By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Rab said:

Gen Z did it's job by voting for progressive Dem's, this group of 18 to 29 year olds having a 28 point swing to the Dems, give people what they want and they will reward you, they saved the day for the Dems as a whole   

The break down by swing and age

D+28   18-29

This range also includes the youngest millenials. I am 29 years old (born 1993) and a millenial. My middle brother is almost 26 years old and at the cusp between the two generations (born 1996), and my youngest brother (born 2000) is almost 22 years old and Gen Z.

18-29 basically makes up 16% of the U.S population. 

If the 30-44 group were split in half you'd probably see another large divide. 

These bins (and "Generations") are somewhat arbitrary. Would be interesting to see the breakdown by birth year, given that.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Rab said:

Gen Z did it's job by voting for progressive Dem's, this group of 18 to 29 year olds having a 28 point swing to the Dems, give people what they want and they will reward you, they saved the day for the Dems as a whole   

D+28   18-29

This range also includes the youngest millenials. I am 29 years old (born 1993) and a millenial. My middle brother is almost 26 years old and at the cusp between the two generations (born 1996), and my youngest brother (born 2000) is almost 22 years old and Gen Z.

18-29 basically makes up 16% of the U.S population. 

If the 30-44 group were split in half you'd probably see another large divide. 

These bins (and "Generations") are somewhat arbitrary. Would be interesting to see the breakdown by birth year, given that.

There is more to consider than the arbitrary description of Gens, don't get too hung up on it.. 18 to 29 year olds is what I really highlighted 

Last edited by Rab - on 10 November 2022

Rab said:

There is more to consider than the arbitrary description of Gens, don't get too hung up on it.. 18 to 29 year olds is what I really highlighted 

The bolded is my point. The bins make it confusing when you find out only 16% of the population (and 20% of the electorate) fall between 18 and 29. But if you were to expand the bin to 18 to 35 you'd get 25% of the population (and a third of the electorate) and nearly just as Democratic leaning. 

There is also the idea that boomers are pretty right-wing, but when one looks at the data, older boomers are less right-wing than older Gen Xers. It's just that younger boomers are more right-wing than any other group and skews that "boomer" bin to the most right wing.

Looking at the data by birth year helps us find more meaningful bins that aren't necessarily equal by size. 

^ Yeah I don't have numbers that granulated, just used what was available which showed trends of progressive voting because it was the younger voters that swung progressive Dems to victories helping the Dems hold the line this midterm

The Progressive wing of the party did particularly well for the Dems (John Fetterman, Maxwell Frost, Delia Ramirez, Greg Casar, Summer Lee.. all new members to the progressive side), when your policies (universal healthcare, free college tuition, strong environmental policies.. etc) are popular it shouldn't be a shock when you do well with younger voters..

R+ 13 65+

R+11 45-64

D+2 30-44

D+28 18-29

Don’t forget that older Gen X also has the late 80s yuppies. Yuppies are the unscrupulous high-strung sociopathic bullies who are corrupt as fuck. They’re pro-rape culture, pro-moron culture, idolize corporatism, anti-Semitism and racism (unless they know the person), and have incredible disdain for the working class. And while they hate “white trash” (sorry, I’m not really sure the PC term) even more than working class, they tend to share the same political ideologies, and are often the politicians you see running in right-wing parties. They’re Frederick the Great types, will act homophobic and like they support religion while secretly laughing at people who actually believe in religion and dabbling in homosexuality (sorry if this rubs some the wrong way, Bret Easton Ellis is my major source on this, and he’s the major writer about yuppie culture - also, I’m not trying to say homosexuality is a corruption, merely that yuppies are often homosexual/bisexual/or that “Yale thing” sorts, but signal as homophobic).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Don’t forget that older Gen X also has the late 80s yuppies. Yuppies are the unscrupulous high-strung sociopathic bullies who are corrupt as fuck. They’re pro-rape culture, pro-moron culture, idolize corporatism, anti-Semitism and racism (unless they know the person), and have incredible disdain for the working class. And while they hate “white trash” (sorry, I’m not really sure the PC term) even more than working class, they tend to share the same political ideologies, and are often the politicians you see running in right-wing parties. They’re Frederick the Great types, will act homophobic and like they support religion while secretly laughing at people who actually believe in religion and dabbling in homosexuality (sorry if this rubs some the wrong way, Bret Easton Ellis is my major source on this, and he’s the major writer about yuppie culture - also, I’m not trying to say homosexuality is a corruption, merely that yuppies are often homosexual/bisexual/or that “Yale thing” sorts, but signal as homophobic).

First time I heard about this term "yuppies" so did a little research. don't know about late 80's yuppies though as it looks like the term was used from the 60's to early 90's "as a derogatory title for young business people who were considered arrogant". So probably refer more to people born in the 40's to early 70's than the 80's. 

Will there also be a runoff in Nevada when nobody reaches 50% or does this "only" apply to Georgia?

Barozi said:

Will there also be a runoff in Nevada when nobody reaches 50% or does this "only" apply to Georgia?

AFAIK that only happens in Georgia and Lousiana. Some Jim Crow law so Black people won't surprise elect the senator or something.

Barozi said:

Only ten states conduct runoff elections, eight of them in the South. The exceptions are South Dakota and Vermont, and runoffs are only conducted in Vermont if there is a tie between the two front-runners. Runoff elections were conceived as a way to keep the evangelical establishment (which meant white supremacist back when these laws were enacted) in power in Southern states. So the person who gets the most votes in Nevada gets the seat (and Cortez-Masto has narrowed the gap down to a few hundred).

In Alaska and Maine, where they have ranked choice voting, candidates regularly win with less than half. Paul LePage never won a majority on either of his two terms as governor. Mary Peltola, the Democratic front-runner for Alaska's at-large congressional district, holds 46% of the vote, but is benefitting because the Republican vote is split between Sarah Palin and Nick Begich. Thankfully so, because Palin is ahead of Begich, and Palin will hopefully go away forever if she loses this time.

SanAndreasX said:
Barozi said:

Only ten states conduct runoff elections, eight of them in the South. The exceptions are South Dakota and Vermont, and runoffs are only conducted in Vermont if there is a tie between the two front-runners. Runoff elections were conceived as a way to keep the evangelical establishment (which meant white supremacist back when these laws were enacted) in power in Southern states. So the person who gets the most votes in Nevada gets the seat (and Cortez-Masto has narrowed the gap down to a few hundred).

In Alaska and Maine, where they have ranked choice voting, candidates regularly win with less than half. Paul LePage never won a majority on either of his two terms as governor. Mary Peltola, the Democratic front-runner for Alaska's at-large congressional district, holds 46% of the vote, but is benefitting because the Republican vote is split between Sarah Palin and Nick Begich. Thankfully so, because Palin is ahead of Begich, and Palin will hopefully go away forever if she loses this time.

You can't really split the vote if it is ranked choice.  To argue they are splitting the vote you'd also have to argue that everyone that voted for one of them - would have voted for the other.

We know that to be false because of ranked choice voting.  The last run the Belich voters chose Mary over Palin. I think the number was like 30% of them not choosing a second choice. Which means that if they had to choose only one vote and that vote couldn't be belich most of them wouldn't have voted for palin.

You are bound to love Earthbound.