By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Hiku said:
The_Yoda said:

Why the fuck would I want to listen to some never-nude's opinion?   I miss when Arrested Development was on the air.  Perhaps it is because I've only watched it once but I didn't care for how netflix handled it but bless them for trying I suppose.

Spoiler!
Stealth analogy don't tell Sundin. Shhhhh, I kid I kid

Not sure whose opinion you're refering to. Guessing you mean the guy in the video, but either way, it's not the opinion that's intresting, but the facts they present.

For the article, you only need to look at this and consider if this is insane or not.

For the video, the guy in it is repeating stats most of us here have heard a hundred times before.

How U.S. Healthcare Spending Per Capita Compares With Other Countries [Infographic] (forbes.com)

(Note that USA has 0 guaranteed paid vacation days. The 10 is public holidays.)

So rather than asking whose opinion you should listen to, if you want to suggest that any of these stats are false, you can challenge them and show how/why they're false.

Yes I was talking about David Cross from the video.  You must not have seen the series Arrested Development. I was making a joke man.

Around the Network

The_Yoda said:

Very few situations are EXACTLY the same which is what you at least seem to need to be able to accept an analogy.

Again, this is my point. I think we are all intelligent enough to have a conversation about fraud in relation to the unemployment system. We don't need to simplify things with analogies to make points, so lets just say what we want to say instead of having a proxy conversation about something that is kind of like the situation we are discussing. 

The_Yoda said:

A couple of you keep saying I want to stop the aid and do nothing or are under the false assumption that I only now have a problem with constant deficit and waste as a reason to argue against this bill and helping people instead of the waste.  You are wrong and mis-characterize what I am saying.

Let me put it this way and then I will drop it.

There is a big difference between doing nothing and doing something.  There is also a difference between doing something and doing something right.

It is obvious that several of you are in the do something category and I am in the do something right category.  Perhaps I'm just being too idealistic and you guys are being realistic.  If that is the case then that is just sad for all of us.  

As for this bit, I will apologize for mischaracterizing what you were saying, however I will also say that I don't think it is a far stretch to assume that you don't think this bill should have been passed when you are criticizing me for considering it a "win" and going all "think of the children" about it. However, again, that was an assumption of mine that seems to have been incorrect so I will own that. 

I agree with you that we should do something to prevent fraud. On that front, I believe several billion dollars went to states for improving the infrastructure of the unemployment system, which seems to be a solid, state led approach to combatting fraud. I personally favor leading at the Federal level, however unfortunately due to the restrictions of the budget reconciliation process that doesn't seem possible. From what I gather from your posts, you seem to favor small government. As such, I am curious, would you prefer a federal government led approach, or a state led approach to fighting fraud?

sundin13 said:

The_Yoda said:

Very few situations are EXACTLY the same which is what you at least seem to need to be able to accept an analogy.

Again, this is my point. I think we are all intelligent enough to have a conversation about fraud in relation to the unemployment system. We don't need to simplify things with analogies to make points, so lets just say what we want to say instead of having a proxy conversation about something that is kind of like the situation we are discussing. 

The_Yoda said:

A couple of you keep saying I want to stop the aid and do nothing or are under the false assumption that I only now have a problem with constant deficit and waste as a reason to argue against this bill and helping people instead of the waste.  You are wrong and mis-characterize what I am saying.

Let me put it this way and then I will drop it.

There is a big difference between doing nothing and doing something.  There is also a difference between doing something and doing something right.

It is obvious that several of you are in the do something category and I am in the do something right category.  Perhaps I'm just being too idealistic and you guys are being realistic.  If that is the case then that is just sad for all of us.  

As for this bit, I will apologize for mischaracterizing what you were saying, however I will also say that I don't think it is a far stretch to assume that you don't think this bill should have been passed when you are criticizing me for considering it a "win" and going all "think of the children" about it. However, again, that was an assumption of mine that seems to have been incorrect so I will own that. 

I agree with you that we should do something to prevent fraud. On that front, I believe several billion dollars went to states for improving the infrastructure of the unemployment system, which seems to be a solid, state led approach to combatting fraud. I personally favor leading at the Federal level, however unfortunately due to the restrictions of the budget reconciliation process that doesn't seem possible. From what I gather from your posts, you seem to favor small government. As such, I am curious, would you prefer a federal government led approach, or a state led approach to fighting fraud?

I appreciate it. I apologize if I've come off as rude.  

As to your second paragraph I had only heard about 100M that was going to the states to shore up the system (still a staggering amount of money on its own but comparatively speaking perhaps not so much). That said the 100M may have just been one payment and there very well could have been more. 

I would have preferred guidance / intelligence from the federal level with the states ultimately left to do what they felt best to combat their particular issues.  Same thing that should have happened with the whole damn pandemic but they didn't even seem to get that.  The way things went down with states bidding against each other for defibrillators and PPE like we saw during the beginning I wouldn't have minded the FED stepping up and taking charge to get everyone on the same page in acquiring what they needed.  Extreme situation requiring extreme measures type of thing.

Hiku said:
The_Yoda said:

Why the fuck would I want to listen to some never-nude's opinion?   I miss when Arrested Development was on the air.  Perhaps it is because I've only watched it once but I didn't care for how netflix handled it but bless them for trying I suppose.

Spoiler!
Stealth analogy don't tell Sundin. Shhhhh, I kid I kid

Not sure whose opinion you're refering to. Guessing you mean the guy in the video, but either way, it's not the opinion that's intresting, but the facts they present.

For the article, you only need to look at this and consider if this is insane or not.

For the video, the guy in it is repeating stats most of us here have heard a hundred times before.

How U.S. Healthcare Spending Per Capita Compares With Other Countries [Infographic] (forbes.com)

(Note that USA has 0 guaranteed paid vacation days. The 10 is public holidays.)

So rather than asking whose opinion you should listen to, if you want to suggest that any of these stats are false, you can challenge them and show how/why they're false.

Brian Cohen interviews Jen Psaki, interesting discussion, nothing Earth shattering, but valuable insight on the goings on in Washington

Around the Network

American vaccination going relatively well, now. Conservative media can't stand it.

TallSilhouette said:

American vaccination going relatively well, now. Conservative media can't stand it.

Ugh... 

This is a right wing tactic I frequently see, and now I get where it comes from. Strip two situations of any nuance and pretend it's the same.

Biden suggested that we may be able to gather on a holiday if we get more vaccinations and continue efforts to contain the spread of the virus for the next four months and continue the downward trend we're on = Trump suggesting that we will be able to gather on a holiday in three weeks when cases are rising quickly and with no effort no vaccine and no effort at containment.

SeE ThEy sAiD tHe SaMe ThInG wHy iS ThE MaIn StReAm MeDiA So BiAsEd. 

There are fucking smart people behind these shows. But they know that their target audience is either too mentally deficient to properly understand when situations are or are not analogous or check their critical thinking at the door, and they have no qualms about manipulating them.

Edit: Also when posting videos please put a bit about the source in the post so people can decide if it's worth their time/if they want to patronize it with clicks. Not that there's anything objectionable about this source, but just as a rule.

Hiku said:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

And that's before Musk's fortune went through the roof and past Bezos. The Top 3 now together sit at ~$500B compared to ~$350B back then.

TallSilhouette said:

The ignorance and hypocrisy! It burns me! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android