By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The cart limitations of the Switch is really starting to hurt the console.

Plot twist: "Physical" version of MK11 for Switch will come with a code in the box.

Around the Network

The issue isn't so much fitting it on physical media.. Its the cost of the carts.  Its an inevitable issue with a portable based system. Costs will come down over time. 

Quick question: isn't hellblade digital only on every platform?

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:

Original release, yes. It's since gotten physical releases.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
d21lewis said:

Original release, yes. It's since gotten physical releases.

That's pretty awesome. Maybe they'll do the same for Switch somewhere down the line. I know the whole point of this thread is the size but maybe Ninja Theory can work a miracle.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
melbye said:
I can sorta understand that SOME publishers don't want to invest in a 32GB cart because they are probably really expensive, i have a bigger problem with Capcom who couldn't even invest in 4GB cart for Mega Man Legacy Collection. But i absolutely refuse to buy physical editions that come with a code in the box

I prefer physical editions that come with a code in the box, if the cart is playable without the code.

seems pointless, might as well buy it on the eShop then

thetonestarr said:
melbye said:
I can sorta understand that SOME publishers don't want to invest in a 32GB cart because they are probably really expensive, i have a bigger problem with Capcom who couldn't even invest in 4GB cart for Mega Man Legacy Collection. But i absolutely refuse to buy physical editions that come with a code in the box

I prefer physical editions that come with a code in the box, if the cart is playable without the code.

Then what's the point of the code?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Convenience of being able to load it without switching carts, while also affording the permanence of owning a cart and the ability to play well after the eshop listing is long gone.

That's, uh, been a common preference since the very first days of digital releases.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Getting larger carts out isn't going to bring more titles to Switch.  The real problem, as I see it, is that it's the cost of the carts that's keeping certain games from using them.  YoungBlood is a perfect example.  A budget game getting disc (cheap) release on other platforms, and only a dl code for Switch instead of the pricier cart.

I'm less bothered by large, expensive games not being given a physical release than I am by smaller games that cost more on Switch than, say, PS4 and XB1 when there is no real justification. If you're going to charge $10 more for Resident Evil 4 on Switch, then why not offer it in physical form? That $10 made all the difference to me because I refuse to be milked. The fact that Capcom couldn't somehow fit twenty year old Mega Man games onto a single card was also somewhat annoying.