By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 16 March 2019

Shiken said:
Rob5VGC said:
Japan has been the reason why Switch has been selling more than PS4 for weeks this year. It is the difference maker. Take it out or make the Switch numbers equal with PS4 and PS4 would be outselling it every week.

Note: I don't care for the PS4. Just stating the obvious that this is more impressive for PS4 with how old it is.

The problem with that logic is that it is not different than me saying, "well if you take europe out and only look at US, the Switch is constantly ahead of PS4 even without Japan."

It is all or nothing, there is no other way.  Yes it is impressive how well the PS4 is doing going into its 6th year, but that does not change the fact that the Switch is normally ahead of it this year.  You say you are not pro PS4, but you comment is one that would only be made by someone who is teying to downplay Switch sales as it is irrelevant information.

Way to go and make it like an attack on other user and stealth accusation of fanboyism.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

These are certainly much better examples, still that is basically the norm for PS4 if look at it.

Also the bigger games will still release at the end of the year. Anyway as I said I find it hard to happen Switch 20+M and PS4 15-M for this year (next year that is pretty much a given).

There may be better examples, but The Division 2 was the biggest of the bunch this week, and it certainly also helped that it got some tailwind from DMC 5. But, yeah, like Zorg said, it's just an example.

Switch currently competes against a PS4 with all those game releases with nothing and still come out on top most of the time. What do you think will be the situation in Summer and Fall when the positions are switched around and Switch is getting all the games, but not the PS4?

Division 2 could have been the biggest of the week, that is irrelevant, just show that the week hadn't any title to push PS4 HW.

End of the year certainly Switch will sell more than PS4, the point I made is that I think it hardly will be a 5+M gap.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

These are certainly much better examples, still that is basically the norm for PS4 if look at it.

Also the bigger games will still release at the end of the year. Anyway as I said I find it hard to happen Switch 20+M and PS4 15-M for this year (next year that is pretty much a given).

The YoY decline will continue at a similar rate in Q2. Days Gone has the potential to be a solid system seller but I doubt it comes close to what God of War did last April. May has Rage 2 & Crash Racing in June vs Detroit & The Crew 2 so expect those those months to be down as well.

What big games are confirmed for the 2nd half of the year? The annual sports and Call of Duty are coming but their console moving ability gets smaller each year as these will be the 7th entry of those titles.

Some safe bets are Doom 2 from Bethesda vs Fallout 76 last year, Borderlands 3 from Take-Two vs Red Dead 2 last year, Watch Dogs from Ubisoft vs Assassin's Creed last year, Star Wars from EA vs Battlefield V last year, Last of Us 2 from Sony vs Spiderman last year.

Let's say it's a tie overall when it comes to big games in the 2nd half of the year, that likely means a notable decline as it's harder for titles to sell consoles when you get late into a consoles cycle.

15 million for PS4 requires a ~17% YoY decline and 20m for Switch requires a ~22% increase which shouldn't be too hard to imagine since PS4 is currently down by over 20% and Switch up by about 28%.

Are we going to assume none of the 3 most expected games for PS4 won't release this year? TLOU, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushijima.

I expect PS4 to be about 16M and Switch 19M.

MasonADC said:
DonFerrari said:

I would think 20 million for switch is much more likely to happen this year than next 

I didn't mean it is more likely that Switch will be 20M next year, I meant that 5M gap is almost certain next year.

Shiken said:
Nate4Drake said:

We continue to compare apples with oranges, and this will keep going for ever.  PS4 is an old Home Console, Switch a reletavely new portable from Nintendo. Can people realize that it is silly to compare sales of PS4 and Switch in 2019 and 2020 ? This is much more silly than reiterating what I have just said; Switch is the new Nintendo gimmick, it belongs to its own generation, and it's not even competing directly with Playstation, as it offers a completely different game experience, and absolutely almost nothing new to play lately;  it can sell very good just because of the hardware, it is considered a Toy by many american people who are buying it for their kids. Parents can play together with kids, and many people do not even have enough time to sit on a comfortable sofa and play videogames.  Some can just play in their spare time, during the lunch break, or between lessons at school or University.  In a place like Japan it is a lot related to their life style and "Social side".  Is it so important to waste pages and pages about the amount of gap Switch and PS4 will have in 2019 ?  1M, 2M, 3M, 4M ?  Are you playing "selling numbers" or Videogames ?  I do play videogames, and everytime I turn on my PS4, I don't know what to play because there are so many new Great games, I'm not kidding, it can take 10 minutes before being able to choose the Game to play. My Switch is collecting dust, there is nothig to play, and I don't give a fook about Japanes sales figures; I'm from Italy and I do play videogames.  What about you? (in general, not referring to you in particular). 

