By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
sundin13 said:
JWeinCom said:

This is a lesson that people are really slow to learn. Even if a situation is in fact terrible and needs to be changed, but you also have to have a clear idea of what comes next, or the situation can be made worse. Removing barriers to immigration while we already had unsuitable facilities wasn't going to work well. Maybe phasing out the policies over time would have been a better move, although I haven't been following this issue that closely.

I don't think the problem is so much that "Biden removed the barriers to immigration and now look what happened", although a lot of people very much want to convince you that is the case. Biden isn't changing policies in any way which should lead to these drastic increases. It is more an issue on two fronts: One is that it was likely that we would always have an issue this year with the border opening as we get Covid under control and natural disasters in Latin America increasing demand for migration. The second is that it isn't about what Biden has done which is causing issues, it is what he theoretically might do in the future. 

Those two things combined basically made this problem unavoidable. People watching the region have known since far before inauguration that this would be coming, so the only thing that we could really do was be ready for it. We still weren't but like I said, I think calling Biden the problem here just doesn't make much sense.

I'm probably not going to reply further until if and when I have researched more. 

Around the Network

Wanted to refrain from posting in this thread again after someone banned me last year for taking my words out of context. But seeing how things have been going, I can't help myself.

I am really having fun with these skyrocketing gas prices and a 100 times worse border crisis. We're just barely 4 months in and we're getting a lot of juicy developments. I mean who ever could have seen BLM getting dropped like a brick by this administration and Ted Wheeler going publicly to announce his war on Antifa. Hey at least we got Trump out of the office. Thank to Biden vaccines are out, right?

As once being an immigrant that moved to this country legally for a better future and a more fair system, I can finally say it was a good idea that I saved up and resisted the urge to get a "permanent" property. This will greatly help when I leave this country whenever an opportunity arises. Shit's gonna be such a hassle to liquidate. Every country has its shares of problems but I'm sick of this country's shit. The political theatrics in this country is worse than my third world shithole home country and the corruption is almost on par at this point. Nothing gets done and instead regresses for the worse. Only band aid solutions and nothing more. I for one am amused and scared at the nearly propaganda levels of praise for the government handing out a fucking high interest loan that will bite everyone in the ass in the future.

Oh well. Carry on folks. Just wanted to vent that out.

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 23 March 2021

iron_megalith said:

Wanted to refrain from posting in this thread again after someone banned me last year for taking my words out of context. But seeing how things have been going, I can't help myself.

I am really having fun with these skyrocketing gas prices and a 100 times worse border crisis. We're just barely 4 months in and we're getting a lot of juicy developments. I mean who ever could have seen BLM getting dropped like a brick by this administration and Ted Wheeler going publicly to announce his war on Antifa. Hey at least we got Trump out of the office. Thank to Biden vaccines are out, right?

As once being an immigrant that moved to this country legally for a better future and a more fair system, I can finally say it was a good idea that I saved up and resisted the urge to get a "permanent" property. This will greatly help when I leave this country whenever an opportunity arises. Shit's gonna be such a hassle to liquidate. Every country has its shares of problems but I'm sick of this country's shit. The political theatrics in this country is worse than my third world shithole home country and the corruption is almost on par at this point. Nothing gets done and instead regresses for the worse. Only band aid solutions and nothing more. I for one am amused and scared at the nearly propaganda levels of praise for the government handing out a fucking high interest loan that will bite everyone in the ass in the future.

I am very curious where you think you could move that would be an improvement if that's how much you buy into the conservative mediasphere.

iron_megalith said:

Have fun in your new pursuit of a new home.  Here is a list of some of the best countries to live in just in case you need it.

Best Country to Live in 2021

Who knows, maybe in the distant future, the US can get back to the top 5 but then again, I wonder if we ever were there.  I would have to check.  I am sure we were not there for every race in America.  Anyway, I know many people who lived in the US and moved to another country and are happy.  

iron_megalith said:

I am really having fun with these skyrocketing gas prices [...]

