By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Jordan Peele is Unlikely to Cast White Lead: 'I've Seen That Movie'

HylianSwordsman said:
I'm not all that upset, as like others have said, it's one guy and there are no shortage of people writing from a white perspective, but I resent the idea that anyone could possibly have heard every white story before. It's not his casting choices that bothers me, or even his reasoning, so much as the way he frames that reasoning. All he had to say was "there are a lot more stories to be told from non-white perspectives that haven't been told yet and that's my focus right now." Instead he claims that any story that could be told from a white perspective is something he's "seen before". That's so dismissive it's just...nasty. Like, it's not a threat to me in any way, but it's still just a nasty thing to say when you really think about it. White people have nothing left to add to society, no more stories to tell. If you're white, he's got your whole story figured out. He's heard it before, so don't bother telling him. That's what that statement says. And I don't think it's all that crazy to suggest that that's a pretty mean thing to say, and furthermore a person's whole experience isn't summed up with a race and a gender, so he's just wrong to think he's seen it all.

Lol. Guys we're all too intelligent to hang on this point as if its meant to be taken literally. When he says he's "seen that movie" before he's obviously not saying that all movies with white leads are the same. He's saying they're 98% of hollywood and overly abundant, so why would he contribute towards that when he is one of the few black directors who can secure a budget behind his movies and cast black leads which is uncommon unless your name is Denzel, Will Smith or Kevin Hart.

Even if the movie he's making isn't from a racial perspective it still makes a difference to job opportunities and representation. Lupita probably hasn't offered a lead in a horror film until now because she wouldn't be what many white directors would imagine as a heroine in that genre. Her biggest hollywood break before black panther (where they're forced to cast black people) is voicing an alien in star wars. 

Around the Network

I’ll never understand why this race thing is such a thing in America. I’ve seen the trailer for this movie, you know what I thought? “Wow looks creepy as h*ll.” Not once for even a millisecond did “Hey, these are black people” enter my mind. People are people to me and to pretty much everyone here.

psychicscubadiver said:
On one hand if the stories he wants to tell require a black lead I have no problem with it. Certain stories require certain people as the lead. A historical drama about vikings requires a white lead, for example.

On the other hand this statement sure as hell wouldn't fly if the races were reversed. Plus, the whole 'bland white guy' narrative is reductive and absolute bullshit. This idea that adding 'diversity' automatically makes things better rather than judging a movie on its own merits is pure nonsense. Kill Bill and Alien featured women as action leads and they were brilliant. But we're supposed to applaud a mediocre superhero movie like Captain Marvel purely because the lead is a woman? The idea that Black Panther was the first black superhero to get a major motion picture when Wesley Snipes did it literally twenty years ago with Blade? The whole thing is ridiculous.

Lol, truly the IGN article all over again where people were like "but what if you reverse races!?"

The statement would make zero sense if the races were reversed because there is an infinite amount of films being released with white leads. It'd be like a game dev saying they only want to make FPS' because the genre is so niche in 2019. It'd simply be false. Furthermore if the races were reversed that director would be consciously contributing towards a power dynamic where people of colour struggle in hollywood and are way under representated. That would bring backlash. What Jordan Peele says will do nothing but bring more equality to the industry.

But believe me, many white Directors already believe and act this way. They won't and don't cast POC as leads because they do not see themselves in those POC and they don't see it as commercially viable.

As per usual these threads on VGC just show how unaware many white people are to racial power dynamics in media and when someone tries to even the playing field or acknowledge the fact that its uneven, many white people start to cry about "racism", "segregation" lol

We need a few Jordan Peele in the games industry too

S.Peelman said:
I’ll never understand why this race thing is such a thing in America. I’ve seen the trailer for this movie, you know what I thought? “Wow looks creepy as h*ll.” Not once for even a millisecond did “Hey, these are black people” enter my mind. People are people to me and to pretty much everyone here.

Agree don't get it either.

Just saw the trailer for Get Out and was like wtf is with the stupid things appearing and disappearing, that's been done to death already.

I hope when I watch the movie it will not be all like that in the horror bits.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
DonFerrari said:

yes I did. only situation i read title only is if I think by the title it isn't worth reading or talking about. In threads I mostly will read all comments before or after my post as well, you can check this by seeing to how many different people I reply in threads.

Will you deny that if he had reverse the races on his comment media threatment would be different? And so you don't use a "but black people weren't represented before" we had plenty off purpousely made all black series and movies while rarely you'll see all white for the sake of being all white. And doing ghetto on casting to have only black is basically seggregation and either don't represent most daily situations or represent ghetto view.

Also would you say that if someone made a white only nba or any other sport because most significant players on current league aren't white would be well received?

It would not make sense to reverse it because white people have been over represented while its the opposite for other races.

A white only NBA is a different scenario. Peele never said that he wont hire white people.  There will still be white people in his movies but they just wont be lead actors.

I don't fully think you understand what disproportionately being represented means. A population that makes up the majority; are going to be the ones most represented, that's just logic, that's math. Being overrepresented is when a population that makes up about 13% of the population dominates entire mediums. That's when it's disproportionate. Anyway on the subject of Us, the movie is not about race at all. Did people even watch it?

SpokenTruth said:
thismeintiel said:

I watched several very detailed reviews, so I don't really have to watch it.  It was crap and changed quite a bit from the novel.  The audience thought it was crap, as well, and it flopped horribly.  Nothing really more to say about it.

You ignored the more important 2nd point, I noticed.

Why did you watch a bunch of reviews on it? Oh, and nobody is saying it's great movie. 

