By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The US Politics |OT|

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/30/us/politics/beto-rally.html
Beto will official kick off his campaign today in El Paso, Texas. It's by a part of the border that Trump said he will shut down.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

Trump was at his Trumpiest at a campaign rally (yes, a 2020 presidential campaign rally already) in Michigan yesterday.

If Hillary got in... you'd be doing wind. Windmills. Weeeee.

And if it doesn't blow, you can forget about television for that night.

'Darling, I want to watch television.' 'I'm sorry! The wind isn't blowing.'

I know a lot about wind.

Trump did type that down?

SpokenTruth said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Trump did type that down?

He spoke it.   The sheer ignorance that compels him to believe that you cannot store energy from windmills is staggering.  Worse is that he had the expectation that his rally attendees all have the same mental cognition and would accept his statement as fact.

"I know a lot about wind". That line right there, and how he delivers it, is clearly Trump being Trump. He's joking around. He may understand the cost of wind and how that compares to fossil fuels, but how wind energy actually works, probably not. He's being a smart ass. He knows that he doesn't actually know all that much about wind, and he also knows when he says stuff like, I know a lot about _insert topic here_, that it drives the left mad because they either hate his ego and arrogance or they hate that he's 'lying' because they think he really believes it himself and so does 'much' of his audience. Many know it's just part of the show.

I used to do something similar to my brother all the time when we were young and it would drive him insane when we argued, which was the point. Looking back it was a bit of a dick move because he was a few years younger, so he didn't have the life experience yet, and he's also always been more closed minded, but when he actually had a valid point, or wasn't simply being a pain in the butt for the sake of it, I wouldn't act like that. I partially see the same with Trump. He's getting bashed constantly for little to no reason, rarely heavily justified, and so he's being a dick to drive them nuts as retaliation, hoping they will back down. If they don't, then it's simply fair game as far as he's concerned. Usually this is a last ditch tactic if you can't get through in a politically correct manner.

It has very little to do with what he actually said, and much more to do with Trump trying to prove he's right and his opponents are wrong. He's basically a Gorilla bashing his chest. Trying to get attention and showing everyone who the boss is, because it's a tactic that works if you know what you're doing, for men anyway, especially if you can back it up. It's not so much about what he's saying, it's how he's saying it, and the body language that accompanies it.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

"I know a lot about wind". That line right there, and how he delivers it, is clearly Trump being Trump. He's joking around. He may understand the cost of wind and how that compares to fossil fuels, but how wind energy actually works, probably not. He's being a smart ass. He knows that he doesn't actually know all that much about wind, and he also knows when he says stuff like, I know a lot about _insert topic here_, that it drives the left mad because they either hate his ego and arrogance or they hate that he's 'lying' because they think he really believes it himself and so does 'much' of his audience. Many know it's just part of the show.

I used to do something similar to my brother all the time when we were young and it would drive him insane when we argued, which was the point. Looking back it was a bit of a dick move because he was a few years younger, so he didn't have the life experience yet, and he's also always been more closed minded, but when he actually had a valid point, or wasn't simply being a pain in the butt for the sake of it, I wouldn't act like that. I partially see the same with Trump. He's getting bashed constantly for little to no reason, rarely heavily justified, and so he's being a dick to drive them nuts as retaliation, hoping they will back down. If they don't, then it's simply fair game as far as he's concerned. Usually this is a last ditch tactic if you can't get through in a politically correct manner.

It has very little to do with what he actually said, and much more to do with Trump trying to prove he's right and his opponents are wrong. He's basically a Gorilla bashing his chest. Trying to get attention and showing everyone who the boss is, because it's a tactic that works if you know what you're doing, for men anyway, especially if you can back it up. It's not so much about what he's saying, it's how he's saying it, and the body language that accompanies it.

That's the best April Fools post I've seen all day.

LOL. If a legit post is April fools to you, then I can only assume...

Your answer was perfect actually. Couldn't prove backwards better if I tried.

SpokenTruth said:

Remember that crazy comment Trump made about windmills a few days ago?  Well, he topped it today....

