By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/politics/labor-fight-roils-bernie-sanders-campaign-as-workers-demand-the-15-hourly-pay-the-candidate-has-proposed-for-employees-nationwide/2019/07/18/3a6df9f4-a966-11e9-9214-246e594de5d5_story.html?outputType=amp
Sanders staffers want a $15 min wage.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
https://beta.washingtonpost.com/politics/labor-fight-roils-bernie-sanders-campaign-as-workers-demand-the-15-hourly-pay-the-candidate-has-proposed-for-employees-nationwide/2019/07/18/3a6df9f4-a966-11e9-9214-246e594de5d5_story.html?outputType=amp
Sanders staffers want a $15 min wage.

That is a bit misleading. Sanders staffers already have at least $15 minimum for interns. What they want is that it applies to all campaign staffers from all the nominees. Right now, only Sanders, Warren and Castro staffers are unionized.

However, Field organizers are not paid by the hour, but get a fixed 36k yearly salary, regional field directors 48k and statewide field directors 90k yearly. Since Field organizers often work 60 hours a week, that amounts to less than $13 an hours. Hence why Field organizers want an understandable raise. This will probably also push the regional field directors to ask for a raise, as it will annihilate the income difference between them and the Field organizers. Reading further, as expected, they do. 46k for Field organizers and 62.4k for field directors. Additionally to this, for healthcare coverage for everybody who earns less than 60k and $0.58 per mile fuel coverage.

As an European, I can fully agree on the healthcare and fuel coverage. We have them too, and they are helping a great deal. The wages rise up a bit much in just one go in my opinion (In Europe, such a big raise is often cut up into several smaller ones to make it more bearable for the employer), but it's understandable since it's a necessity to keep his 15 dollar per hour pledge.

In any case, the wages of his staff are probably quite a bit higher than for everybody else except maybe Castro and Warren since theirs are also unionized.

jason1637 said:

July 30th Bullock Ryan Hick Delaney Marianne Amy Beto Pete Warren Sanders 
July 31st Tulsi DeBlasio Gillibrand Inslee Booker Bennet Yang Castro Biden Kamala

Biden can't avoid Harris, but at least Ryan hasn't to face off Gabbard again. But it is overall strange. First evening are mostly Sanders and Warren interesting, the rest is a snoozefest. On the second evening are all the people that were interesting in one way or another in the first debate: deBlasio, Tulsi, Gillibrand, Inslee, Castro, Harris and Biden.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 19 July 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
jason1637 said:

July 30th Bullock Ryan Hick Delaney Marianne Amy Beto Pete Warren Sanders 
July 31st Tulsi DeBlasio Gillibrand Inslee Booker Bennet Yang Castro Biden Kamala

Biden can't avoid Harris, but at least Ryan hasn't to face off Gabbard again. But it is overall strange. First evening are mostly Sanders and Warren interesting, the rest is a snoozefest. On the second evening are all the people that were interesting in one way or another in the first debate: deBlasio, Tulsi, Gillibrand, Inslee, Castro, Harris and Biden.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Buttigieg is arguably fifth place after Sanders, Warren, Biden, and Harris, and fundraises like a frontrunner, competing with the big four. He has a hell of a following. O'Rourke's star is fading, but he does have star power. And Williamson is the quirky wildcard. Some people are definitely going to watch that debate just to see what she does. I'd also argue that Inslee wasn't interesting at all in the first round, but if you're going to count him, and count Tulsi, then you should also count Ryan.

I think this is a pretty good lineup, all things considered, though I already know the theme to attack the frontrunners this time, instead of race, will be gender, with a female frontrunner on each night to go after a male frontrunner. They even paired them according to ideology. Warren is the female counterpart to Bernie whether they're on the same stage or not. Harris is commonly regarded as the younger, female option the establishment will choose if Biden falls. It almost looks purposeful. Not saying it is, just that I wouldn't put it past the media, especially CNN, to try to create drama for drama's sake and distract from actual policy discussion.

They'll be working less but still be making the same they were before.

Around the Network

Well here it is: the first poll showing Biden in second place. It's a state-level poll of California voters. Unsurprisingly, the candidate now besting Biden in California is California Senator Kamala Harris.

It's worth taking note of this development in that I believe it's the first time any poll out of any state has shown Biden anywhere other than first place so far.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 21 July 2019

I wen't to a Beto meet and greet @ Tuttles here in NY. He was pretty cool and his hands do move a lot lol.

How is the debate roster determined?

Not an American, but damn please don't let Harris be the nominee.

bowserthedog said:
How is the debate roster determined?

CNN had separated each candidate to one of three tiers based on their polling. They then shuffled randomly each candidate in each tier into one of the debate nights.