By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The cart limitations of the Switch is really starting to hurt the console.

Plot twist: "Physical" version of MK11 for Switch will come with a code in the box.

Around the Network

The issue isn't so much fitting it on physical media.. Its the cost of the carts.  Its an inevitable issue with a portable based system. Costs will come down over time. 

Quick question: isn't hellblade digital only on every platform?

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:

Original release, yes. It's since gotten physical releases.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
d21lewis said:

Original release, yes. It's since gotten physical releases.

That's pretty awesome. Maybe they'll do the same for Switch somewhere down the line. I know the whole point of this thread is the size but maybe Ninja Theory can work a miracle.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
melbye said:
I can sorta understand that SOME publishers don't want to invest in a 32GB cart because they are probably really expensive, i have a bigger problem with Capcom who couldn't even invest in 4GB cart for Mega Man Legacy Collection. But i absolutely refuse to buy physical editions that come with a code in the box

I prefer physical editions that come with a code in the box, if the cart is playable without the code.

seems pointless, might as well buy it on the eShop then

Nothing to see here, move along

thetonestarr said:
melbye said:
I can sorta understand that SOME publishers don't want to invest in a 32GB cart because they are probably really expensive, i have a bigger problem with Capcom who couldn't even invest in 4GB cart for Mega Man Legacy Collection. But i absolutely refuse to buy physical editions that come with a code in the box

I prefer physical editions that come with a code in the box, if the cart is playable without the code.

Then what's the point of the code?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Convenience of being able to load it without switching carts, while also affording the permanence of owning a cart and the ability to play well after the eshop listing is long gone.

That's, uh, been a common preference since the very first days of digital releases.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Getting larger carts out isn't going to bring more titles to Switch.  The real problem, as I see it, is that it's the cost of the carts that's keeping certain games from using them.  YoungBlood is a perfect example.  A budget game getting disc (cheap) release on other platforms, and only a dl code for Switch instead of the pricier cart.

I'm less bothered by large, expensive games not being given a physical release than I am by smaller games that cost more on Switch than, say, PS4 and XB1 when there is no real justification. If you're going to charge $10 more for Resident Evil 4 on Switch, then why not offer it in physical form? That $10 made all the difference to me because I refuse to be milked. The fact that Capcom couldn't somehow fit twenty year old Mega Man games onto a single card was also somewhat annoying.