By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Jordan Peele is Unlikely to Cast White Lead: 'I've Seen That Movie'

RJTM1991 said:
KLXVER said:

What are you talking about? Now it has to be big budgeted movies? Many of the movies with black actors from the Wikipedia list are not big budget movies.

I never said that it "has to be" anything. There's usually only so many major releases in a year. You're acting like there's a new one every hour with this "probably thousands" yap.

I don't think you know how many movies are being made each year. Trust me, its more than 15.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
RJTM1991 said:

I never said that it "has to be" anything. There's usually only so many major releases in a year. You're acting like there's a new one every hour with this "probably thousands" yap.

I don't think you know how many movies are being made each year. Trust me, its more than 15.

Never said that either.

"There's usually only so many major releases in a year."

RJTM1991 said:
KLXVER said:

Never said that either.

"There's usually only so many major releases in a year."

Again if you want to only count major movies, its still overwhelmingly movies with white leads. That's not really a problem, but if a director wants to bring more diversity in movies, then that's a good thing. We`re not talking about changing current franchises just to add diversity, but new original movies.

There are 176 movies on that Wikipedia list. 176 out of roughly 5,000 movies featured a predominately Black cast in the last 9 years. But we aren't under-represented?

Name one other horror movie with a Black family...

Think before you speak and the world can be a better place.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

RJTM1991 said:
KLXVER said:

So about 20 movies a year average? Of how many? Thousands probably.

In the mainstream? Nope. There's only, what? Maybe 10-15 big-budget major releases each year?

There's so many black TV shows too. Black music is everywhere.

So this "underrepresented" shit needs to go to bed.

Your willful ignorance needs to 'go to bed'. Holy shit, this is exactly how underrepresented minorities continue to not get representation and remain minorities. 

So, for the sake of argument, and because I love box office numbers, I'm going to go through the list of highes grossing films in America in 2018 and say who/what the leads is/are. 

1 - Black Panther - Black male lead (Cultural touchstone, kind of a big deal.)
2 - Avengers: Infinity War (MANY White male leads including Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Peter Quill, Peter Parker, and so, so many more.) 
3 - The Incredibles 2 (White Male and White Female leads)
4 - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (White male and white female leads)
5 - Aquaman (So many white male leads)
6 - Deadpool 2 (White male lead....but hey I'll give you a female black lead in domino even though she's like tertiary)
7 - The Grinch (Green character played by a white male)
8 - Mission Impossible: Fallout (The whitest of male leads)
9 - Ant-Man and the Wasp (White male and white female leads)
10 - Bohemian Rhapsody (Armenian male lead...still basically white, definitely not black, and the other leads are all white males)
11 - A Star is Born (Super White Male and white female leads)
12 - Solo: A Star Wars Story (White Male and White Female Leads)
13 - Venom (White male lead)
14 - Ralph Breaks the Internet (White male, white female leads)
15 - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Black male lead!)
16 - A Quiet Place (White male and white female lead)
17 - Crazy Rich Asians (Asian Male and Asian female lead)
18 - Mary Poppins Returns (White Female lead, rest of the cast is all white)
19 - Hotel Transylvania (White male lead)
20 - Fantastic Beasts (White male lead, but hey there's SOME racial diveristy in the cast, but all the leads are white males)
21 - Halloween (White female and White Male leads)
22 - The Meg (White male and asian female leads)
23 - Oceans 8 (White Female leads)
24 - Ready Player One (White Male LEads)
25 - Bumblebee (White Female Lead)
26 - Mamma Mia 2 (White female lead)
27 - The Nun (White leads)
28 - Creed II (Black Male lead)
29 - Peter Rabbit (White Male Lead)
30 - The Mule (White Male Lead)
31 - The Equalizer 2 (Black Male Lead)
32 - Rampage (The rock, he is neither man nor coloured, he's the rock)
33 - A Wrinkle in Time (Black Female LEad)
34 - Fifty Shades freed (White Female and Male Leads)

So yeah, bit of a pattern there. 11% of the movies for a population that's ~14% of the US Population...and keep in mind this is 2018 films when it became hip and trendy to support black films for this exact reason. This is post-woke America and it's STILL not fully representative. I do believe this year will be better and I do belive that as time goes on it'll be even more well balanced in accordance to the proper disparity between white, black, hispanic, asian, and other races, but don't dare try to imply that the disparity is imagined. 

Again, this is 2018's top films that made over 100 million in the US...in a year that was FAMOUS for how much support black directors, black casts, and black actors/actresses recieved. IT's still not enough. 

It's such a 'white' thing to be VERY represented well in *Checks* Every movie on this list but Black Panther and still complain that 'the blacks are getting too much attention'. Even the movies that star black males or black females STILL have a huge white male presence. Creed II still had Stallone, Into the Spider Verse had 4/7 spideys as white males with one black male, one white female, and one asian female, and hell, even a movie famous for its mostly black cast and crew still had two VERY prevalent token white boys in Ross and Klaue. 

Please stop being willfully ignorant. Let people have their representation. You're not suddenly going to be missing out on your white male leads just because we got a few more chocolate chips in the dough. the more flavour the better. 

Around the Network

I don't buy the context argument. First of all, every individual has completely different circumstances in life, and (at least in the West) it's 99% determined by other factors than race nowadays. Second of all - Racism is racism.

If A white dude wants to be in a Peele movie, but Peele won't hire him for the role because of the color of his skin, well, that's racist. This is just objectively factual, by the very dictionary defenition of racism.

Now, you might argue there are degrees of it, or Peele might have his legitimate REASONS to act in such a way - and in fact his reasonings actually are somewhat understandable, and I'm not saying Peele actively looking for black leads in his films is wrong by any means - but he's still acting racist if he's excluding people based on skin color.

The thing is, justifying your racism doesn't make you less racist. In fact, that's what MOST racists do, isn't it?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:

and I'm not saying Peele actively looking for black leads in his films is wrong by any means - but he's still acting racist if he's excluding people based on skin color.

How To Contradict Yourself In The Same Sentence 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

and I'm not saying Peele actively looking for black leads in his films is wrong by any means - but he's still acting racist if he's excluding people based on skin color.

How To Contradict Yourself In The Same Sentence 

I fail to see how it's really a contradiction. If people want to excuse Peele acting racist then fine, do that.. And indeed their might be some legitimate reasons for it in this particular case, but all I'm saying is let's at least call it what it is. But some are seemingly trying to redefine the dictionary defenition of the word. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Ah what the hell, I don't care.

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 29 March 2019

Alara317 said:
RJTM1991 said:

In the mainstream? Nope. There's only, what? Maybe 10-15 big-budget major releases each year?

There's so many black TV shows too. Black music is everywhere.

So this "underrepresented" shit needs to go to bed.

Your willful ignorance needs to 'go to bed'. Holy shit, this is exactly how underrepresented minorities continue to not get representation and remain minorities. 

So, for the sake of argument, and because I love box office numbers, I'm going to go through the list of highes grossing films in America in 2018 and say who/what the leads is/are. 

1 - Black Panther - Black male lead (Cultural touchstone, kind of a big deal.)
2 - Avengers: Infinity War (MANY White male leads including Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Peter Quill, Peter Parker, and so, so many more.) 
3 - The Incredibles 2 (White Male and White Female leads)
4 - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (White male and white female leads)
5 - Aquaman (So many white male leads)
6 - Deadpool 2 (White male lead....but hey I'll give you a female black lead in domino even though she's like tertiary)
7 - The Grinch (Green character played by a white male)
8 - Mission Impossible: Fallout (The whitest of male leads)
9 - Ant-Man and the Wasp (White male and white female leads)
10 - Bohemian Rhapsody (Armenian male lead...still basically white, definitely not black, and the other leads are all white males)
11 - A Star is Born (Super White Male and white female leads)
12 - Solo: A Star Wars Story (White Male and White Female Leads)
13 - Venom (White male lead)
14 - Ralph Breaks the Internet (White male, white female leads)
15 - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Black male lead!)
16 - A Quiet Place (White male and white female lead)
17 - Crazy Rich Asians (Asian Male and Asian female lead)
18 - Mary Poppins Returns (White Female lead, rest of the cast is all white)
19 - Hotel Transylvania (White male lead)
20 - Fantastic Beasts (White male lead, but hey there's SOME racial diveristy in the cast, but all the leads are white males)
21 - Halloween (White female and White Male leads)
22 - The Meg (White male and asian female leads)
23 - Oceans 8 (White Female leads)
24 - Ready Player One (White Male LEads)
25 - Bumblebee (White Female Lead)
26 - Mamma Mia 2 (White female lead)
27 - The Nun (White leads)
28 - Creed II (Black Male lead)
29 - Peter Rabbit (White Male Lead)
30 - The Mule (White Male Lead)
31 - The Equalizer 2 (Black Male Lead)
32 - Rampage (The rock, he is neither man nor coloured, he's the rock)
33 - A Wrinkle in Time (Black Female LEad)
34 - Fifty Shades freed (White Female and Male Leads)

So yeah, bit of a pattern there. 11% of the movies for a population that's ~14% of the US Population...and keep in mind this is 2018 films when it became hip and trendy to support black films for this exact reason. This is post-woke America and it's STILL not fully representative. I do believe this year will be better and I do belive that as time goes on it'll be even more well balanced in accordance to the proper disparity between white, black, hispanic, asian, and other races, but don't dare try to imply that the disparity is imagined. 

Again, this is 2018's top films that made over 100 million in the US...in a year that was FAMOUS for how much support black directors, black casts, and black actors/actresses recieved. IT's still not enough. 

It's such a 'white' thing to be VERY represented well in *Checks* Every movie on this list but Black Panther and still complain that 'the blacks are getting too much attention'. Even the movies that star black males or black females STILL have a huge white male presence. Creed II still had Stallone, Into the Spider Verse had 4/7 spideys as white males with one black male, one white female, and one asian female, and hell, even a movie famous for its mostly black cast and crew still had two VERY prevalent token white boys in Ross and Klaue. 

Please stop being willfully ignorant. Let people have their representation. You're not suddenly going to be missing out on your white male leads just because we got a few more chocolate chips in the dough. the more flavour the better. 

I've never once complained about black people in movies. I really don't care about trivial shit like race to be honest. It's a shame that so many people need to see an actor or actress with the same skin color to enjoy something.

But this idea that black people are cowering victims who never get a chance is preposterous. Again, black music is everywhere. There's so many black movies and TV shows. Black sports stars, black history month... just because the mainstream is suddenly paying attention doesn't mean that black people have always been underrepresented or shat on in the past.