By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Confirmed Backward Compatibility

Music to my ears. Most interested in that SSD. Can they afford to make it a purely solid state system or will it be a hybrid setup?

Also love hearing more about 3D audio (and using ray tracing for it). Sound design hasn't kept up with visuals at all. It needs to be physically rendered just like other elements. Should do wonders for stealth and multiplayer games and reduce the reliance on your hud.

Around the Network

Good to hear it'll be backwards compatible 

I think for me is perfect.
I skept x360, and got xone, that has BC.
I had a ps3 and skept PS4, now on PS5 i can play ps4 games.
Perfect, got access to all games not needing to buy some consoles.

simek said:

PS5 is a dream game machine

Ray tracing for sound and light- confirmed

SSD for no loading times- confirmed

Ryzen 2 8 core- confirmed

BC- confirmed

Custom navi- confimed

It feels like they ticked all the right  boxes. Im waiting for preorders to open. 

For sound? Not so much. We have actually been down this Audio path once before... Aka. Aureal A3D, before Creative bought them up and shuttered them.

Also. Nothing has been confirmed, these are rumors, grain of salt and all of that.

vivster said:
Uhm..... that whole article reads like a marketing fluff piece written by Sony themselves. They're getting really desperate to sell it as something revolutionary when it's a mere simple hardware upgrade. Nothing wrong with a straight upgrade, but I can't take all the marketing bullcrap.

Supercomputer on a chip not happening then?

simek said:

Better battery i think should be priority. I dont think wireless charging will be any efficent for gaming (too slow), and too expensive aswell.

Fast wireless charging is pretty accessible now, even earphones are coming with the technology these days.

However, I would personally prefer hot-swappable AA batteries personally... But I doubt that will happen, not with a Sony console anyway.

CGI-Quality said:
In this case at least (though I'm sure Xbox will also have it now), I was wrong about Raytracing (though we'd need to see more). Hearing that it'll pack an SSD faster than my PC is capable of is the bananas part! O_O

Well. Nothing is confirmed yet.
On the Ray Tracing side... Pascal is capable of Ray Tracing, but it's much more limited compared to Turing, not just in performance but how extensive the effects are, I would expect the same to hold true for Ray Tracing on Graphics Core Next.
Ray Tracing is an inherently compute limited issue.

As for the SSD side of the equation... Zen 2 will be leveraging PCI-E 4.0, so I would assume the SSD would be using that bus for an insane amount of bandwidth, still got my doubts it will be a useful amount of storage though, not with the size of games today and the price of NAND.
Might be a hybrid approach.

taus90 said:

A custom Ray tracing solution designed for closed off API will be much more efficient that a PC version. 

Citation needed.

DonFerrari said:
If true it will have SSD and a lot of our forum experts were fooled by sony on this /joking.

End of the day... If it comes packed with a large and fast SSD... Then it's good for gamers and I am happy to be wrong... But the original idea was that it won't come with an SSD and fit in at the $400 USD price point, still stand by that.

Still. Console hasn't launched yet... Still skeptical that it won't be anything more than a cache/hybrid setup at most... 1 Terabyte SSD's aren't exactly cheap enough for consoles yet.

Trumpstyle said:

But it's correct, HDDs are completely useless, you're suppose to know stuff. Try play World of warcraft on HDDs, its not possible. You get loading times that are between 1-2 minutes and the game lags for several minutes after, this with the fastest HDD that exist, western digital black desktop mechanical drive. While on a ssd the game will load in 5 seconds and no lag whatsoever after.

I said 2 months ago it's 100% certain that the next-gen consoles will have a SSD or NVMe drive (1TB) and I was correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGtb24aumA

Proves my point, HDD is useless.

Mechanical Hard Drives aren't completely useless, that benchmark uses a 1 Terabyte Western Digital Black which is far from being the fastest mechanical disk on the market... Those drives came out in 2008 and usually topped out at around 100MB/s.. Today's decent mechanical disks can top out at around 180-250MB/s.

Plus next-generation mechanical disks are about to launch with Microwave/Heat assisted recording, multiple actuators, larger Ram pools and faster processors, they still won't beat an SSD, but by no means are they useless, especially in sequential reads.

dharh said:

At first I was thinking M.2.  But if this is right it might be either a proprietary on motherboard set of chips or drive, or uses a non yet standard next gen spec.

Probably integrated straight onto the motherboard to reduce costs and complexity and piggy backing off PCI-Express. What will be interesting is if Sony will still include expandable storage via a SATA outlet.

