By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Jordan Peele is Unlikely to Cast White Lead: 'I've Seen That Movie'

lol@the idea its white people mainly complaining about white cinema. Once again showing the disconnect from reality

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
RJTM1991 said:

So you've actually spoken to black people about these issues? For some odd reason, I doubt that. Striking up a conversation with someone, not about anything that actually matters, but representation in movies.

Come on, man.

So many iconic black movies in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s, that helped to break down barriers and showcase black talent. But that doesn't matter because White Liberals decided that Black Cinema only matters now.

Watch the Malcolm X video.

You doubt I talk to them about social issues, race and representation?  Why?  Why would you even doubt that? 

See, this is why I asked if you've ever been to the US. Because perhaps you don't talk to your black populace about those issues in the UK but we do here.  Especially those who lean left.

And where do you get the notion that black representation in movies only matters now?  Or that only white liberals are who decided it's an issue now?  Black Americans have been saying it's a problem for decades.  The problem is most whites didn't listen to them until now.  And it seems if you could have your way, you still wouldn't listen to them.

My way? God. Almighty. There's no point in continuing this nonsense. You have your script and you stick to it.

And you answered your last question.

Good night.

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

Endorsing a nonsensical post while mocking people who took your thread seriously doesn't make you look good.

Is it really nonsensical to point out that the "representation movements" only looks at where they want more and ignores where they are over-represented?

Like inequality gap complains of lack of woman on CEO position but doesn't complain about lack of woman cleaning sewers?

You bring up an excellent point here. Sometimes this gets out of control that it is beyond stupid. I won't mention what company this is but where I lived the local bus company stopped hiring men drivers because they decided they needed 50% of the drivers to be female to appease whoever they wanted to appease.

The problem was their shortsightedness into trying to appear equal rights didn't look at the fact that most women didn't really want to be bus drivers. Instead of looking at past applications to see how many women applied they assumed woman want to diver but were never given the opportunity to drive buses.

So what they did was froze hiring men to be bus drivers for 5 YEARS. Well guess how this turned out? Bugger all women applied, older bus drivers retired and then there was a shortage of bus drivers to service all the routes in the community, so people said well fuck if you can't provide a good service they will travel by car or bike etc.

Then the revenue went down and their solution was to close bus routes. Now there is less bus routes, longer periods between buses.  A bus network that had services every 15mins dropped to every 30mins and half the routes offered.

Ok so I decided to watch Us, mainly because of this thread lol.

As an outsider of the US, i still don't get what half this argument is all about here lol.

When I saw the movie it never really crossed my mind as oh this is a black movie. When I left the cinema I was left scratching my head on what "black story" Jordan Peele is trying to sell, as some claim he is trying to tell them. I then looked at the IMDB rating of it and was confused why it was even rated so high. The movie was disjointed and felt like it was a rush job filming it.

Can someone in America explain to me what the message was supposed to be, without using interpretation to come up with something. Hell I can do that myself. If you want a black story that makes sense Guess who is coming to dinner is a fine example of highlighting the shit black people went through.

To conclude, movies were so much more fun to watch before everything was scrutinised about it on social media about race and skin colour and choice. I guess where I grown up we are lucky in that regard that we never judged characters on their skin tone in movies.

Preditor is a good example when watched for the first time, When Arnie and Carl walk into a room and do the bro shake flexing their muscles the first thought was like shit about to get real and not hmm a white dude and black dude about to do something.

At the end of the day some will find what Jordan Peele said offensive and some will not. Guess what? did he mean to skate on that edge? Bet your ass he did. It get's people talking and more wanting to see wtf his movies are all about and why it is causing such a stir. Hell I wouldn't of watched Us, I didn't even know who he was before this thread lol.

MARKETING 101 - Create hype by getting others to talk about your shit for you

SpokenTruth said:
Cobretti2 said:

You bring up an excellent point here. Sometimes this gets out of control that it is beyond stupid. I won't mention what company this is but where I lived the local bus company stopped hiring men drivers because they decided they needed 50% of the drivers to be female to appease whoever they wanted to appease.

The problem was their shortsightedness into trying to appear equal rights didn't look at the fact that most women didn't really want to be bus drivers. Instead of looking at past applications to see how many women applied they assumed woman want to diver but were never given the opportunity to drive buses.

So what they did was froze hiring men to be bus drivers for 5 YEARS. Well guess how this turned out? Bugger all women applied, older bus drivers retired and then there was a shortage of bus drivers to service all the routes in the community, so people said well fuck if you can't provide a good service they will travel by car or bike etc.

Then the revenue went down and their solution was to close bus routes. Now there is less bus routes, longer periods between buses.  A bus network that had services every 15mins dropped to every 30mins and half the routes offered.

That's not a problem of equality, that's a problem of stupid planning/policy.   You pointed out exactly how they could have foreseen future problems if they'd only looked at past applications to gauge interest.   Further, they could have continued hiring men but used various outreach programs to attract more women to start with.

This sounds like someone wanting to do right but not knowing how.  Diversifying your work force is a great thing but applying it the wrong way is just...stupid.

By the way, I'm guessing they didn't have a women on the management team that came up with that idea.  They would have pointed out the upcoming failure right away.  This just further shows that diversification would have helped them.

The bus company was government owned at the time, when do governments think through a plan? Equality to them means inequality to the other until the balance is fixed. It was a woman in government who made the decision, but I guess this probably happened at a time when equality started to become a hot topic (probably 2007-08 here) and people were over compensating at the start, rather than taking a rational approach as you suggested. Hell she could have just had a grudge against men I don't know.

The only positive now is we are in 2019 and actual feminists are starting to call out the power trip ones who have taken things out of context of what the original fight for equal opportunity meant.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
⚠️⚠️

This place continues to head South. I get that these conversations can get serious, but again, it's gotten out of hand. I'd prefer we not have to start handing out moderations, so if there is a way to either bow out of these more aggressive debates (or turn them around), I'd suggest that.

I say just lock the thread. Give the racists of the board less bait to cling to.