By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

I have to point out that this "debacle" has been largely positive as it allowed American companies to diversify their supply chains out of China. These tariffs are the reason countries like India are stepping up their manufacturing game, allowing China to monopolize industrial production has been terrible for all countries, not just the USA. 

Why would you want to allow one country to withhold all the manufacturing power of our most used devices? That's a recipe for disaster, the whole world was willingly allowing Beijing to become their sole provider of their most used goods because of greed, something had to be done about it.

Maybe now politicians can use covid19 debacle to take a stand against shutting down factories, even if it meant more expensive goods. Automate everything if you must, but to simply be dependent on China, of all countries, for us to live the life that we know is a recipe for disasters. 

LurkerJ said:
LurkerJ said:

I have to point out that this "debacle" has been largely positive as it allowed American companies to diversify their supply chains out of China. These tariffs are the reason countries like India are stepping up their manufacturing game, allowing China to monopolize industrial production has been terrible for all countries, not just the USA. 

Why would you want to allow one country to withhold all the manufacturing power of our most used devices? That's a recipe for disaster, the whole world was willingly allowing Beijing to become their sole provider of their most used goods because of greed, something had to be done about it.

Maybe now politicians can use covid19 debacle to take a stand against shutting down factories, even if it meant more expensive goods. Automate everything if you must, but to simply be dependent on China, of all countries, for us to live the life that we know is a recipe for disasters. 

You may be okay with that, but the vast majority will choose the cheaper alternative. In other words, choosing not to exploit cheap labor is a death sentence for corporations as their competitors will make use of it.

About the bolded in the first quote: Companies already diversified out of China starting the mid-2000's. With it's growing economic power came higher wages, and for some sectors and companies those just got too high, and started moving elsewhere. India, Indonesia and Brazil got most of those early on, but in the later years several countries in Africa have become more and more interesting, especially Kenia, Ethiopia and Tansania. You can see this very well on their economic growth, and how that growth is shrinking further and further

See how it's shrinking year after year after year since 2010 despite the rest of the world booming after coming out of the recession? That's the effect from companies leaving or divesting from China. And it's even only so high because the country is building entire ghost cities where practically nobody lives. Without all that construction going on China would probably already have been in a recession from all the production leaving the country.

What Trumps tariffs did was only slightly accelerate the trend, not create it. And it failed in it's original goal to bring them back to the US.

https://youtu.be/NAh4uS4f78o

SpokenTruth said:
Beloved Leader: "I have total authority."

We went to war and founded our nation to protect against this kind of political position.

And some people get miffed that I hold him in the same esteem as other self-described totalitarians.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Donald Trump: "I have total authority."

We went to war and founded our nation to protect against this kind of political position.

This was the cover of the Time magazine in 2018:

Looks like they were 2 years early, but they hit it home. Even talks about absolute power on it.

Trump sure loves his 4D chess.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9136515

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:
Trump sure loves his 4D chess.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9136515

You should know by now not to try to play me like that.  I'll bring the receipts, notarized documents, certified letters with the White House Seal emblazoned on them.

Press Briefing Room

April 13, 2020
5:49 P.M. EDT

Go ahead. One more question. Steve, go ahead.

Q There’s a debate over what authority you have to order the country reopened. What authority do you have?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I have the ultimate authority, but we’re going to get into that in a minute. We’re going to just finish this up. We’re going to tell you about other things that we’ve done right.

Q Does that undermine what you’re trying to do?

THE PRESIDENT: No, not at all. Let me just tell you — very simple. I’m going to put it very simply: The President of the United States has the authority to do what the President has the authority to do, which is very powerful. The President of the United States calls the shots.

If we weren’t here for the states, you would have had a problem in this country like you’ve never seen before. We were here to back them up. And we’re backing — and we’ve more than backed them up. We did a job that nobody ever thought was possible. It’s a decision for the President of the United States.

Now, with that being said, we’re going to work with the states because it’s very important. You have local governments, they’re pinpointed. It’s really — you talk about — it’s like a microchip. They are pinpointed. We have local government that hopefully will do a good job. And if they don’t do a good job, I’d step in so fast. But no, they can’t do anything without the approval of the President of the United States.

Q Mr. President, just to clarify your understanding of your authority vis-à-vis governors — just to be very specific: For instance, if a governor issued a stay-at-home order —
THE PRESIDENT: When you say “my authority” — the President’s authority. Not mine, because it’s not me.

Q If I could just ask the question —

THE PRESIDENT: This is — when somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total, and that’s the way it’s got to be.

Q It’s total? Your authority is total?

THE PRESIDENT: It’s total. It’s total.

Q Your authority is total?

THE PRESIDENT: And the governors know that.

Q So if a governor —

THE PRESIDENT: The governors know that. No, you have —

Q If a governor issues a stay-at-home order, you —

THE PRESIDENT: — a couple of bands of — excuse me. Excuse me. You have a couple —

Q Could you rescind that? Could you rescind that order?

THE PRESIDENT: You have a couple of bands of Democrat governors, but they will agree to it. They will agree to it.

Q What if it was a Republican governor?

THE PRESIDENT: But the authority of the President of the United States, having to do with the subject we’re talking about, is total.

If Trump is played chess, I hope you recognize that you are his pawn.

You say that like being a pawn of an champion is a bad thing.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

You say that like being a pawn of an champion is a bad thing.

Wow, Eric.  This is exactly why you're a pawn.

To say nothing of the fact you completely failed to provide any sort of response to the primary point.

There is definitely a game being played though....D-K.  Let me know when you figure that one out.

No response to the primary point because one didn't seem warranted?

Forgive me for failing to understand the point trying to be made.

I am just a lowly pawn after all.

EricHiggin said:
SpokenTruth said:

Wow, Eric.  This is exactly why you're a pawn.

To say nothing of the fact you completely failed to provide any sort of response to the primary point.

There is definitely a game being played though....D-K.  Let me know when you figure that one out.

No response to the primary point because one didn't seem warranted?

Forgive me for failing to understand the point trying to be made.

I am just a lowly pawn after all.

The point is you were wrong about the timing of Trump's explanations. 

"Unless what I've seen was doctored, Trump initially gave a more legitimate response along the lines of 'the President has the power that the Constitution gives them', since he wasn't going to try and explain it all, not that he likely knows everything he can and can't do for sure anyway. Then after being pressed further, he does what he does best, and gives the reporter a ridiculous answer to run with, 'I have absolute power', which becomes the headline while the initial answer is swept under the rug like it never happened. lol."

Trump did not initially give a more legitimate response but actually lead with "I have the ultimate authority" not "the president has the power that the constitution give them".

Are you going to address this or just talk nonsense like usual?