DonFerrari said:

theoretical or real world...

From what we heard from stadia it seems to be about X1X level of power, while this seems to be about double (on raw number, performance will be much higher).

On real world with latency, bandwidth and all else Stadia will be lower than full HD, this will be about 4K (capable of 8K output per the interview).

Stadia beats the Xbox One X. It's Vega 56 vs Radeon RX 580 levels of difference. (I.E. Bit less than double the performance.)

This console is likely to best Stadia.

JEMC said:

With the 8 core Zen 2 CPU, the console won't be limited in that front like the actual ones have, and Navi should give it a nice boost over the Pro and X consoles.

Also likely confirms that Zen 2 is going to have 8-core CPU complexes. Which is a good thing in my eyes.

HollyGamer said:

The problem  with using SSHD is,  the benefit of having high speed loading data will not be directly build inside the system. Because all the performance and benefit of fast loading data will only be be attach to the SSHD, and if someone by means try to remove the hard disk and replace with normal HDD all the benefit will be loss (or even worse , PS5 games will not working) .

Actually the statement  from the article explained on how the fast loading benefit will be the standard for PS5 performance, this require a dedicated bus/nand flash ram/ memory soldered directly to the motherboard. And it will be using the same principality with how intel optane work on the PC, but of course PS5 will not by any means using Intel Optane as the nand flash memory. I am using Intel Optane as an example on how SSD/Flash memory will work on PS5.  

The exception here is if the console has the NAND integrated onto the motherboard and will cache any and all drives on the system automagically.
Just like SSD Cache drives of old on the PC.

Keep in mind these benchmarks are from 7 years ago and the drive is only 30GB... But there was still a massive reduction in loads.
https://hothardware.com/reviews/hard-drive-overdrive-corsairs-accelerator-series-reviewed-?page=4

Makes you wonder how a modern drive using PCI-E would do.

simek said:

Sony co-developed navi with amd, and co developed ssd drive. In some way they own the technology, so i dont think they need to wait for prices to drop. In a bizzare way i can see Microsoft paying royalities in some way for Navi tech. We don't really know what the agreement is between Sony and Amd on Navi tech.

Sony do not own the IP to Navi.
Navi is Graphics Core Next, it predates even the Playstation 4.

Sony wouldn't even get a look-in on building the GPU in question, they can make suggestions, but you can bet AMD would like to keep it's IP.

TallSilhouette said:
Music to my ears. Most interested in that SSD. Can they afford to make it a purely solid state system or will it be a hybrid setup?

Also love hearing more about 3D audio (and using ray tracing for it). Sound design hasn't kept up with visuals at all. It needs to be physically rendered just like other elements. Should do wonders for stealth and multiplayer games and reduce the reliance on your hud.

The irony is... We were heading down this road in regards to Audio, then in the last decade or so the entire industry went backwards.
The Original Xbox for example had Sound-storm which could do full positional 3D audio... And even the PC was a step above even that with Aureal A3D.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

YES, backwards compatibility is exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I can just take my entire PS4 library with me to PS5 and still catch up on the ones that I wasn't able to play on PS4 yet or are releasing at the end of this generation like Dreams.

The use of an SSD and what that means for load times and changes to how games work/run is really interesting as well. Damn, Sony really dropped this out of nowhere today, huh? lmao, i'm excited to see more tho!

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

85$? Newegg is expensive for those, apparently. I got 60€ on Alternate, Vat included. But the price of an 1TB SSD is about the same, somewhat over 100€, but the cheapest ones had shitty transfer speeds for SSD. Actually usable ones started at over 120€, so twice the price.

An SSD will be included in the build, but I don't expect it to be the main storage. I expect it to be used similarly to StoreMI on AMD 4xx Motherboards, where you can couple a small SSD with any HDD to achieve near SSD speeds for the whole package, as the SSD is mainly used as chache. But that only works on the second and subsequent runs, as it needs the first one to know what to cache.

Anything else would make the build too expensive, like I said before a 2TB SSD (in the interview he also talks about expanding storage, so certainly more than 1TByte) would cost around 250$, that's just too expensive right now.

https://www.alternate.be/Seagate/BarraCuda-2-TB-Harde-schijf/html/product/1307667?lk=6075

85€, the 60€ was a desktop one not a laptop.

Even though the article don't exactly dispel the HDD/SSD combo, it's just clear it will be a SSD only.

