By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Jaicee said:

Biden is hardly without his faults though. Only a minority of the public approves of his immigration policies, for example, and I particularly object to the White House's attempts to conceal the squalid conditions in our migrant holding facilities; the absolutely packed cages for children and so forth. 

Regarding immigration, I find it difficult to criticize Biden too strongly for his actions. The surge of unaccompanied minors at the border was the result of a compassionate and ethical border policy which largely refused to turn away children without processing their claims. Due to the infrastructure being decimated by Trump and the sudden surge of unaccompanied minors, the system couldn't handle it, but there was really no winning solution here. Either you continue Trump's awful policies or you don't and deal with the surge. I am glad the Biden administration chose the latter. 

Now the question becomes, "how exactly did they deal with it?" I agree that the Administrations PR side of managing this was pretty garbage. They seemed to try to sweep it under the rug, which is not a tactic I agree with. 

But as for their actual actions towards facing this crisis, I have less to complain about. In March, there were about 5750 kids in CBP custody. That is a lot. As of about a week ago, that number is down to 954. Average time is CBP custody has dropped from 133 hours to 28 hours. While there is still more work to do, the situation is largely under control as of now and that is due to the work put in by the Biden Administration.

I agree with most of what you said (and I'm sure you know where our disagreements lie), but since there hasn't been much conversation about these updates, I figured I'd chime in here.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:

Regarding immigration, I find it difficult to criticize Biden too strongly for his actions. The surge of unaccompanied minors at the border was the result of a compassionate and ethical border policy which largely refused to turn away children without processing their claims. Due to the infrastructure being decimated by Trump and the sudden surge of unaccompanied minors, the system couldn't handle it, but there was really no winning solution here. Either you continue Trump's awful policies or you don't and deal with the surge. I am glad the Biden administration chose the latter. 

Now the question becomes, "how exactly did they deal with it?" I agree that the Administrations PR side of managing this was pretty garbage. They seemed to try to sweep it under the rug, which is not a tactic I agree with. 

But as for their actual actions towards facing this crisis, I have less to complain about. In March, there were about 5750 kids in CBP custody. That is a lot. As of about a week ago, that number is down to 954. Average time is CBP custody has dropped from 133 hours to 28 hours. While there is still more work to do, the situation is largely under control as of now and that is due to the work put in by the Biden Administration.

I agree with most of what you said (and I'm sure you know where our disagreements lie), but since there hasn't been much conversation about these updates, I figured I'd chime in here.

Yeah, but did you see him sneeze on Fox?

Marjorie Greene and Lauren Boebert have company. Meet Kentucky representative Mark Samsel, who hits children's testicles for Christ:

The future of the Republican party looks brighter every day. /s

TallSilhouette said:

Marjorie Greene and Lauren Boebert have company. Meet Kentucky representative Mark Samsel, who hits children's testicles for Christ:

The future of the Republican party looks brighter every day. /s

To be fair there are nut cases everywhere and definitely every party.  What I would like to know is would the people who elected this person do so again.

TallSilhouette said:
sundin13 said:

Yeah, but did you see him sneeze on Fox?

Bernie busters did this exact same thing to Elizabeth Warren. So the stupidity is in both of the American cultures. But, I do agree, this sort of thing is mostly on the pro-Republican side.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Some states are pushing to end extra unemployment benefits in the wake of the lower-than-expected job numbers like Montana did.

I mean, eh, I suppose blaming the benefits is a better outcome than outright pushing a "see? Biden doesn't have Trump's magic economy wand" narrative. Not that a single month matters much in the grand scheme of things, mind.

haxxiy said:

Some states are pushing to end extra unemployment benefits in the wake of the lower-than-expected job numbers like Montana did.

I mean, eh, I suppose blaming the benefits is a better outcome than outright pushing a "see? Biden doesn't have Trump's magic economy wand" narrative. Not that a single month matters much in the grand scheme of things, mind.

Well if you think about it, the type of jobs that are having issues finding people are low paying jobs which probably not having any incentive in getting people to fill if the living wage barely if not at all meets their needs.

haxxiy said:

If displaced workers find it more lucrative to remain on unemployment benefits than to take one of the jobs available to them...to me that says a lot more about the quality of jobs that our glorious capitalist class is offering right now than it does about the supposed excessiveness of federal aid. If employers are experiencing a shortage of low-wage, entry-level workers, maybe they should try, you know, incentivizing people to take the jobs they're offering with pay rates and benefits that are actually livable or something. There's a thought!

Last edited by Jaicee - on 09 May 2021

Jaicee said:
haxxiy said:

If displaced workers find it more lucrative to remain on unemployment benefits than to take one of the jobs available to them...to me that says a lot more about the quality of jobs that our glorious capitalist class is offering right now than it does about the supposed excessiveness of federal aid. If employers are experiencing a shortage of low-wage, entry-level workers, maybe they should try, you know, incentivizing people to take the jobs they're offering with pay rates and benefits that are actually livable or something. There's a thought!

Good call, it is not possible that many Americans are lazy and will follow the path of less resistance especially when that path puts more money in their pockets than a decent job would.  We pay a pretty decent wage and we still can't get enough people through the door let alone a large percentage that want to work (let alone work hard) for the wage they are paid.  I'll acknowledge that some of this is just common sense and the latter half anecdotal.  What should be telling is that local governments are willing to cut off Federal money to get people back in their workforce.  I was floored when I found out that Illinois was amongst them in my area. 

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 11 May 2021

Jaicee said:
haxxiy said:

I know, but I feel like this has the potential to hinder rather than help discussing minimum wage, at least until the extra benefits are out and the pandemic more subdued. I mean, there's a need for both reconciliation and appealing to the Senate centrists, so yeah.