For the Gap between the two, it depends on PS4 price cut; the price will be cut to $249 ? $199 ? And when, around E3 Time, or 1st of September ? And what about a price cut for Switch or a new revision ? Do we have a crystal ball ? I do not have one personally, so I prefer to not waste my time giving figures I have no idea, 'cause they depends upon factors we don't know yet. I personally prefer to play Video Games, and now it's time to go back to Sekiro ;)

There is a lot wrong with this post.  Right off the bat, it is worth noting that the Switch has offered more to play in less than two years than the PS4 did in two entire years.  So the whole, "offering nothing new to play" notion is a joke.  I still remember defending the PS4 during the "indie station 4", "PS3.5", and "PS4 has no gamez" days that Sony fans seem to forget about.  Most of what it offered was cross gen ports for the longest time, and the first real notable exclusive was Bloodborne ,over two years after the PS4 was released.  Meanwhile the Switch has given us several high quality exclusives already, two of which were GotY contenders, and one of which WON GotY 2017.

The Switch is a home console that can be taken on the go.  This is why it has home console 3rd party games such as DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dragonball FighterZ, Mortal Kombat, Crash, etc.  And of course this is complemented by the fact that it also recieves all of Nintendo's home console titles as well.  Many people use it exclusively docked as well, which changes how the console functions as it is more than jist an HDMI out.  As for the "Nintendo Gimmik" comment, that does nothing but scream downplay on your part.  Unless you are willing to admit that remote play, VR, PS Now and the like are just Sony gimmiks (even more so than the hybrid console concept in fact), which makes the PS4 far more gimmiky than the Switch.

You claim the Switch is a toy for kids, but the main demographic buying and playing it is adults.  This has been pointed out time and time again, but I guess that bothers you so you cling to a past stigma about Nintendo like a crutch and refuse to see it for what it is.  What you play is up to you, but I play my Switch far more than my PS4, and all of the games I play on it are new.  In the past six months I played Starlink, Wolfenstein 2, Dragonball FighterZ, Smash, Ys VIII, Valkeria Chronicles 4, and Yoshi on my Switch alone.  On my PS4 I have played RDR2 (most overrated game I have ever played), DMC5, and REmake 2.

I have the same options as anyone else, but my Switch gets more attention while my PS4 collects dust at times.  There are plenty of options on both sides, but you seem to ignore that and base things on your personal preferences alone.  It only hurts your argument in the end however.  Instead of downplaying a successful Nintendo console just to white knight for console that frankly does not need it just to discredit any logic you may or may not have had due to how ridiculous you sound, try acknowledging what both devices have to offer while discussing the pros of both.  Personal preference has no place in a sales discussion, as sales are just that...sales.  Maybe then your posts may eventually be taken seriously by anyone without the same bias as yourself.

Just my 2 Rupees.

So Switch had more to play in the 2 years than PS4? Then we have to go back to a lot of threads that on aligned sales had the "but Switch didn't had a noteworthy game in the last 6-12 months".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

The problem with that logic is that it is not different than me saying, "well if you take europe out and only look at US, the Switch is constantly ahead of PS4 even without Japan."

It is all or nothing, there is no other way.  Yes it is impressive how well the PS4 is doing going into its 6th year, but that does not change the fact that the Switch is normally ahead of it this year.  You say you are not pro PS4, but you comment is one that would only be made by someone who is teying to downplay Switch sales as it is irrelevant information.

Way to go and make it like an attack on other user and stealth accusation of fanboyism.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

There may be better examples, but The Division 2 was the biggest of the bunch this week, and it certainly also helped that it got some tailwind from DMC 5. But, yeah, like Zorg said, it's just an example.

Switch currently competes against a PS4 with all those game releases with nothing and still come out on top most of the time. What do you think will be the situation in Summer and Fall when the positions are switched around and Switch is getting all the games, but not the PS4?

Division 2 could have been the biggest of the week, that is irrelevant, just show that the week hadn't any title to push PS4 HW.

End of the year certainly Switch will sell more than PS4, the point I made is that I think it hardly will be a 5+M gap.

zorg1000 said:

The YoY decline will continue at a similar rate in Q2. Days Gone has the potential to be a solid system seller but I doubt it comes close to what God of War did last April. May has Rage 2 & Crash Racing in June vs Detroit & The Crew 2 so expect those those months to be down as well.

What big games are confirmed for the 2nd half of the year? The annual sports and Call of Duty are coming but their console moving ability gets smaller each year as these will be the 7th entry of those titles.

Some safe bets are Doom 2 from Bethesda vs Fallout 76 last year, Borderlands 3 from Take-Two vs Red Dead 2 last year, Watch Dogs from Ubisoft vs Assassin's Creed last year, Star Wars from EA vs Battlefield V last year, Last of Us 2 from Sony vs Spiderman last year.

Let's say it's a tie overall when it comes to big games in the 2nd half of the year, that likely means a notable decline as it's harder for titles to sell consoles when you get late into a consoles cycle.

15 million for PS4 requires a ~17% YoY decline and 20m for Switch requires a ~22% increase which shouldn't be too hard to imagine since PS4 is currently down by over 20% and Switch up by about 28%.

Are we going to assume none of the 3 most expected games for PS4 won't release this year? TLOU, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushijima.

MasonADC said:

I would think 20 million for switch is much more likely to happen this year than next 

I didn't mean it is more likely that Switch will be 20M next year, I meant that 5M gap is almost certain next year.

Shiken said:

There is a lot wrong with this post.  Right off the bat, it is worth noting that the Switch has offered more to play in less than two years than the PS4 did in two entire years.  So the whole, "offering nothing new to play" notion is a joke.  I still remember defending the PS4 during the "indie station 4", "PS3.5", and "PS4 has no gamez" days that Sony fans seem to forget about.  Most of what it offered was cross gen ports for the longest time, and the first real notable exclusive was Bloodborne ,over two years after the PS4 was released.  Meanwhile the Switch has given us several high quality exclusives already, two of which were GotY contenders, and one of which WON GotY 2017.

The Switch is a home console that can be taken on the go.  This is why it has home console 3rd party games such as DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dragonball FighterZ, Mortal Kombat, Crash, etc.  And of course this is complemented by the fact that it also recieves all of Nintendo's home console titles as well.  Many people use it exclusively docked as well, which changes how the console functions as it is more than jist an HDMI out.  As for the "Nintendo Gimmik" comment, that does nothing but scream downplay on your part.  Unless you are willing to admit that remote play, VR, PS Now and the like are just Sony gimmiks (even more so than the hybrid console concept in fact), which makes the PS4 far more gimmiky than the Switch.

You claim the Switch is a toy for kids, but the main demographic buying and playing it is adults.  This has been pointed out time and time again, but I guess that bothers you so you cling to a past stigma about Nintendo like a crutch and refuse to see it for what it is.  What you play is up to you, but I play my Switch far more than my PS4, and all of the games I play on it are new.  In the past six months I played Starlink, Wolfenstein 2, Dragonball FighterZ, Smash, Ys VIII, Valkeria Chronicles 4, and Yoshi on my Switch alone.  On my PS4 I have played RDR2 (most overrated game I have ever played), DMC5, and REmake 2.

I have the same options as anyone else, but my Switch gets more attention while my PS4 collects dust at times.  There are plenty of options on both sides, but you seem to ignore that and base things on your personal preferences alone.  It only hurts your argument in the end however.  Instead of downplaying a successful Nintendo console just to white knight for console that frankly does not need it just to discredit any logic you may or may not have had due to how ridiculous you sound, try acknowledging what both devices have to offer while discussing the pros of both.  Personal preference has no place in a sales discussion, as sales are just that...sales.  Maybe then your posts may eventually be taken seriously by anyone without the same bias as yourself.

Just my 2 Rupees.

So Switch had more to play in the 2 years than PS4? Then we have to go back to a lot of threads that on aligned sales had the "but Switch didn't had a noteworthy game in the last 6-12 months".

