By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

So what was suppose to be a red tsunami turned into.. a small shallow kiddie pool.
Democrats keep the Senate. Infact they may actually GAIN a seat.
Republicans take the house. Just barely.

<edit> the rest of this was cut because wow did I get it all wrong. The numbers aren't finished so I have no clue how many Democrats will have.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 15 November 2022

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

I am not sure its the progressive polices but instead just bad timing by republicans. If SC had waited until after the mid terms to overturn Roe things could have turned out different. Also this crusade that the GOP has with the LGBT community was also probably a factor. Before, GOP kind of just ignored the community but they were actively campaigning against them which probably solidified their base but lost them many more independents. A lot of the races were very close and usually in those situations, independent voters are the ones that swing them one way or the other.

Oh, 100%. This election was not a victory for progressive ideas so much as it was a loss for hyper-conservatives.

TallSilhouette said:

Katie Hobbs beats Kari Lake!

I wanted to wait until more elections were called to start celebrating, and this was a big one. It's deeply concerning how many grifters and fascists were on the ballot this year. Some won in red districts, others came alarmingly close in swing districts, but thankfully those swing districts have remained just sane enough to reject them. With the Senate already a lock I think momentum favors Warnock over Walker in Georgia. Getting rid of Boebert would be the cherry on top but wasn't even on the table initially and if this is how she performs without big funding pushes against her she may not get reelected next time anyway.

It was definitely a nail biter and certainly not all good news (gonna suck if/when we lose the House), but over all I'm feeling a lot better than I expected to about these midterms.

The best part about it? She called just 2 weeks ago McCain and supporters of his style of republican politics total losers. She said "Boy, Arizona has delivered some losers, haven't they?" Guess who's the biggest loser now...

Progressives made some big wins in the midterms expanding their base for the Dems through younger voters who came out in a big way (despite Biden's low approval rating), much of the success (not all, Reps played a roll in their own demise) for Dems was cemented from this faction, a faction dedicated to social justice polices strongly favoured by new and younger voters being the future of the Democratic party, a block that is steadily replacing older "moderate" or right leaning voters 

sundin13 said:
Machiavellian said:

I am not sure its the progressive polices but instead just bad timing by republicans. If SC had waited until after the mid terms to overturn Roe things could have turned out different. Also this crusade that the GOP has with the LGBT community was also probably a factor. Before, GOP kind of just ignored the community but they were actively campaigning against them which probably solidified their base but lost them many more independents. A lot of the races were very close and usually in those situations, independent voters are the ones that swing them one way or the other.

Oh, 100%. This election was not a victory for progressive ideas so much as it was a loss for hyper-conservatives.

i mean, even baby steps are steps. Right? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Tbf, most ppl seemingly expected it. But you still love to see how poorly it went for them.

Last edited by Hiku - on 16 November 2022

Runa216 said:
sundin13 said:

i mean, even baby steps are steps. Right? 

Of course.

I'll also add that this election was also a loss for New York centrist Democrats so I think there is a real argument for the potential of progressive politics to energize the youth vote. I think the main problem with Dems right now is that they are struggling to find a coherent message on a lot of issues. We saw a lot of Dems (again, like those in NY) go the "tough on crime" route and I just don't think that is a winning message. We spent the last decade arguing that policing is flawed. While it is still very much necessary, a message based on "lets just do the same thing we've always done" doesn't work for leftists. But we've also struggled to put forth a clear alternative. I think there is a lot of good, popular policy in the BLM/Defund the Police activism sphere but I don't think anyone has done a good job of selling it to voters.

The big challenge for 2024 will be finding our messaging. We've done a pretty good job at exploiting weaknesses, now we just need to sell our strengths. 

Hiku said:

Tbf, most ppl seemingly expected it. But you still love to see how poorly it went for them.

Reality shot him down like a Russian Cruz missile.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Being the senate is most likely to pass the "Respect for Marriage act" I think this article (linked soon) is a good reason.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/11/vote-on-marriage-equality-senate-gay-rights-win.html?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=traffic&utm_source=article&utm_content=twitter_share

Assuming they are correct in what they say - it sounds like a good bill. I find the technicalities of it annoying. But I see the requirement for them.

If you make a state that is against gay marriage give out a marriage license - that can be ruled unconstitutional However if you get a marriage license in a state that allows gay marriage you ARE allowed to force states to acknowledge and accept it.

But the bill only matters if the Supreme court gets rid of Obergefell.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

For the Dems it was all about the youth vote, they are strongly in favour of Progressive values and are the future of the party and politics in the US