You don't really present any argument, so I'll ask before making assumptions: Are you trying to blame this on Biden? What exactly are you trying to say in your post, because you don't really say much of anything.

Around the Network

Gas prices in the US are the cheapest in the entire Western world and all the (classic) 1st world countries, so the complaints are already pretty silly.
https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

Current gasoline prices (average):

US $0.85
Australia $1.07
Canada $ 1.15
South Korea $1.34
Japan $1.34
Austria $1.44
Germany $1.69
UK $1.74
France $1.80

Also gas prices are "skyrocketing" everywhere so what does that have to do with the US?

iron_megalith said:

I am really having fun with these skyrocketing gas prices.

Skyrocketing gas prices? Where? Are those actually increasing in the US when the national oil reserves are overflowing and nobody knows where to put the oil anymore?

The oil price has been dropping for 2 weeks straight now, so much that the OPEC has now announced they want to reduce oil production to stabilize the price again.

Machiavellian said:

Who knows, maybe in the distant future, the US can get back to the top 5 but then again, I wonder if we ever were there.  I would have to check.  I am sure we were not there for every race in America.  Anyway, I know many people who lived in the US and moved to another country and are happy.  

Quite possibly before the 1970's, but certainly not since the 80's anymore.

iron_megalith said:

Four months into what exactly?

If you mean Biden's presidency, we are about 2 months in. If for some bizarre reason you were counting from election day, and giving Biden responsibility for things that happened before he was sworn in, then we're not "barely" 4 months in, but way closer to 5, so that can't be it.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by four months ago, unless you started counting from Ariana Grande's engagement announcement (which seems odd, but it is more plausible, since that at least was four months ago). This kind of makes one wonder how grounded in facts your opinions are.

Between November 22, 2020 and January 21 2021 gas prices rose by about 35 cents. From Biden's inauguration until today, they have risen by about 34 cents. If you assume the party that controls the presidency is directly responsible for worldwide gas prices (which is at best an oversimplification) then the new administration bears no more responsibility than the old one. 

Moreover gas prices have tended to increase somewhere around January basically every year since 2006. Not sure why that is (maybe it is due to winter creating higher demand for oil), but it seems unlikely it has anything to do with who is president, since the pattern has been pretty consistent over the past three administrations. In 2019 for example, from January 20 to March 20, gas prices rose 47 cents. Prices were going up at 1.5 times the speed, and gas was 4 cents more expensive than it is today. Why didn't you leave then?

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/gasoline

Point is the current increase in gas prices (which has already subsided) is not unusual in any way. 5 similar or greater spikes occurred over the course of the Trump administration. I doubt you much noticed or cared. Oil prices fluctuate. That fact that you list this benign event in your opening salvo about why this country has become unlivable in 2 months since Biden took office exposes some pretty deep bias. You're really scraping the bottom of the oil drum here.

TallSilhouette said:
iron_megalith said:

I am very curious where you think you could move that would be an improvement if that's how much you buy into the conservative mediasphere.

Nah. They're not a conservative. They're one of those enlightened centrists who thinks both sides are awful, but curiously only seem to criticize one.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 24 March 2021

the-pi-guy said:

>fucking high interest loan

What? Are you talking about the stimulus bill?  Where were you complaining about the last two stimulus bills? 

Also, isn't the interest rate from the Federal Reserve set at around 0-0.25%? That is about as low as interest can go. That low interest rate is a big part of why we should be spending right now.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
iron_megalith said:

I am really having fun with these skyrocketing gas prices.

Skyrocketing gas prices? Where? Are those actually increasing in the US when the national oil reserves are overflowing and nobody knows where to put the oil anymore?

The oil price has been dropping for 2 weeks straight now, so much that the OPEC has now announced they want to reduce oil production to stabilize the price again.

Machiavellian said:

Quite possibly before the 1970's, but certainly not since the 80's anymore.

Gas prices had been rising in the US until about a week or so ago when they began declining sharply, oil prices have been falling for closer to three weeks. Of course, that's when conservative media stopped covering it, so if that was a person's only source of information, they'd have no idea.