the Switch and I friggin' love the system for its portability. But I'm not blown away honestly. So if I had to rank Nintendo consoles, handhelds excluded, it would look a little something like this:

1. SNES
2. N64
3. Gamecube
4. Switch
5. NES
6. Wii
7. Wii U

The switch is right there in the middle. Not too shabby.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Undisputed top dog and still going.

Around the Network

Played SNES and owned every home console since the N64, plus DS and 3DS. Atm i would rank Switch behind only N64 and Wii, although practically neck and neck with the Wii. Very soon it will likely overtake the Wii. By the end, it may even overtake the N64 and become my favourite ever, depending on which SW is released and if it's good/great/amazing.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Before the Switch, the Nintendo systems I have owned are the N64, GBC, GBA, GCN, Wii, Wii U, and 3DS.

So far, it has surpassed all except the Wii and GameCube.
But it's well on its way to doing that as early as next year.

I've owned every Nintendo console sans the GBC. And Switch is my least favorite of the bunch. I don't know what it is. It could be me, or it could be the fault of the console. But out of all the Nintendo console's I've own, this one feels somehow the most meh. Like there's not much unique about it once you get past the on/off TV thing. I never felt that way with all the other consoles for some reason. Maybe it's the software? Aside from BOTW, I don't think I'd rank any of its usual hard-hitters among the top of pack.

Whatever it is, that's how I feel about it. I'm hoping their next console changes that.

All them minus SNES

Everything except Dreamcast,SNES and Saturn.

Switch is in 4th place as my fave systems.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!