By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

morenoingrato said:
Mnementh said:

True, Gabbard is not too much liked by the public. But you had to name Clinton in the same sentence as the opposite. But you know what. The public despises Clinton even more:

https://medium.com/@PollsAndVotes/hillary-clinton-favorability-1993-2019-95ab99c35d49

Are Joe Biden, Barack Obama, Pete, Klobuchar, Harris also unpopular? Is that your proof the establishment is hated?

You're moving goalposts. I never said such a thing. But you claimed the thread is 'yeah Gabbard, boo Clinton'. And I just pointed out that Clinton is a horrible example, as the public actually dislikes her. And you chose the dichotomie between Clinton and Gabbard, not I. If you wanna move the goalpost, then I point out that Warren and Sanders are as much liked as Biden, Mayor Pete and Harris.

But if we move the goalposts back to where they were: you claimed the participants of this thread by wanting to fix the things that are horribly broken is somehow hating princliples of the democratic party. And I denied you that framing. People who want to fix the broken things in politics are very much at the heart of the democratic party.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Havent been keeping up lately but I've seen that Sanders, and Buttigieg are gaining momentum and they both had good debate performances, Yang continues to get snubbed by the media, Warren continues to be a snake but her momentum has slowed down a bit, Gabbard did horrible in the last debate, and Bloomberg has yet ot . enter the race.

Hmmm, find this pretty interesting.. Maybe it sounds a bit nutty and it's probably like 80% chance there's no merit behind it but still, it's pretty gd coincidental. I feel like I mostly dialed back my conspiracy tangent many years ago but still, stuff like this makes me wonder. Especially given this same network that saw fit to give Yang, one of the more interesting candidates, roughly HALF the speaking time of most of the other candidates, even Harris who's basically done at this point. You'll forgive me if it's extremely tough for me to trust these people in any capacity with some of the things they say and do..

It's just weird that the 3 players who you could (in one way or another) consider the anti-establishment candidates get slapped with the red background for the vast majority of their shots. 

Red tends to repel and convey and provoke aggression, negativity in people. Blue tends to be synonymous with warmth, inviting, trustworthy, happiness, etc (somewhat ironic :P).. Then you've also got the weird coincidence of the Russian "Red Scare" in the 50s and Cold War in the 80s, and now people accusing Tulsi of being a "Russian asset" and some even accused Bernie of the same at least back in 2016.. Russian = red, etc...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:

Hmmm, find this pretty interesting.. Maybe it sounds a bit nutty and it's probably like 80% chance there's no merit behind it but still, it's pretty gd coincidental. I feel like I mostly dialed back my conspiracy tangent many years ago but still, stuff like this makes me wonder. Especially given this same network that saw fit to give Yang, one of the more interesting candidates, roughly HALF the speaking time of most of the other candidates, even Harris who's basically done at this point. You'll forgive me if it's extremely tough for me to trust these people in any capacity with some of the things they say and do..

It's just weird that the 3 players who you could (in one way or another) consider the anti-establishment candidates get slapped with the red background for the vast majority of their shots. 

Red tends to repel and convey and provoke aggression, negativity in people. Blue tends to be synonymous with warmth, inviting, trustworthy, happiness, etc (somewhat ironic :P).. Then you've also got the weird coincidence of the Russian "Red Scare" in the 50s and Cold War in the 80s, and now people accusing Tulsi of being a "Russian asset" and some even accused Bernie of the same at least back in 2016.. Russian = red, etc...

I haven't seen the debate, but I doubt that that's what it looked like and this tweet is probably more to push an agenda than anything else. But it's not impossible, I'll have to check myself

Vote Bernie 7f you guys know what's good for the US. Looking outside in, it's such an obvious choice the works is screaming What are you doing, vote for this man. I hope you listen to us outsiders for the sake of the US and the world. We are tired of your middle Eastern wars, Latin American coups and north African + Pakistani drone strikes among other things. We also can't believe you still don't provide universal healthcare and cheap/free university education while being the richest country or 2nd richest whichever it truly is. We also can't believe how oligarchic you are for a democracy

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:
uran10 said:

I'm just gonna point out to you, majority of americans do not like the media and majority of them do not like the clintons... just saying. The reason Trump won was because he was a fake populist cause honestly, people do not like the establishment and they feel let down by them.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/267047/americans-trust-mass-media-edges-down.aspx

Hmh. You're right. Funny though that the main drag down is actually caused by Republicans.

