By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51

Hells yeah, you're the freaking man! I never doubted you if that means anything. I have a hard time understanding the story in FF14 as well sometimes. It helps that you can read the completed quest descriptions to kinda figure out what's going on, but taking several months or years off from the game takes it's toll.

Well, I'm very glad you were able to beat the boss. I'm at Hidden Forest and it's the only way I can progress right now. Every side path up to this point I've explored to the best of my ability, and have beaten every mini boss along the way. Will for sure be playing more of this this weekend.

So you're going to play Yakuza next? I've never played one of those games, so I don't know much about it. Seems like we have similar tastes in games, so maybe I'll check that out.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
@RaptorChris, I've played all the souls borne games, beat Bloodnore up to NG+7, Beat Car is souls 3 up to NG+6 or 7, got up to the last gravelord on Dark souls remastered but fell off it for another game.
I've hav'nt given up on a game since I was a kid and have spent literal weeks and dozens of hours trying to finish boss single boss raids on FF14 with randoms. However the case with Serkerio and my current boss is I have put in 6 hours at least, I know all his moves and have looked up strats and to check if I can reverse my decision to get another boss instead of the one I got regardless I still can only get his health down to 20 percent or so on his first death blow. The odds are stack way too much in the bosses favour as one hit leaves me with 10 percent health. I don't want to give up but it's like slamming my head against a brick wall, I have to realise I am not going to come out of it winning at some point.
Perhaps I'll give it a half hour or so tomorrow but if nothing changes I've got to move on to another game, I'm simply not good enough to beat this boss.
You could go do the boss now If you have unlocked the second Ape boss but it depends on a choice you make whether you'll get my boss or another boss and an ending right there. My boss unlocks the last area of the game, I believe and the other choice gives you two bosses and a credits scene.

I wonder if when all is said and done, the overall opinion among Souls/BB veterans and newcomers alike will be that From went a little overboard with the difficulty of some of these bosses.

RaptorChrist said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Going by this thread, I guess we really do need an easy mode in Souls games!

:P

I've never been a big fan of difficulty options in games. The exception for me are survival horror games, or games that people might play just to experience the story. But for skill-based games, at least for the first time through the game, I generally prefer one difficulty level, and I tend to like it more when it's challenging.

I agree. It's one of the things that I consistently love about the From Software Soulsborne titles. I like a nice hand-tuned defined difficulty experience. 

John2290 said:
Btw, I haven't played FF14 in months. I was spending so much time raiding every week it was effecting my life so I had to stop and since Shadow bringer is going to be a full price game again after spending three hundred on subscriptions and 120 on the last two expansions I can't justify it with so many great games out there, plus I don't have a clue what is going on in the story now, they lost me somewhere in the updates after the last expansion with all the drip feeding.

What made you beat him on the third try? Sheer luck? Or did you finally find a good strategy against him? 

Isn't the Surge kinda like a Souls game? I played their last game, Heroes of the Fallen, and that most definitely was a Soulslike; I enjoyed it. I'm considering playing that when it goes free next week as well.

And my thoughts on the difficulty of this game is that it's pretty similar to the other "Soulsborniro" (sounds like a mexican dish) games. The difference is that in a Souls game, you can grind out levels and become strong enough with enough time to beat most bosses. There doesn't seem to be many options when it comes to "armor/defense" in this game, so mitigating damage can't really be done, and can only really be offset with a larger vitality pool. That and the fact that you take extra damage if you're in the air or are hit from behind and it makes for even weak attacks doing large amounts of damage depending on when and where you get hit. And in addition, as John mentioned there being cheese, there isn't nearly as much of it in this game as the other games in the series. The mechanics seem to have only gotten better with time, and there's no more bosses jumping to their own death, getting stuck in a weird position, and also, you can't summon for help if you get stuck.

I might have more to say about this after fighting some of the late-game bosses, as I'll be there soon.

Around the Network

I would almost always use an NPC summon as it was occasionally quest-related, but on my first time through I don't use co-op for my own boss fights. I do, however, keep the online mode running as the thrill of being invaded has led to some of my most memorable moments (plus the messages on the ground are helpful). Speaking of which, exploring in other Soulsborne games is so much easier as the jump mechanic isn't used too much. The traversal mechanics in Sekiro make the levels very open-ended and sometimes I think I'm going into a secret area but it ends up just being the right way to go. The farther I get the more I worry that I'm missing items.

Man, I feel so far behind. Just beat the shit monkey in the valley and now I have no idea where to go. I presume, since I got the flower, I'm heading back to Kuro?

Alara317 said:
Man, I feel so far behind. Just beat the shit monkey in the valley and now I have no idea where to go. I presume, since I got the flower, I'm heading back to Kuro?

You're not far behind me, so no pressure. But yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. Everyone else seems farther ahead.

My co-worker has been playing this game as well but he is just encountering the kamikaze nightjar for the first time, so he is way behind.

John2290 said:
@RaptorChris, I've played all the souls borne games, beat Bloodnore up to NG+7, Beat Car is souls 3 up to NG+6 or 7, got up to the last gravelord on Dark souls remastered but fell off it for another game.
I've hav'nt given up on a game since I was a kid and have spent literal weeks and dozens of hours trying to finish boss single boss raids on FF14 with randoms. However the case with Serkerio and my current boss is I have put in 6 hours at least, I know all his moves and have looked up strats and to check if I can reverse my decision to get another boss instead of the one I got regardless I still can only get his health down to 20 percent or so on his first death blow. The odds are stack way too much in the bosses favour as one hit leaves me with 10 percent health. I don't want to give up but it's like slamming my head against a brick wall, I have to realise I am not going to come out of it winning at some point.
Perhaps I'll give it a half hour or so tomorrow but if nothing changes I've got to move on to another game, I'm simply not good enough to beat this boss.
You could go do the boss now If you have unlocked the second Ape boss but it depends on a choice you make whether you'll get my boss or another boss and an ending right there. My boss unlocks the last area of the game, I believe and the other choice gives you two bosses and a credits scene.

What is this boss that took you 6hrs, I thought Genichiro is the hardest Ive fought, after him the bosses only took 6-7 tries max for me and thats only the hard ones, and Im at the end stage, at least I think it's the end stage.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

John2290 said:
@Sunstrider Spoilers ahead for anyone else, my rich text replies won't work so spoiler tags in turn won't work.
The boss that took me longer the Genichiro and lost his fun after an hour or two as he was so slow was Owl shinobi Father, when I started I was getting one shorted, couldn't even get him to 50% of the first health bar, I went bavk and finished some mini bosses and grqbbed some prayer beada and was able to withstand his attacks to about ten percent of one shot and every time I started doing well he'd add in a rare attack that would again one shot me so after another two hours or so I went and got more prayer beads and finished up more mini bosses for those as well as latent skills. Last night I spent another two hours and was about to give up when Rapterchris nudged me on to give it another go, I managed him on the third go and it was the first time I had gotten past his first death blow.

The difficulty on this boss, at least for me and besides the one hit kills without levelling up or farming sugars is the slowness, I'm sure plenty of people could take the fight to him and get his posture up but I couldn't after so many attempts of getting the heal rebuff, panic and get a reckt by him. I had to whittle down his health first and I eventually fell into the same method I used on the watch dogs of the old lords in Blood borne by I framing in a dodge last second before his attacks and spinning around his back with that early L1+r1 skill and then a slash and hoping a whirlwind slash gets both it's shots in before he blocks and/or prevents him from jumping back by catching him in the air.

I'm now on the curropted monk part 2 and The owl has broken my will to do this legit and of course the three deathblows, I have read you can take his first two and watched a video on it but I can not replicate then actions needs for the second onr so I'm going to be spending a hour at least on him I'd reckon. I had him down to his last death blow last night after a half hour so he is definitely easier than the other currpmopted monk or perhaps the arena is easier to get distance want bait him into attacks.

If you beat them on your 6th or 7th try good for you man but I absolutely suck balls at this game, every time I boot it up I have to run through my last unlocked area just to warm up and get my fingers loosened up and going rhythmically, there was a guy in mibu village standing alone in the river that is my go to now for a warm up spar. I do hear that the last boss, at least the one that is last if you choose the ending thst opens the last area, fountainhead palace is a four stage death blow boss and the hardest in a souls like game to date, souls vetrens have even needed to cheese it although I hav'nt seen it to avoid smokers, only know it by name.

Yeah he was quite overwhelming the first two tries, but after the the next ones he was quite easy to read compared to my nemesis, took down daddy'o after the 5th try, his actually fast for his build, and as for the True Corrupted Monk, you're right about the first two life pools, he can be taken down without a fight, then the third one is just like the first meeting, so you wouldn't have as much trouble as when you first beat him/her, unless you were really struggling with him/her at the first meeting.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid