By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mortal Kombat 11 will be 60fps on Switch

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Mhm, sure. And my dick is 10 inches.

but is it thick?

Around the Network

It should much easier with s fighting game right? It doesn’t seem like the type of thing to be CPU bound. It’s not like there’s tons of crazy ai, crowd, nature simulation, interaction with the environment etc.

they can easily scale down what’s happening in the background & take it easy on the particle effects whilst maintains the same experience.

Otter said:

It should much easier with s fighting game right? It doesn’t seem like the type of thing to be CPU bound. It’s not like there’s tons of crazy ai, crowd, nature simulation, interaction with the environment etc.

they can easily scale down what’s happening in the background & take it easy on the particle effects whilst maintains the same experience.

To an extent yes, but it's still not a walk in the park to bring a game designed for the PS4 and Xbox One to a much less powerful mobile device. Rebuilding assets from scratch often can take a lot of time and work, so it's generally more financially viable to take the existing assets and pare them back, in which case you have to be very careful where you nip and tuck so as not to compromise the game's aesthetic or make things look just plain fugly. It's a tricky balancing act.

curl-6 said:

I don't know, but I'm not sure I want to find out haha.

Do you think MK11 will be 60fps on Switch?

The more I think about it, the more I believe it. NetherRealm seem to have their priorities straight. How much of a graphical loss there will be, I don't know. I would'nt be surprised if there were some frame dips, occasional or not. 

Resolution will obviously take a hit, probably along with stuff like shadow quality, scene complexity, etc. Considering though that it's a one-on-one fighter it should still look okay; those who played it at PAX came away with positive impressions. 

Mhm, sure. And my dick is 10 inches.

Is it used in a Mortal Kombat 11 finisher too?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Injustice and Mortal Kombat were scaled back to for Vita. I imagine scaling back MK11 for Switch will actually be easier.

I still have my cart for MK on Vita. The graphics are underwhelming even for PS2 standards but its plays fine and also 60 fps I believe.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

It is pretty clear that it probably doesn't look good considering we had no footage yet. In the end it probably will be fine but I don't like they don't show footage so close to release.

I have lost a friend because we had a rude fight recently, about the fact that I was considering the Switch more in the range of the PS3/XBOX360/WiiU power, and she was telling that the Switch was actually much closer to the base XBOX1...She was saying that XC2 was "miles away" above XCX in term of global graphics and rendering, and I disagree with this.
2019 should bring an answer to this debate.

Bayonetta 3 should be the first really "heavy and graphically serious type" 1st party game built from scratch and optimised for the Switch.

Amnesia said:

I have lost a friend because we had a rude fight recently, about the fact that I was considering the Switch more in the range of the PS3/XBOX360/WiiU power, and she was telling that the Switch was actually much closer to the base XBOX1...She was saying that XC2 was "miles away" above XCX in term of global graphics and rendering, and I disagree with this.
2019 should bring an answer to this debate.

Bayonetta 3 should be the first really "heavy and graphically serious type" 1st party game built from scratch and optimised for the Switch.

Is disagreement about video games systems really worth losing a friend over though? If it was me I'd just say agree to disagree and move on, surely friendship is more important?

At any rate, as far as Switch's power goes, it is closer to PS3/360/Wii U in raw power, but closer to PS4/Xbone in terms of graphical feature set, hence how it can handle games like Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein II with almost all their PS4-tier effects, just at the cost of 30fps and a low resolution.

Personally I'm most interested to see what Shin'en can squeeze out of it once they finally get off their butts and make a game from the ground up for Switch. They have a long history of pushing the limits of Nintendo hardware since the GBA.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 April 2019

curl-6 said:

I don't expect Bayo 3 to be a technological showpiece though, Platinum's games almost never are. Personally I'm most interested to see what Shin'en can squeeze out of it once they finally get off their butts and make a game from the ground up for Switch. They have a long history of pushing the limits of Nintendo hardware since the GBA.

Are you sure you're not exaggerating quite a bit there? I don't think either are technical marvels in terms of the entire industry, but I'm not sure why something like say Fast Racing Neo, is more of a technical showcase than Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U. Especially because Fast Racing Neo mainly just used the speed of the game to hide it's various downsides, which is much easier to do in a linear racing game than something like Bayonetta where - after and before combat - you can examine the entire environment. They are both technical showcases for the Wii U, but I'm not sure why Fast Racing Neo is so much more of one than Bayonetta 2 to the point that Bayonetta 3 isn't even comparable to Shin'en's next game. Fast Racing Neo still had artifacts, occasionally inconsistent frame rate, low res rendering, poor textures, and - at least from what I remember of the Switch version (don't think Digital Foundry mentioned this in their original video since they actually like this effect) extraordinarily excessive motion blur at high speeds. 

When you realize that Bayonetta is working with a full environment, trying to achieve the same frame rate as Neo, and juggling tons of huge enemies on screen - along with set pieces that look a lot better than Neo despite being nearly as linear as Neo's tracks, they start to become much more comparable. Even if in the moment Neo's flaws are much harder to notice than Bayonetta 2's. Admittedly Neo's framerate is much more consistent - but again - this really has to do with the complexity of what's happening on screen with Bayonetta 2, which also contributes to being a technical marvel for the hardware. 

Both will be a benchmark for Switch I think, and probably even comparable benchmarks at that. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 07 April 2019

curl-6 said:

I don't expect Bayo 3 to be a technological showpiece though, Platinum's games almost never are. Personally I'm most interested to see what Shin'en can squeeze out of it once they finally get off their butts and make a game from the ground up for Switch. They have a long history of pushing the limits of Nintendo hardware since the GBA.

Are you sure you're not exaggerating quite a bit there? I don't think either are technical marvels in terms of the entire industry, but I'm not sure why something like say Fast Racing Neo, is more of a technical showcase than Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U. Especially because Fast Racing Neo mainly just used the speed of the game to hide it's various downsides, which is much easier to do in a linear racing game than something like Bayonetta where - after and before combat - you can examine the entire environment. They are both technical showcases for the Wii U, but I'm not sure why Fast Racing Neo is so much more of one than Bayonetta 2 to the point that Bayonetta 3 isn't even comparable to Shin'en's next game. Fast Racing Neo still had artifacts, occasionally inconsistent frame rate, low res rendering, poor textures, and - at least from what I remember of the Switch version (don't think Digital Foundry mentioned this in their original video since they actually like this effect) extraordinarily excessive motion blur at high speeds. 

When you realize that Bayonetta is working with a full environment, trying to achieve the same frame rate as Neo, and juggling tons of huge enemies on screen - along with set pieces that look a lot better than Neo despite being nearly as linear as Neo's tracks, they start to become much more comparable. Even if in the moment Neo's flaws are much harder to notice than Bayonetta 2's. 

Both will be a benchmark for Switch I think, and probably even comparable benchmarks at that. 

I was speaking in purely technological terms; Bayo 2 definitely has moments of great spectacle, but its also using rendering techniques that are pretty standard for a Wii U game. FRN on the other hand uses techniques more common to the PS4.