By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Jordan Peele is Unlikely to Cast White Lead: 'I've Seen That Movie'

DonFerrari said:
jason1637 said:
It's obvious that you don't wanna try to understand the situation. The company scenario where you have all the black people as janitors is so different than what Peele is doing.
1. Lead actors in his films will have a backstory/struggles that resonate more with black people so it makes sense to only cast a black lead because they are best for the role.
2. Being an upper management staff member in a company is a role that anyone can take on regardless of race.

It would be more obvious that you don't want to see that I'm not complaining about he making movies with black leads, but that doesn't matter the situation if a director said he would only cast white people going forward media would complain a lot.

True, but if he gave a valid reason, then I would have the same feelings as I do with this one. The media has an agenda to uphold.

Around the Network

EDIT: Should probably not spoil a movie. Even though its 37 years old.

Last edited by KLXVER - on 27 March 2019

I'm not all that upset, as like others have said, it's one guy and there are no shortage of people writing from a white perspective, but I resent the idea that anyone could possibly have heard every white story before. It's not his casting choices that bothers me, or even his reasoning, so much as the way he frames that reasoning. All he had to say was "there are a lot more stories to be told from non-white perspectives that haven't been told yet and that's my focus right now." Instead he claims that any story that could be told from a white perspective is something he's "seen before". That's so dismissive it's just...nasty. Like, it's not a threat to me in any way, but it's still just a nasty thing to say when you really think about it. White people have nothing left to add to society, no more stories to tell. If you're white, he's got your whole story figured out. He's heard it before, so don't bother telling him. That's what that statement says. And I don't think it's all that crazy to suggest that that's a pretty mean thing to say, and furthermore a person's whole experience isn't summed up with a race and a gender, so he's just wrong to think he's seen it all.

90% of actors cast in Hollywood films are white. It's about time other directors and other ethnicities of actors get a freaking chance. 90% of the audience for movies is not white by any means not even in the US.

All he's saying is one group has been way over-represented and we've seen their story told 5000+ different times. And both Us and obviously Get Out still had prominent roles for white people.

How many movie roles do white people need? 95%? 97%? 98%? 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 27 March 2019

I've seen a movie with a white female superhero in it with Wonderwoman so there was no reason for Disney/Marvel to release Captain Marvel right? oh... wait it's gonna make them well over a billion dollars? Well shucks, it seems it's possible to tell decent stories regardless of the casting of a colour and gender that's already had a movie.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
jason1637 said:
It's obvious that you don't wanna try to understand the situation. The company scenario where you have all the black people as janitors is so different than what Peele is doing.
1. Lead actors in his films will have a backstory/struggles that resonate more with black people so it makes sense to only cast a black lead because they are best for the role.
2. Being an upper management staff member in a company is a role that anyone can take on regardless of race.

It would be more obvious that you don't want to see that I'm not complaining about he making movies with black leads, but that doesn't matter the situation if a director said he would only cast white people going forward media would complain a lot.

The most justifications created more it shows that it would be considered racism (and not even saying that there isn't plenty of directors in the past and present that wouldn't cast a black person out of prejudice, but if they were open about not wanting they would be heavily criticized).

I mean.... no shit media would complain a lot? A vast majority of movies have white leads. So it makes zero sense for someone to say they're tired of seeing movies without white lead actors, because they are by far the majority. You understand this, yes? Why be upset about a supposed double standard, when applying the most basic of logic shows that it's not really a double standard at all?

Minorities can get away with saying more stuff, because they're minorities. It's always been this way and it will always be this way. Someone put it perfectly above when they mentioned White History Month. You're totally the bitter dude wondering why there's no White History Month and why there's no white version of BET.

White directors don't need to say "I'm not going to cast a black person as a lead" because they already practice it for years. They don't need to say it. Hell I read tons of fantasy books which is dominated by white males and I bet you can guess who the main characters always are. There's nothing wrong with this. I'm also seeing people connect his comments with this so called "black privilege" rhetoric going around twitter.....ugh.

What he says makes sense. Changing the characters' cultural background and ethnicity can make a big difference in a story. I imagine this is why certain people have issues with changing the genders and race of characters when it comes to adaptations of their favorite media.

Poor wording for a fairly understandable choice in the movie industry

Trunkin said:
What he says makes sense. Changing the characters' cultural background and ethnicity can make a big difference in a story. I imagine this is why certain people have issues with changing the genders and race of characters when it comes to adaptations of their favorite media.

Ethnicity matters if its pertinent to the character(s). For example, Get Out is a dog shit movie but the main character being black was crucial to the awful story. The background of the character wasn't really relevant, so that's secondary.

Frankly, I would respect Jordan Peele more if he simply said his vision had black characters so that's what he casted. If a black guy wants to make movies with black people, I don't see that as racist by any means. Frankly, that might be all he's capable of OR enjoys creating. He's staying in his lane, that's what he's comfortable with or likes doing. I don't want to force an artist to cater to me, I'm not a progressive cunt.

He didn't need to dismiss all movies with white people as trite. However, he's a douchebag so he says obnoxious things.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)