The majority of Americans do see Bill Clinton favorably. I know you don't like polls because you get facts out of Krystal Ball videos, but if the "establishment" was so hated, why is Bernie only polling at 20% vs pretty much everyone else?

Mnementh said:

Nope, that is not the median opinion. Median might be around Sanders or Warren. Most people defending Gabbard from smears in this thread already declared they prefer Sanders or Warren, but still stand against the smear-tactics. But at least as much or even more than the defenders in this thread are attacking Gabbard. So your impression of the thread is slanted or you exaggerating. This doesn't help your point.

Also this is no answer why you started out with declaring this thread is hating democrats and democratic ideals. With such a heavy attack you have to expect backlash, but now you_'re backpedaling and emphasizing progressive credentials. If you're so progressive, why the hard attack on progressives in the first place?

I'm going to call myself a center-left liberal. The "progressive" tag is toxic. It has been taken by red-rose, Bernie-or-Bust, primary-incumbents-at-all-costs people. And yes, I take issue with progressives. At a time when Republicans have become the party of hate, division, no compromise, conspiracy, media-hate, my-way-or-the-high way, it is disheartening see the party of Barack Obama, the man who brought the most ambitious healthcare reform in decades and paid massively for it, follow the same path.

The Republican party has pretty much kicked out anyone who doesn't fall in line with Trump and is 100% with him in all issues. This is what the far-left is trying to make out of the Democratic party. 

Warren, for example, is trying to work within the party to enact change, and that's great. The Sanders coalition is just trying to tear it all down and demonize anyone who isn't with them 100% as "rich neoliberals".

Edit:

Yes, no one would make such a charged statement about Gabbard to avoid backlash, but she is widely despised by elected officials and woefully unpopular with the public. https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/21/tulsi-gabbard-dems-072672

Your opinion is quite the opposite of reality, progressives (which you deem as "far-left") are just trying to fix a broken system that is not working for the majority of Americans and the disenfranchised. We are actively trying to stop our country from going too far right (which it already is btw) and bring it back home to the people rather than to the special interests of the elites, corporations and billionaire class. There are different ways to approach this and that can be seen by how different Warren and Sanders are with regards to policy but that's the basic gist. You're grossly mischaracterizing  progressivism in America today and the reality we're facing. I think your hate for progressives may have blinded you by the different nuances actual progressives have and the reality of where our nation is politically. By your own admission of your stances, you're not really center-left, you're more of a Warren style progressive.

There's a small quote that progressive commentator Michael Brooks brings up a lot and I think it's relevant to your comment regarding hating Democrats and Democratic ideals. It goes "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" I bring this up because this really illustrates the heart of the Democratic party and American culture as a whole. With Republicans, who are more resistant to change, they toe-the-line of their big donors and their leaders more often than not and because of this they're seen as more unified. We, as Democrats, largely throw tradition to the wind and actually dissent and argue with one another with what is the best way to progress. Lately though the vast majority of elected officials in the Democratic party have become increasingly "Republican" and out of touch with the American people and the heart of the Democratic party. They toe-the-line of their big donors and the status quo with minimal actual change. Our system isn't working for people, it's broken and horribly corrupt, being bought and paid for on both sides by major corporations and the super wealthy and well connected to put profits and their needs over the people's needs. The Republicans sure as hell ain't gonna be the party to bring about the change we need, so the Democrats have to pick up the mantle. That's what progressive Democrats are currently doing and pushing for the party as a whole to do. It's a call to come back home, a call to put power back into the hands of the people.

