By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 16 March 2019

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

I doubt that TLOU will be bigger than RDR2 on PS4. RDR2 did 23 million in 2 months, at least 15 million of that was from PS4. TLOU did 17 million in 5 years on PS3+PS4. TLOU2 should sell more than 10 million this year if it releases in Sept/Oct but still much less than RDR2.

The problem you're making though is comparing titles in isolation when you need to be comparing the overall lineup over the year and it doesnt look like either will have any notable advantage.

Sure  Official numbers from Sony will give us a better picture but we have NPD+Media Create which have PS4 down by ~450k in Jan+Feb and there is no reason at all to not expect Europe & RotW to be down as well.

I don't think TLOU2 will outsell RDR2, I do think it won't sell less HW than RDR2, two different things.

Europe and RoW will likely be down, but will it be by 200k? Same for how much Switch is up. We have seem big adjustment for month or quarter period in the recent past.

Yeah... with the Switch having constantly been adjusted up since the holidays after each NPD while the PS4 got pushed down a notch in Europe, so this is not really helping your case.

But I guess we'll have to wait for the end of this month where the quarterly reports come out to be sure, at least in terms of shipments.

Around the Network

The 3DS is selling well for a console now entering its ninth year.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 01 April 2019

Vita is selling well for a console now discontinued.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I know some of you are trying a new joke, but now seriously, how many consoles (handhelds or home consoles) have sold around 15M finishing its 6th year(2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 6 complete years) at 300$ base price (in case PS4 does that at the end of 2019 which seems more than possible), after already sold almost 100M the year before....?. That's unprecedented. What Switch, 3DS, etc are doing.... is not.

This passive aggresive attitude in forums like this..., i can't understand it. How difficult it's to admit Switch is doing amazing and PS4 is doing it too, each on their own terms?.

On topic: People seem to not learn from last year when some people expected 20M sold for Switch, and even more and we are seeing again some predictions of 25-30M this year....Nintendo already said they expect to ship 17'5M this FY and that's what's going to happen. VGC correctly tracked Switch ending 2018 at about 29'5M sold to consumers with almost 3M units on shelves. So let's say Switch sells to consumers 3'5M this year at the end of March (which is the pace VGC is showing). That will put Switch around 33M sold to consumers by March end. So if they reach their target of 17'5M shipped for the FY that will put shipment almost at 35'0-35'5M. That's still 2'0-2'5M units on shelves, and at this period of the year that's a lot. So, maybe they won't reach the goal, or Switch is selling even better than VGC is showing. That's why we should wait first to see official shipment numbers before expecting what Switch is going to do in 2019 and beyond...And expecting Switch to sell from 16M in 2018 to more than 25M in 2019 is almost ridiculous....Let's see first if they can match a pace that take the console to 19-20M first.

DonFerrari said:

COKTOE said:

Wait. So, the PS4 is in it's 6th year?

Someone changed how we count years, so you are only in your 6th year after you enter the 7th.

What changed?  If you had a son born on November 15, 2013 and someone asked you today, "How old is your son?"  Would you answer "My son is 5 years old."  Or, "My son is 6 years old."  If you are calling him 6 years old when his 6th birthday is still 9 months away, then something is wrong.

Around the Network
colafitte said:

I know some of you are trying a new joke, but now seriously, how many consoles (handhelds or home consoles) have sold around 15M finishing its 6th year(2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 6 complete years) at 300$ base price (in case PS4 does that at the end of 2019 which seems more than possible), after already sold almost 100M the year before....?. That's unprecedented. What Switch, 3DS, etc are doing.... is not.

This passive aggresive attitude in forums like this..., i can't understand it. How difficult it's to admit Switch is doing amazing and PS4 is doing it too, each on their own terms?.

On topic: People seem to not learn from last year when some people expected 20M sold for Switch, and even more and we are seeing again some predictions of 25-30M this year....Nintendo already said they expect to ship 17'5M this FY and that's what's going to happen. VGC correctly tracked Switch ending 2018 at about 29'5M sold to consumers with almost 3M units on shelves. So let's say Switch sells to consumers 3'5M this year at the end of March (which is the pace VGC is showing). That will put Switch around 33M sold to consumers by March end. So if they reach their target of 17'5M shipped for the FY that will put shipment almost at 35'0-35'5M. That's still 2'0-2'5M units on shelves, and at this period of the year that's a lot. So, maybe they won't reach the goal, or Switch is selling even better than VGC is showing. That's why we should wait first to see official shipment numbers before expecting what Switch is going to do in 2019 and beyond...And expecting Switch to sell from 16M in 2018 to more than 25M in 2019 is almost ridiculous....Let's see first if they can match a pace that take the console to 19-20M first.

Who hasnt admitted that PS4 & Switch are both doing great? You're taking offense to something that hasnt happened.

We're poking fun at people who keep bringing up age when its irrelevant to the discussion.

As for your long paragraph there are a few things that make no sense. This site didnt accurately track 29.5 million, it adjusted to that after shipment info released. And no 2-2.5 million is not alot on shelves for a console that sells 200-250k/week, that is actually pretty standard.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

colafitte said:

That 17.5m is for the fiscal year that ended yesterday.  The predictions for 25-30m is for the fiscal year that started today.

Evilms said:
It should be noted that the PS4 has entered its 6th year, it's impressive for such an old system.

The PS4 Pro entered its third year.

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

Who hasnt admitted that PS4 & Switch are both doing great? You're taking offense to something that hasnt happened.

We're poking fun at people who keep bringing up age when its irrelevant to the discussion.

As for your long paragraph there are a few things that make no sense. This site didnt accurately track 29.5 million, it adjusted to that after shipment info released. And no 2-2.5 million is not alot on shelves for a console that sells 200-250k/week, that is actually pretty standard.

I still think there's a lot of passive agressiveness in these forums that it's not needed. I think most people, not only about this topic but in other things, in order to defend something they attack what they consider its rival instead of just celebrate what their favorite thing is doing. Is just a "feeling" i wish it could be lessein this forum. We are a small group and we know most of each other at this time. Some prefer a console or another and base their opinion on that, and some others just give their honest opinion. In my case i did not take anything personal to be clear, i barely posted anything recently, but i wish we could just talk with respect, nothing else.

Why is not relevant to discuss how much old a console is? Are you the one deciding that?, Why is not relevant to put in perspective PS4 sales in 2019 because of age?? I consider very relevant in my opinion.

For last, they make sense. It was tracked accuarately to below 30M (it showed almost 31M at the end of 2018 before) because it was the right thing to do after Nintendo announced Switch has surpassed 30M sold to consumers at the end of Jan 2019, not because shipment numbers. And yes..., 2'5M on shelves in March is a lot. This is not holiday season. I even had discussions back in January with other posters saying 2'5M could be too much units on shelves for Q3, so imagine in Q4....

Let's see first if Nintendo announces 17'5M shipped for FY18 first...I'm only saying is not a guarantee yet.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
colafitte said:

That 17.5m is for the fiscal year that ended yesterday.  The predictions for 25-30m is for the fiscal year that started today.

Yeah, i understood that. So, to be clear, you were expecting 25-30M units sold or shipped??. Not that i agree with either but just to be clear.