By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Runa216 said:

You know what I think is a major crux of what I find annoying about the entire Republican/Conservative parties? This idea that they want all the rights and freedoms but none of the responsibilities or expectations that come with them. They want guns but don't want gun control because their sense of utter and unfettered freedom means more to them than the benefits that could come from being stricter with the laws. they want freedom of religion but ONLY their religion. they want freedom of speech but don't care how much that speech can actively harm people. they want to be free from taxes and having to pitch in to the greater good but tend to be super bitchy when the gubmint doesn't keep their roads clean or their schools funded.

They want all the freedom from the government, but don't want to do any of the things that make society work as well as it does. they want the world but are not willing to help others. Their freedoms matter to them more than public health and safety or the unified benefit of everyone. and yeah, insert mask allegory here.

They also want freedom of speech only for THEIR speech, as evidenced by Ron DeSantis's sweeping retaliations against Disney.

That leads to another point. They only want to limit the power of the federal government. They are okay with the individual states wielding terrifying amounts of power over an individual's freedoms (again, in the ways they approve of - see their reactions to the attempts of blue states to mitigate the pandemic). When the Constitution was written, the Bill of Rights only applied to the federal government, not the states, on the grounds that the states had their own constitutions. That meant the states were perfectly free to restrict speech and property rights as the state government saw fit, and against whoever the state government saw fit, regardless of the rationale. States could practically run themselves as tinpot dictatorships, and a great many of the grosser infringements of civil rights of minorities before and after the Civil War stemmed from the states, not the federal government. It wasn't until the Fourteenth Amendment where any language in the Constitution put any restriction on state power (". . . nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law . . ."), and it wasn't until 1925 that the first case law was established that held that state laws could not violate the Bill of Rights [Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925)]. 

Around the Network

The reaction to the violence against the Pelosis by conservative media and far right politicians shouldn't surprise me at this point, but it does still make my blood curdle a bit:

Complete and utter psychopaths.

The ex-news anchor who is likely to end up becoming my governor laughed about Paul Pelosi being attacked, right after a bunch of evangelicals anointed her with oil at a rally.

No excitement about midterm election night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Looking like no red wave and the lowest shift in a mid-term in 20 years. Glad to see my state (Pennsylvania) going full D in statewide elections. 

Around the Network

I'm cautiously optimistic about my home state of Arizona, even though it's too early to call. I did my part, at least. I got gerrymandered from a solid blue district into what the state GOP thought would be a red district under David Schweikert, and there's a good chance he will be looking for a new job in January as things stand.

Oh, and this might be the death knell for Trump. DeSantis (with Florida doing well for GOP compared to the nationwide current) will probably split the party away from Trump a bit. With a few exceptions, Trump backed candidates lost hard. 

So, who’s going to win?

I’ve heard that the Republicans are trying to get ballots dismissed based on technicalities like dates not written in when the dating is only meant to ensure that the ballots were in on time, even though they can be certified given they were received prior to the election.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

So, who’s going to win?

I’ve heard that the Republicans are trying to get ballots dismissed based on technicalities like dates not written in when the dating is only meant to ensure that the ballots were in on time, even though they can be certified given they were received prior to the election.

Pretty much Democrats. 80-90% chance they'll keep the Senate and maybe pick up another seat. House is tight (still leaning Republican right now though) which is far from the predictions by top Republicans of +40 gains. If the GOP does win the HoR it will be by a few seats probably. Right now Democrats have a 30% chance of winning the HoR, give or take. This isn't typical for midterms, especially in the current economic and geopolitical environment. The last time the party in power had a mid-term this much in their favor was GW Bush's first midterm after 9/11 unified the country. 

Edit: A lot of the flips that the GOP had in the house were due to redistricting/gerrymandering. Democrats unexpectedly flipped a few seats of their own in Ohio and a few other states, so far. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 09 November 2022

Also big loss for Trump.

Most of the candidates he endorsed lost or are losing. Meanwhile the state that did well for the GOP was Florida, where his biggest rival for the 2024 primary is governor. The party and some of his supporters want to distance themselves from Trump. 

Trump was probably hoping for a red wave in which he could announce his campaign for 2024 next week. Now there might be pressure for him to not announce so that the Georgia senate run-off (neither major candidate got 50%; so it's going to runoff) next month doesn't have him as a referendum.