Last edited by tsogud - on 23 November 2019

Bofferbrauer2 said:

I haven't seen the debate, but I doubt that that's what it looked like and this tweet is probably more to push an agenda than anything else. But it's not impossible, I'll have to check myself

In fairness, I didn't see a large chunk of it myself (tough to bear if I'm being honest), but I did watch the vast majority of the Tulsi, Yang, and some of the Bernie stuff. And yes, they were shown w/the red bg for the vast majority of the time I watched. 

------------------------

Anyway, been a long time since I've been here b/c I needed a break. My capsule take on the candidates I support. 

Yang: Actually the strongest yet again (and this despite getting the least airtime by far). He speaks plainly and practically, I love that he actually addressed at least a on basic level men's issues, in being often demonized and attacked which turns them to radicalization and hate groups (much like foreign terrorists). Also love the quote "I initially didn't run for president b/c I'm not insane" haha, and also "I'm not running for president b/c I fantasize about being president." 

Tulsi: Still my overall no. 1 pick and probably always will be, and overall a solid debate. Yet I wish she'd start turning more towards the issues at hand, with forwarding the country as a whole (at least outside of foreign policy which I DO very much agree with). Seems she focuses on negativity and attacking other candidates, which I partly get as she's probably by far the most attacked herself and the Dems have grown this corrupt strain of Neoliberalism which should be called out), but to me at this point she could best combat that and rise above through a message of positivity - of laying out plainly just what her ideals and policies will be and how it will directly benefit Americans, much like Yang excels in doing. I did like her making Pete look like a fool for NOT wanting to meet with our adversaries like Assad (despite even Obama saying he'd go out of his way to do so years earlier). 

To make it clear I don't merely just blindly kiss the ass of Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard without critical thinking or critiques, my negatives regarding them:

Yang - I still don't fully buy how UBI wouldn't ultimately cause a balloon of inflation. Short term if may benefit young and working class people but longer term? Who's to stop corporations from driving up prices and the currency being almost inevitably devalued from all this extra money being printed? I can even somewhat buy the fact that we can afford it as a nation if only we'd dial back the insane funds (TRILLIONS) spent on the military machine (that's where Tulsi comes in), but to me the greater concern is inflation. He needs to really explain the logistics as to how this would function without having longterm negative effects, which I actually think he partially did on the Rogan podcast but he needs to elaborate further, especially on mainstream outlets. And as a bonus: the "MATH" thing is cute, but do we really want a campaign phrase/ad that rides the coattails of Trumps "MAGA" thing? To me that just shows a touch of envy and thus lack of faith in your own brand, that you have to take someone else's brand and spin it to make it your own. 

Tulsi - Again, her campaign rhetoric seems to be taking a big negative turn, and I wish she'd go back to the "aloha" spirit she touts and focus on positive change. You got Harris, you got some jabs in at Mayor Pete. Good. Now, maybe just get in a few jabs about Warren's seemingly pseudo progressivism/Neo Lib ways and leave it at that, move on unless directly attacked. The haters are going to keep irrationally hating. Let them. Shake your head and laugh at them and move on. Focus on how you'd personally better the country and help the people (beyond sending troops home). 

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 23 November 2019

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

I think it's wrong to claim Democratic centrism is a new phenomenon when a plurality of party members were Dixiecrats no more than a few decades ago. The New Deal coalition was more economically to the left than present day Democrats, yes, but way, way more to the right socially. Do remind these were the days when segregation laws were widespread and being homosexual would land you in jail.

In fact the coallition between Dixiecrats, minorities and blue-collar Whites back then was always unstable, and the Democratic majority in the House constantly vetoed any effort to improve civil rights. When you lose both Dixiecrats and now increasingly blue-collar Whites because, to them, to screw minorities is preferrable to economic policies that might actually help you, and replace them with urban voters and college-educated suburbanites, it seems only natural that the party would be more fiscally centrist than it was before.

Not to mention developed countries are getting older and older, so yeah. Except for the ones where minorities and immigrants constitute a significant political force, the conservative parties are there to stay in power for a long, long time, like Japan or Poland.

Lol #BoycottMSNBC is #5 on trending because of how they treat Yang.

:)

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD