By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Rab said:

The Est Democrats have played their role in the eventual Roe v Wade being overturned through decades of refusal to codify into law this bill when they had the chance 

Maybe the real reason they didn't bother to cement abortion is because as per their present leadership, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Biden follows up by talking about taking action to save lives. He mentions the past and how it was different and how that justifies what he's doing now.

The Republicans (and Supreme Court) are basically using the exact same argument as to RvW and abortion.

What's the point in making sweeping laws and amendments, if the later opposition Gov can just take them away and erase it?

Trump to a degree tries to erase what Obama did. Biden to a degree tries to erase what Trump did. A 2024 Rep win would be erasing Biden's doing's. 

There's little point in attempting to make major change if you can't back it up because the opposition will just reverse or erase it.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 30 June 2022

Around the Network

It’s leaked out that extremely vocal anti-abortion Republican politician Lauren Boebert has had two abortions.

Why is it that the loudest conservative virtue signalers are also the biggest liars and hypocrites? I’ll tell you what I think.

This is like the extraordinarily homophobic father from American Beauty who himself was homosexual. These sorts of hypocrites belong to conservative cultures that make them ashamed of who they are, and are hell bent on their crusade to make sure they can force everyone else to be as miserable as they are. Their constant reaffirmation of their own virtues and wish to impose their views on those don’t agree them comes as a result of envy over the fact that liberated people enjoy the rights they have.

Also, when it comes to right-wing hissy fits over rules about vaccines, masks, and wiping their asses, their hypocrisy is more than apparent.

(I kid you not, there are conservatives who don’t wipe their asses because they think it’s gay to do so)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

(I kid you not, there are conservatives who don’t wipe their asses because they think it’s gay to do so)

As if the near-complete lack of bidets in American soil wasn't bad enough :D

iron_megalith said:

Lemme guess. People assume I support Duterte here? Too bad, we over as soon as he started sucking Xi's dong, started taking loan traps from China, and letting China use our fucking soil for their man made islands in the Scarborough shoal.

It begs the question: How big is Xi’s dong?

This photo will shock you:

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

It’s leaked out that extremely vocal anti-abortion Republican politician Lauren Boebert has had two abortions.

Why is it that the loudest conservative virtue signalers are also the biggest liars and hypocrites? I’ll tell you what I think.

This is like the extraordinarily homophobic father from American Beauty who himself was homosexual. These sorts of hypocrites belong to conservative cultures that make them ashamed of who they are, and are hell bent on their crusade to make sure they can force everyone else to be as miserable as they are. Their constant reaffirmation of their own virtues and wish to impose their views on those don’t agree them comes as a result of envy over the fact that liberated people enjoy the rights they have.

Also, when it comes to right-wing hissy fits over rules about vaccines, masks, and wiping their asses, their hypocrisy is more than apparent.

Tennessee's 4th congressional district, which is very rural and conservative (it represents most of TN south of Nashville), is represented by Republican Scott DesJarlais. He is known to have forced at least one mistress to have had an abortion, and has been involved in sexual relationships with patients and use of drugs.  He claimed to have been "forgiven by Jesus," and he still gets re-elected in landslides every two years. 

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

Biden follows up by talking about taking action to save lives. He mentions the past and how it was different and how that justifies what he's doing now.

The Republicans (and Supreme Court) are basically using the exact same argument as to RvW and abortion.

What's the point in making sweeping laws and amendments, if the later opposition Gov can just take them away and erase it?

Trump to a degree tries to erase what Obama did. Biden to a degree tries to erase what Trump did. A 2024 Rep win would be erasing Biden's doing's. 

There's little point in attempting to make major change if you can't back it up because the opposition will just reverse or erase it.

You need bipartisan support.

Australia would not have been able to successfully enact gun control if it wasn't for a right-wing conservative government enacting such legislation, it had full support from the start from the left... Which meant there was no desire to overturn it, not socially, not at a government level.

But... We also didn't have the gun lobby paying off politicians and making false information.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

You need bipartisan support.

Australia would not have been able to successfully enact gun control if it wasn't for a right-wing conservative government enacting such legislation, it had full support from the start from the left... Which meant there was no desire to overturn it, not socially, not at a government level.

But... We also didn't have the gun lobby paying off politicians and making false information.

You don't need bipartisan support when you can basically just go around it through the courts like with RvW.

The gun lobby in the US don't mean much anymore. Even if they weren't there, it's highly unlikely Republicans would agree to ban guns.

Even if they were crazy enough to throw their support behind it, the gun owners themselves would put a stop to it sooner than later.

What you need in this case, is somewhat of a separation, so everyone can do what they wish for the most part in their own location. 

That's why the US is set up with 50 separate states and a Federal Government that's supposed to be hands off for the most part.

Ironic how there was a shooting on July 4th

ConservagameR said:

You don't need bipartisan support when you can basically just go around it through the courts like with RvW.

Well... You do. Otherwise the courts will constantly flip-flop on issues. A-la. Abortions.

ConservagameR said:

The gun lobby in the US don't mean much anymore. Even if they weren't there, it's highly unlikely Republicans would agree to ban guns.

Republicans don't like their "rights" being eroded... Unless it's a demographic that doesn't conform to their ideas. A-la. Abortions.

The Gun Lobby spends about a quarter of a billion a year advertising and promoting guns... Let alone all the unknown "donations" and "benefits they provide under the table.
They also have a membership system which means it will align it's members with politicians that are pro-guns... They even have a ranking system to rank congress members on how friendly they are towards guns on a scale of A to F.

They also have millions of members.
I wouldn't think of them as insignificant that is for sure.

ConservagameR said:

Even if they were crazy enough to throw their support behind it, the gun owners themselves would put a stop to it sooner than later.

What you need in this case, is somewhat of a separation, so everyone can do what they wish for the most part in their own location. 

That's why the US is set up with 50 separate states and a Federal Government that's supposed to be hands off for the most part.

Nah. Can't have a free-for-all, otherwise it undermines the entire point of a successful gun-control regime.

Remember... Things like Universal Healthcare, Gun Control and other modern-benefits in developed nations have been successful because of the way they were built.
Universal Healthcare in Australia for example is not only cheaper per-capita than the USA, but we get better quality care... Of course the USA "tried" to do something different with Obamacare and that didn't have the intended result... It still baffles the mind on why they would try a different approach on what has already been established and proven to work. It's just silly.

Go with what has been DEMONSTRATED to work successfully and build up from there rather than try and reinvent the wheel, wasting time and money.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Shatts said:

Ironic how there was a shooting on July 4th

Statistically there are about two shootings in the US every day. So the chances of one happening on July 4th were pretty damn high. I wouldn't exactly call that ironic.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.