All I have to do a is point out the fact that the PS4 was 90% cross gen games for over a year, giving little incentive to upgrade, to immediately put that to rest.  Switch had a slow first half of 2018, for certain.  The PS4 had over a year of disappointment before things turned around.  Look I had a PS4 since launch and when I have to play a game like Bound By Flame because there was a total lack of ANY decent RPG on the system until Dragon Age (which is controversial, but I liked it), there is a huge problem with pretending like it offered more than the Switch does.

Much like how I defended the PS4 on here during those times because fanbases like to blow things out of proportion, I will also defend the Switch when the same BS gets thrown around by those trying to downplay.  The funny thing is, it is easier this time around because the Switch actually does have a lot to offer during those first two years.

I mean when the only thing someone can do right now is bring up a single slow 6 month period that has already passed or cling to past stigmas that no longer exist, it really shows how little they have to offer to the topic at hand.

As for the other reply you quoted me on...

I did not mean to come across as hostile, but I know I can sound harsh at times.  I am simply pointing out how pointless and irrelevant his information was as it can turned around very easily.  The motive behind his post was also questioned with merit as well, because there is literally no other reason to twist information the way he did.  That is all.  In no way was I "attacking" him.

Last edited by Shiken - on 31 March 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Wait. So, the PS4 is in it's 6th year?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

DonFerrari said:

zorg1000 said:

Did you not read my post? I have Last of Us in it, even if you add in a 2nd of those 3 titles it doesnt change anything.

Q2-Q4 2018 had God of War, Detroit, Spider Man, Red Dead, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Fallout 76, Spyro, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Just Cause, Soul Calibur, Darksiders, FIFA, Madden & NBA as moderate-major releases.

Q2-Q4 2019 lineup will likely look something like Days Gone, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Mortal Kombat, Rage 2, Crash Racing, Doom, Star Wars, Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, Borderlands 3, Wolfenstein, Control, Shenmue, FIFA, Madden & NBA as moderate-major releases.

The lineups essentially cancel each other out just like Q1 2018 vs Q1 2019 cancelled each other out and the age of the system comes into play so a similar decline as we have seen is to be expected.

16 million would be an ~11% decline, the exact same as last year, 15-20% decline is far more likely. Also that's a 2 million decline and it's already down ~680k YoY in only 2.5 months.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

All I have to do a is point out the fact that the PS4 was 90% cross gen games for over a year, giving little incentive to upgrade, to immediately put that to rest.  Switch had a slow first half of 2018, for certain.  The PS4 had over a year of disappointment before things turned around.  Look I had a PS4 since launch and when I have to play a game like Bound By Flame because there was a total lack of ANY decent RPG on the system until Dragon Age (which is controversial, but I liked it), there is a huge problem with pretending like it offered more than the Switch does.

Much like how I defended the PS4 on here during those times because fanbases like to blow things out of proportion, I will also defend the Switch when the same BS gets thrown around by those trying to downplay.  The funny thing is, it is easier this time around because the Switch actually does have a lot to offer during those first two years.

I mean when the only thing someone can do right now is bring up a single slow 6 month period that has already passed or cling to past stigmas that no longer exist, it really shows how little they have to offer to the topic at hand.

As for the other reply you quoted me on...

I did not mean to come across as hostile, but I know I can sound harsh at times.  I am simply pointing out how pointless and irrelevant his information was as it can turned around very easily.  The motive behind his post was also questioned with merit as well, because there is literally no other reason to twist information the way he did.  That is all.  In no way was I "attacking" him.

The 2 first years have been crossgen since at least PS2 launch, so nothing new on that.

On the other point, well words can lead to wrong conclusion, if you weren't being aggressive ok, but I don't think there was a need to say that he was looking biased because of that comment.

I didn't had much problem finding good games on launch, well a little more trouble than the gens prior happened just because this was the first gen I bought in the start, PS1 I bougth after PS2 had released, PS2 I bought 1 year before PS3 launched, PS3 I bought 3 years after launch, PS4 6 months from launch so games were more expensive and had less variety, still I didn't had problem to find games. Of course the lower number of genres you like larger the chance for a gen start to be worse for you.

Also I would agree (even if it isn't the games I look forward) Zelda and Oddissey as launch titles were major stuff (likely would have launched in WiiU only if it didn't flop, while Sony had TLOU and GT6 launch in PS3 same year PS4 launched).

COKTOE said:

Wait. So, the PS4 is in it's 6th year?