And yes, I ignored the second half of your post because we've gone over it several times already.  You don't understand what racism is.  I've tried to teach you before but you don't want to learn.  You want it to be racist because you want to feel that anger and indignity. As for the critics diversity part, you still don't get it. Some fields are hard to get into because they either aren't welcoming or not appealing. Do I really need to describe how those apply to critics?

To those people of privilege and dominance, equality and representation must feel like oppression and racism.

Oh, I know what racism is. The problem is that you want to believe in some ridiculous definition of it where it's all contextual and power based. Which really, in a world where people have equal opportunity (sorry, there are no guaranteed equal outcomes), is just racist. You feel those poor minorities can't make it on their own, so must be boosted up by society and/or the government more than whites, while having a different set of standards to how they act and talk. I just don't buy that BS. Not when we have Asians, another minority, that have basically excelled in every category despite all this supposed continuing racism.  And especially pathetic when you see what the newly freed slaves and their children and grandchildren accomplished when they faced actual racism. 1000x anything we see today. They didn't need to constantly fake hate crimes because they were actually happening.

You don't create equality by having lower standards for one group, while trying to bring the majority group down a few notches. That's racism on both ends.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 28 March 2019

Mr Puggsly said:
Trunkin said:
What he says makes sense. Changing the characters' cultural background and ethnicity can make a big difference in a story. I imagine this is why certain people have issues with changing the genders and race of characters when it comes to adaptations of their favorite media.

Ethnicity matters if its pertinent to the character(s). For example, Get Out is a dog shit movie but the main character being black was crucial to the awful story. The background of the character wasn't really relevant, so that's secondary.

Frankly, I would respect Jordan Peele more if he simply said his vision had black characters so that's what he casted. If a black guy wants to make movies with black people, I don't see that as racist by any means. Frankly, that might be all he's capable of OR enjoys creating. He's staying in his lane, that's what he's comfortable with or likes doing. I don't want to force an artist to cater to me, I'm not a progressive cunt.

He didn't need to dismiss all movies with white people as trite. However, he's a douchebag so he says obnoxious things.

Did he say the bolded? because if that's true, then it looks even worse on his part, since his films borrow heavily (Us especially) from other directors in the horror genre, many of whom are white.

KLXVER said:
DonFerrari said:

It would be more obvious that you don't want to see that I'm not complaining about he making movies with black leads, but that doesn't matter the situation if a director said he would only cast white people going forward media would complain a lot.

True, but if he gave a valid reason, then I would have the same feelings as I do with this one. The media has an agenda to uphold.

Hey as someone said in the thread, if he said "I want to tell stories relating to my childhold/young years as a black kid, and for that I think a black lead would make more sense" that would be totally understandable and not a shred of racism. When he say he won't hire white people for lead roles (which I don't have problem) and media double standard threat it that is the point.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

It would be more obvious that you don't want to see that I'm not complaining about he making movies with black leads, but that doesn't matter the situation if a director said he would only cast white people going forward media would complain a lot.

The most justifications created more it shows that it would be considered racism (and not even saying that there isn't plenty of directors in the past and present that wouldn't cast a black person out of prejudice, but if they were open about not wanting they would be heavily criticized).

I mean.... no shit media would complain a lot? A vast majority of movies have white leads. So it makes zero sense for someone to say they're tired of seeing movies without white lead actors, because they are by far the majority. You understand this, yes? Why be upset about a supposed double standard, when applying the most basic of logic shows that it's not really a double standard at all?

Minorities can get away with saying more stuff, because they're minorities. It's always been this way and it will always be this way. Someone put it perfectly above when they mentioned White History Month. You're totally the bitter dude wondering why there's no White History Month and why there's no white version of BET.

So thanks for recognizing there is a double standard, and seemly you abide by it.

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't know when they think doing more segregation will solve current one or diminish prejudice.

Could you clarify tho 'they' are?
Do you mean fans of film that think this is ok?
Since you made that remark before anyone had replied, no one had established themselves as 'they', so I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

But my thoughts here are that an all-white cast isn't inherently a discrimination problem.
It depends on the film. If you want to make one revolving around the lives of a group of children, it's not discrimination to not cast older people, etc.
I'd say that applies even if your casting decisions are based on appearance and on what you think the majority of the audience prefer.

I don't know the exact kind of films Peele is making, but there is an interest in sub-culture oriented films such as Crazy Rich Asians.
Making an effort to bring those kind of films to life is understandable.

When I say they, I'm saying everyone that thinks about making quotas, new segregation and similar stuff. Same as with again the double standard when we have black people posting hatred against white people (and being applauded). You won't won over "the other side" when you continuously say how much you hate them or that they are the enemy.

I do agree with your point that having all white, all black, all child, all old isn't prejudice by default, as that could be necessary to the story. One could certainly question the motivation to only write or direct stories that have a single group, but that also isn't what I was complaining.

I'm not even complaining that he basically said that all possible stories with white leads have been told (like if skin color would change stories by themselves, even though the examples Rol gave were very good on those were good movies with non-white cast, not sure if we can say that the race was the reason for it though).

My sole point is that when a black director wants to have his vision and follow it, even if it were racist (don't think it is in this case), media embraces. But if same was done by a white director it would be heavily criticized. That is a double standard that helps to divide and segregate. And to retain the high ground they will make claims of "reverse racism doesn't exist", "racism only exist if one race is systematically harmed", etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The problem isn't that it isn't getting any backlash, it's that the opposite would. It's absolutely fine to have preferences when creating or consuming art. And the sooner people get that into their thick skulls the better.

Genres aren't segregated, each stands in its own right together with all other genres. Can't wait until the first Fantasy author is accused of discrimination against Sci-Fi.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.