70€ for a laptop HDD: https://www.alternate.de/Seagate/ST2000LM015-2-TB-Festplatte/html/product/1307667?

It's clear it's not, 250€ for a 2TB SSD would just make it too expensive. Like I said, a solution like StoreMI gets similar results yet is much, much cheaper for Sony.

It is slightly slower than using just an SSD, but the common consumer won't notice that. What's more, it eliminates the risk of only using an SSD: having people cramming them to the brink and then wondering why the performance tanks

Trumpstyle said:
CGI-Quality said:

CPU: Zen 2 eight to twelve core @ 3GHz
GPU: Navi
RAM:16GB G6 (could use G5X, but I doubt it)
HDD: 4TB (Confirmed SSD, will likely be 1-2TB)

My original prediction with the updated SSD info (I was always more on shaky ground regarding that). I'm still confident in 16GB of G6, but I can see as high as 24. CPU/GPU were always obvious and clocks will be the determining factors there.

We had 3 new rumors from Jason Schreier, french leak and Brad sams since I made my prediction in the same thread, here's my updated one.

Xbox two (Lockhart)
CPU: Zen2 8 cores, 16 threads, 2,4 ghz
GPU: Navi 4TF
Memory: 12GB Gddr6 Ram, 192-bit bus, 336 GB/s Bandwidth
Storage: 1TB NVMe drive (Will be disc-less)
Launch: Fall 2020 250-300$

Xbox two+ (Anaconda)
CPU: Zen2 8 cores, 16 threads, 2,8 ghz
GPU: Navi 12TF, 80CU with 1200 Mhz clock
Memory: 16GB Gddr6 Ram, 256-bit bus, 448 GB/s Bandwidth
Storage: 1TB NVMe drive
Launch: Fall 2020 400$

Playstation 5
CPU: Zen2 8 cores, 16 threads, 2,8 ghz
GPU: Navi 12TF, 80CU with 1200 Mhz clock
Memory: 16GB Gddr6 Ram, 256-bit bus, 448 GB/s Bandwidth
Storage: 1TB NVMe drive
Launch: Spring 2020 400$

Basically I don't think Microsoft is doing a premium console anymore based on information from the French leak and Brad sams, it will be a cheap 1080p Disc-less console for 250-300$ and a mainstream console for 400$. PS5 and Xbox two+ (anaconda) will probably be identical in spec.

400$ might sounds cheap but here's my build:

Soc/Apu = 100$
Memory = 70$
Nvme drive = 50$
Rest = 150$
Total = 370$

Prices are based on speculation.

Even at 7nm, a chip with 8 CPU cores, 80 Compute Units and all the caches will be gargantuan, with about 500 mm2 at the very least. 100$ per chip wouldn't even be enough to pay TSMC for the wafers, let alone make any profit for AMD. You can at least double the price for that just to make it covering the costs.

Also, just a 50$ NVME drive? If you really expect PS5 to be SSD only, then that's certainly not nearly enough. 80$ would be a better fit right now when buying in bulk.

As you can see, 400$ for your build are impossible, put at least another 100$ on top of it.

Finally, An Xbox 2 model being considerably less powerful than the One X doesn't make sense at all to me. I think it would at least match the One X in GPU performance, with the better CPU and possibly more RAM making the difference between the two.

Just happy to hear that we're getting Backwards-Compatibility. I would assume 4K bluray would be a no-brainer.

4 ≈ One

Marth said:
Using SSDs for next generation sure is great, but it also comes at a cost. If they aim to achive 4k and even 8k gaming the assets are going to be MASSIVE.
So the internal SSD would need quite a few TB of space or else you can only keep a few games at a time.

Which also makes me wonder what kind of optical disk they are going to use.
What kind of Blue-Rays are currently in use for PS4 games?

Anyway things are starting to get interesting. Looking forward to Microsofts answer at E3.

Might be Ultra HD Blu-ray which is 50GB min standard.  Compared to Blu-ray which is 25GB min standard.  Triple layer Blu-ray discs are 100GB so that may also be an option.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

CGI-Quality said:
twintail said:

8k doesn't mean anything for gaming.  It's not feasible.  But Netflix,  sure. 

Even then, it'll be a good while before you start seeing that kind of content showing up. There's still plenty that hasn't even made it to 4K on that yet.

Gonna be a few years yet before I invest in a 4k TV.  It's still hard to get a decent 1080p 32" tv.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.