Someone changed how we count years, so you are only in your 6th year after you enter the 7th.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Did you not read my post? I have Last of Us in it, even if you add in a 2nd of those 3 titles it doesnt change anything.

Q2-Q4 2018 had God of War, Detroit, Spider Man, Red Dead, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Fallout 76, Spyro, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Just Cause, Soul Calibur, Darksiders, FIFA, Madden & NBA as moderate-major releases.

Q2-Q4 2019 lineup will likely look something like Days Gone, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Mortal Kombat, Rage 2, Crash Racing, Doom, Star Wars, Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, Borderlands 3, Wolfenstein, Control, Shenmue, FIFA, Madden & NBA as moderate-major releases.

The lineups essentially cancel each other out just like Q1 2018 vs Q1 2019 cancelled each other out and the age of the system comes into play so a similar decline as we have seen is to be expected.

16 million would be an ~11% decline, the exact same as last year, 15-20% decline is far more likely. Also that's a 2 million decline and it's already down ~680k YoY in only 2.5 months.

I haven't seem TLOU in your previous post, if it was there my bad I missed. I would say this year have a small leg up as TLOU as exclusive is much more expected than RDR2 on PS4.

Using VGC before shipment corrections to predict the YOY down will only lead us to miss projections.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

zorg1000 said:

I haven't seem TLOU in your previous post, if it was there my bad I missed. I would say this year have a small leg up as TLOU as exclusive is much more expected than RDR2 on PS4.

Using VGC before shipment correction to predict the YOY down will only lead us to miss projections.

I doubt that TLOU will be bigger than RDR2 on PS4. RDR2 did 23 million in 2 months, at least 15 million of that was from PS4. TLOU did 17 million in 5 years on PS3+PS4. TLOU2 should sell more than 10 million this year if it releases in Sept/Oct but still much less than RDR2.

The problem you're making though is comparing titles in isolation when you need to be comparing the overall lineup over the year and it doesnt look like either will have any notable advantage.

Sure  Official numbers from Sony will give us a better picture but we have NPD+Media Create which have PS4 down by ~450k in Jan+Feb and there is no reason at all to not expect Europe & RotW to be down as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Using VGC before shipment correction to predict the YOY down will only lead us to miss projections.

I doubt that TLOU will be bigger than RDR2 on PS4. RDR2 did 23 million in 2 months, at least 15 million of that was from PS4. TLOU did 17 million in 5 years on PS3+PS4. TLOU2 should sell more than 10 million this year if it releases in Sept/Oct but still much less than RDR2.

The problem you're making though is comparing titles in isolation when you need to be comparing the overall lineup over the year and it doesnt look like either will have any notable advantage.

Sure  Official numbers from Sony will give us a better picture but we have NPD+Media Create which have PS4 down by ~450k in Jan+Feb and there is no reason at all to not expect Europe & RotW to be down as well.

I don't think TLOU2 will outsell RDR2, I do think it won't sell less HW than RDR2, two different things.

Europe and RoW will likely be down, but will it be by 200k? Same for how much Switch is up. We have seem big adjustment for month or quarter period in the recent past.

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

I don't think TLOU2 will outsell RDR2, I do think it won't sell less HW than RDR2, two different things.

Europe and RoW will likely be down, but will it be by 200k? Same for how much Switch is up. We have seem big adjustment for month or quarter period in the recent past.

TLOU2 will sell alot and it move some systems during the launch month but considering that TLOU has sold ~10 million on PS4 than I would say the majority of its audience is already on the system.

Probably pretty close to that, Jan+Feb has US down 136k and Japan down 312k so Europe+RotW being down ~200k is not farfetched at all.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I think that the people in this thread who are saying the PS4 is 6 years old would enjoy this video a lot and even learn while watching it! 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

TLOU2 will sell alot and it move some systems during the launch month but considering that TLOU has sold ~10 million on PS4 than I would say the majority of its audience is already on the system.

Probably pretty close to that, Jan+Feb has US down 136k and Japan down 312k so Europe+RotW being down ~200k is not farfetched at all.

It certainly isn't farfetched to have it 200k drop in Europe+RotW.

And yes most of the fanbase of TLOU have already bought PS4 at that moment or one of the good games launched in the over 5 years since launch.

I want to see how much Sony will forecast for the FY to have better aim, they have shipped over their projection basically every time this gen.