By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51
RaptorChrist said:
I reached a point last night shortly after fighting the Guardian Ape (found a couple more pearls and got another necklace) where I'm overlooking into a cave which what appears to be perhaps the male version of the ape boss?

@John: I was a little confused when you said the "first two deathblows", because the boss that I fought only had two total deathblows total. And are you saying that you beat his second phase on the first try? That's pretty awesome. It took me three tries before even getting to the second phase, and then maybe a dozen or more tries before finally beating him. The longer a fight takes the greater that feeling of adrenaline. When I beat the Ape it was like 10 o'clock at night and my wife yelled at me from downstairs to be quiet like three times during the fight.

So yeah, now I'm in the Ashina Depths. I hope there is a lot more game left, but I can't help but think that I might be closing in on the end of the game soon. I'm going to try and enjoy it a little more sparingly if I can help myself. I may replay through the Souls games again. Usually when I replay through a game there is a good chance that that plan falls apart and I never follow through with it, but a couple years ago I replayed through all the Soulsborne games from start to finish over a three month period of time roughly. Each of tmhe games I thoroughly completed, fighting every single boss. Although come to think of it I still have not played any of the DS3 DLC yet.

Fight it, you'll get a surprise in the second round.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network

It's definitely on my wish list.

What's opencritic? Are we done with metacritc already?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Meta Back to 90.

Critical Hit

""FromSoftware yet again proves that they’re masters of their craft. Every aspect of this game is just so lovingly crafted that any flaw feels like a droplet in an ocean of brilliance. Sekiro is the full package with immensely satisfying combat and an intriguing world to explore and discover. This is probably one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

Score 10/10
https://www.criticalhit.net/review/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-review-ninja-gold-star/

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

I swear sometimes this game is not properly registering my button presses in the heat of battle, and my controller is 100% ok and I´m not pressing the wrong buttons.

JamesGarret said:
I swear sometimes this game is not properly registering my button presses in the heat of battle, and my controller is 100% ok and I´m not pressing the wrong buttons.

I think I know what you are talking about, as I've felt as though the same thing has happened to me at times. What I have noticed is that if you are trying to use a consumable you have to stable and on the ground. I was strafing and my character walked over the teensy-est bump on the ground and it canceled the animation before I could get off a heal.

The way that button presses are buffered is more helpful than it is a hindrance, but it could be better.

The way they have designed it certainly has it's flaws, but it works most of the time. I am an app developer by trade, so things that most people probably don't even notice stick out to me.

Around the Network
JamesGarret said:

you were spamming attack. If you only press attack twice, anticipating a retaliation and THEN press deflect, it'll work, but if you press it that third time - even by accident - it'll nullify your block or not register it. 

You have to be very precise and deliberate in this game. 

John2290 said:
That Apes second phase might not have been fair but it certainly was heart inducing, I was doing a victory lap around my computer chair when my wolf was getting raped and dropped dead, I jumped for the controller so fast and I had so much adrenaline pumping through me that I absolutely recked his first two normal deathblows and as took him down in the second phase while actually shaking from an adrenaline crash. I'd link my YouTube video of it but I'm on android. First game since RE7 that gives me adrenaline boosts, I thought I'd never have that outside of VR again.
Currently fighting big boss after the Ape/Monk fights and been getting my ass handed to me so much that I gave decided to just look up a prayer bead guide and see how much I can level up, I've spent three hours on him now and know his incredible well but I'm sick of getting one shorted. I went for the randomly placed Prayer beads first and some new bosses and I'm now at VIT 17/ attack 7, it's just enough not to get one shorted by my current big boss and I still have 4 prayer beads in the form of ridiculously hard mini bosses out in the world so I can upgrade again.
If you are hesitant to look up a prayer bead guide like I was, don't be, there are two that are litterly impossible to find without the knowledge and one some well hidden enough that you'd only come across them by luck of a camera angle.
Loving this game to bits but I just wish they hadn't went this tough with certain bosses, there is going difficult and then there is this masochism. They could have failed it back even just 10-15 percent and still have on of the hardest games next to some 2d sidescrollers or games with novelty high difficulties.

I know a few people who had no problems finishing all DS games and BB without any help from NPCs and other players, and they share your view on this...I´m still somewhat in the beginning but I´m almost positive I´ll end up agreeing.

Alara317 said:
JamesGarret said:

you were spamming attack. If you only press attack twice, anticipating a retaliation and THEN press deflect, it'll work, but if you press it that third time - even by accident - it'll nullify your block or not register it. 

You have to be very precise and deliberate in this game. 

This is very true, usually depending on the character, you only can get one to 2 hits in.  Finding the rhythm for each enemy type is the key to success.  Some you can just overpower, some you can interrupt their attacks and some you have to let them do their thing then get your hit in then let them do their thing.  So far I have not really struggled in this game but then again for each battle I came into it with what was required for each boss just using the clues the game gives you.

I just beat that fuckin lady butterfly, only had 3 max healing gourds and 0 pellets.Found this damn hag tougher than the vast majority of Souls bosses and she could be your first 'real boss' depending on where you go.I should have been more agressive I was too passive in this fight, just waiting for an opening to counter attack.

Last edited by JamesGarret - on 29 March 2019

Yes. I am GOTY, thank you very much.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.