By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51
John2290 said:
JamesGarret said:
What are the absolute must have skills to acquire in your opinion?

The breath of life, the Shinobi latent skills for posture and damage on you and enemies, the medical Emma skills and in my opinion the first L1 + R1 slash. And if you are doing stealth a lot Supress presense but their is a consumable as a substitute so I'd prioritize this last. Plenty more to unlock yet for me though. 

I got the mikiri counter, I think it´s a must have though I haven´t gotten my timing right just yet, and unlike Souls and BB I find it very hard to face more than one enemy at once (can still get by with two but three at the same time is out of the question) so stealth is at least for me basically mandatory.

Around the Network

Is the optimal path, difficulty wise, to complete the memory of hirata estate before continuing past the chained ogre?

John2290 said:
JamesGarret said:

I got the mikiri counter, I think it´s a must have though I haven´t gotten my timing right just yet, and unlike Souls and BB I find it very hard to face more than one enemy at once (can still get by with two but three at the same time is out of the question) so stealth is at least for me basically mandatory.

I forgot about that, I got it so early I just see it as a gameplay feature and not an unlockable there is also a latent skill on the Shinobi tree that increases the posture damage it does a real help to some bosses and enemies. 

I went well into the normal path before finishing Hirata estate, I done it more in chunks as I progressed in in other areas, I was well past the first real boss before I was able to finish it but I can't see why it wouldn't be doable earlier just real difficult. It's optional but mandatory for some skil unlocks and other features. 

In the memory of the Hirata estate, did you get to fight a "common" enemy that´s standing on a roof after wall jumping to a hidden area? and he is one very, very tough mf...very fast, blocks your thrust attacks, powerful kicks....died way too many times and barely made a scratch on him.

JamesGarret said:
John2290 said:

I forgot about that, I got it so early I just see it as a gameplay feature and not an unlockable there is also a latent skill on the Shinobi tree that increases the posture damage it does a real help to some bosses and enemies. 

I went well into the normal path before finishing Hirata estate, I done it more in chunks as I progressed in in other areas, I was well past the first real boss before I was able to finish it but I can't see why it wouldn't be doable earlier just real difficult. It's optional but mandatory for some skil unlocks and other features. 

In the memory of the Hirata estate, did you get to fight a "common" enemy that´s standing on a roof after wall jumping to a hidden area? and he is one very, very tough mf...very fast, blocks your thrust attacks, powerful kicks....died way too many times and barely made a scratch on him.

Beat him and you'll get a cool prosthetic in the pagoda, his a really good practice buddy for fast moving enemies, keep at it, deflecting is key and do the Mikiri Counter when he does is unblockable thrust kick.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Sunstrider said:
JamesGarret said:

Beat him and you'll get a cool prosthetic in the pagoda, his a really good practice buddy for fast moving enemies, keep at it, deflecting is key and do the Mikiri Counter when he does is unblockable thrust kick.

it´s all so fast I hadn´t even noticed his kick is a thrust move, my Souls muscle memory is working against me.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Can't reply or quote again but seconded what Sunstrider said assuming you mean the spear mini boss.

@Rapterchris, I take back what I said about having explored well, while I thought I had every area of every place I can find I did not and probably still don't. I went back from start to finish this evening and I found loads of secrets including an NPC, a mini boss and two random Prayer beads as well as loads of items in nooks and crannies I had missed. I bet that for still plenty to find as I came upon a really, really well hidden prayer bead and items completely by accident in a place I never would have found or even thought to look, I'm going to wait until I'm positive I'm in end game and watch a guide to clean up, I checked and they provide a notification to let you stay or go to NG+ so there is no worries about missing anything in the world.

It´s not the spear mini boss, it´s an enemy in a hidden area after him, and now I think the spear mini boss is honestly a joke compared to him

JamesGarret said:
Sunstrider said:

it´s all so fast I hadn´t even noticed his kick is a thrust move, my Souls muscle memory is working against me.

Just try to focus as he has 2 unblockable moves(afaik), a swipe kick(just jump and do a kick counter aka double tap jump) then the thrust kick.

Btw, if you haven't bought it, get the firecracker(my fave tool lol), can help with the fight as well.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

John2290 said:
Oh Lord, Slant Magazine with a 40 on MC. Someone got there ass wooped and got salty cause in no world is this game a 40 or a 2 out of 5. Slant, classy as ever.
    Yep. Slant blows. Just a little snippet from disqus on this topic...

This review reads like it was written by a person who did not finish the game, nor indeed, get very far into it at all. It is extremely vague and non-detailed and simply restates commonly known facts about the game in the most generic way possible. For example, the review says "the items are hardly inventive: axe, spear, flamethrower, shuriken", ignoring the plethora of interesting and unique prosthetics the player unlocks throughout the game, as if those very early items were the only one the reviewer unlocked (or learned about through previews and other reviews).

The notion that there is "little in Sekiro to make it stand out in a vast ocean of releases" is absurd; the game features plenty of gorgeous imagery, beautiful music, smooth responsive gameplay, challenging, dramatic, and epic boss fights, and lots of secrets to discover. It subverts classic Japanese mythology in intriguing ways and features unforgettable locations, enemy designs, and moments.

I challenge the reviewer to do better next time and finish the game they are reviewing, or at least get far enough into it to meet it on its own terms. This review does a disservice to From Software, fans of the series, and Slant as a publication.

P.S. It is a common practice when reviewing games to state whether or not the reviewer finished the game, how many hours they spent on it, etc. This helps readers understand whether the reviewer's knowledge of the game is comprehensive.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 27 March 2019

10/10 from VideoGamer

""The way that the studio builds worlds is not dissimilar to the ferocity of its fighting – blindsiding you with a visual assault before raising its guard to scrutiny, forcing you to wonder. Is this Miyazaki’s most enchanting world? You could argue that falling back on the natural beauty of Japan is cheating; then again, the landscape lends itself particularly well to Sekiro – the plated sweep of a temple roof that starts to resemble armour, and the canes of a bamboo forest, rattling like raised spears. No other developer makes places that feel like this, and you realise what FromSoftware must be to other studios around the world: a shadow that keeps coming back.""

https://www.videogamer.com/reviews/sekiro-review

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Just started to run through it with a invisible to enemies trainer lol upto the bot near start a giant snake in caves

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...