By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The cart limitations of the Switch is really starting to hurt the console.

This conversation has come up before and I recall some ppl being quite adamant that it was impossible it was a cost issue, even though evidence proved otherwise.

Cart sizes need to come down but considering how well Switch is selling, how well Nintendo games are selling, and the fact that publishers are already trying to get their games out on Switch, Nintendo might see little reason to drop cart prices even if they can.

Around the Network

Carts are expensive, they get more expensive based on storage space. Frankly, publishers would obviously like to avoid producing them.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

spemanig said:
Ganoncrotch said:
the title doesn't seem to be really reflected in the OP, where's the actual impact on sales based on the title?

the title doesn't seem to be really reflected in the comment, where's the actual part where he mentions sales in the title?

I would imagine when he talks about hurting a console the idea is that it's being hurt as a product which would make it sell less, I do not imagine the OP thinks the console is a feeling piece of hardware that actually suffers pain! I could be wrong of course, perhaps he thinks it has an advanced AI which can read comments on the internet and feel physical pain from them.... I know after being on this site a while I certainly do.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Eh. Bleeding edge AAA non-nintendo content is not exactly what Switch was ever going to be known for in the first place. If you are a Switch exclusive owner then you don't care necessarily whether the content is on the Switch in the first place or whether it is a compressed lower res version. You bought it for Nintendo, because Nintendo.

If you want the higher res, best version of a AAA game that surpasses the limitations of what is currently possible with the Switch (cart size or otherwise) you buy a PS4 or XBONE. Does it perhaps tilt a _few_ peoples decisions in buying a PS4/XBONE first before buying a Switch? Maybe. But that ship sailed a while ago and there is virtually no turning back at this point. The Switch is going to do just fine and with a few more SKUs will do even better. I might even buy one eventually if the right SKU comes along.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Mr Puggsly said:
Carts are expensive, they get more expensive based on storage space. Frankly, publishers would obviously like to avoid producing them.

Yeah, up until 8GB it's really cheap, but then it starts curbing upwards. 16GB should be pretty cheap too nowadays, with 32GB however starting to become expensive. 64GB, while technically very possible, would eat to much of the profits to make then viable right now.

On that note, Optical dics are also getting more and more expensive since they are getting less and less mass produced. With movies increasingly coming in digital form through the internet, the demand for Blu-Rays has been dropping for years, making the production more expensive in turn. In other words, for smaller capacities, Switch cartridges should slowly actually become cheaper than Blu-Ray Discs in the smaller categories (4 and 8GB).

Around the Network
Jranation said:
I thought people are saying that we are entering the digital generation?

We are, those people are mostly playing on something other than Nintendo, though. We shouldn't forget that Nintendo is only a small slice of the gaming market. PC and mobile are already 100% digital and PS4 and Xbox are approaching 50%, if they haven't already passed it. So yes, we're already very much in that digital generation with the vast majority of games not coming with a physical release anymore.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Cobretti2 said:
well damn another game I won't be buying.

How hard is it to compress video files for cut scene to make it fit a cart lol. If pirates can do it, so can developers

Pre-rendered cutscenes?
I play a lot of games and I've noticed that nearly everything is real time nowadays.
Hellblade doesn't have any pre-rendered cutscenes FYI.

RetroGamer94 said:
Seems more like a lazy developer issue more then a switch issue, why not just compress the files or figure a way out to split the files, 16 G on the card and download the other 2G prior to playing.

Yes bigger cards would be great as well but I just find the size of files these days are getting absurd. (Not talking about this game specifically as 18G isn’t that bad this day and age. Talking about games that are 50-100 Gb destroying my PS4 hard drive lol)

Yer this whole release incomplete games with bugs then suddenly need a day 1 20GB file to fix shit is getting beyond stupid.

How are you meant to manage all these downloads? What happens when the gen ends and you haven't had a chance to install all your games and patches and then the services are shutdown? You have a lot of broken games, or games that are tide to a console.

gergroy said:
Better digital only than physical only... of course, I’m slightly biased... haven’t bought a physical game in almost a decade...

This is something I don't get. How do you manage all your digital downloads for when the online services eventually get shut down? you won't be able to download and reinstall the games again.

Barozi said:
Cobretti2 said:
well damn another game I won't be buying.

How hard is it to compress video files for cut scene to make it fit a cart lol. If pirates can do it, so can developers

Pre-rendered cutscenes?
I play a lot of games and I've noticed that nearly everything is real time nowadays.
Hellblade doesn't have any pre-rendered cutscenes FYI.

interesting, i didn't realise that they all did it on the fly. Thought it was still videos haha.

sometimes the video scenes seem better quality then the game lol, so assumed was all pre-rendered videos