He now claims that the noise from wind turbines causes cancer.  I wish this were an April Fools joke but it's not.  It's actual words from the President of the United States.

"And they say the noise causes cancer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_turbine_syndrome

Wind turbine syndrome and wind farm syndrome are terms for adverse human health effects that have been ascribed to the proximity of wind turbines.[1][2] Proponents have claimed that these effects include death, cancer and congenital abnormality.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
SpokenTruth said:

Remember that crazy comment Trump made about windmills a few days ago?  Well, he topped it today....

He now claims that the noise from wind turbines causes cancer.  I wish this were an April Fools joke but it's not.  It's actual words from the President of the United States.

"And they say the noise causes cancer."

Wind turbine syndrome and wind farm syndrome are terms for adverse human health effects that have been ascribed to the proximity of wind turbines.[1][2] Proponents have claimed that these effects include death, cancer and congenital abnormality.

But those are generally built at least 500m from any housing, so no noise will be heard, rendering this point moot.

CaptainExplosion said:
EricHiggin said:

Sounds like utter bullshit made up to suppress green energy, but since it came out of President Dumpster I'm not suprised.

Well I don't know about the noise itself, but the magnetic field caused by the generator on top of every turbine and transformer at it's base, as well as the substation it all feeds to, can cause cancer. Now you'd basically have to be very close to them and quite often on an ongoing basis, and even then there's no guarantee you would get cancer since they have protection and are grounded, but your chances would certainly increase regardless. The oil used to cool transformers becomes carcinogenic over time as it breaks down. Now unless the transformer is left for long enough that the seals dry up and leak, or it's mishandled and spilled during a swap, then there's nothing to worry about.

Considering the turbines are separated from residential area's and homes by plenty of space, the above risks mentioned are extremely unlikely to cause someone cancer, but it's possible. As for the noise they make causing cancer, I really have no idea, but I have my doubts. Then again, I had no idea something like old broken down oil could cause cancer until I was taught that in safety training, and nobody knew going way back, until they put two an two together and came up with tests and realized it was the old oil.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
EricHiggin said:

But those are generally built at least 500m from any housing, so no noise will be heard, rendering this point moot.

The noise can be heard from that far away. I've worked on plenty of wind farms and worked on many different turbine styles. If you've ever been out in the country on a quiet day you can hear things from a long long way away. There's times on my parents farm where I hear a police or ambulance siren and it literally takes 5 minutes sometimes before they physically pass by. If the wind is blowing in the right direction and the neighbor half a km away is drilling and sawing wood in the garage with the door open, I can hear it. If their dog is barking, regardless of wind direction, I can hear it.

Also, trying to say because you can't hear it means it doesn't affect you is like saying electricity can't hurt you because you can't see or hear it. That's exactly the reason why electricity is so dangerous. Heck, there's times you can get shocked and think you're fine, when really your heartbeat is slightly off because of the shock, and you won't really know it for the most part. Other times, quite rare, it'll be off in a manor that is easily noticeable and you'll need to go to the hospital and get medically shocked back into your regular rhythm.

Just because you can't see or hear something doesn't mean it can't or wont affect you. I'm not saying I believe it's true, I'm just saying I wouldn't totally dismiss it as a possibility.

The NYT put out an interesting video on the relationship between Fox News and Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmHUTNwn7L4&feature=youtu.be

I feel like Fox has got worse ever since Trump became President. Tucker is probably their only prime time host I can stand. Hannity and Ingraham have become government propaganda machines for the Trump admin.

the-pi-guy said:
EricHiggin said:

If only the rest of the first paragraph was read.

"Neither term is recognised by any international disease classification system, nor do they appear in any title or abstract in the United States National Library of Medicine's PubMeddatabase.[5] Wind turbine syndrome has been characterized as pseudoscience."

Pseudoscience doesn't mean it's wrong or false, it just means it hasn't been proven using the scientific method. Science doesn't instantly have a test and answer for everything immediately.

"The distribution of recorded events, however, correlates with media coverage of wind farm syndrome itself, and not with the presence or absence of wind farms."

The media has covered it, and so it must be true then correct? They don't lie, so I'm told.