By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

More news to trigger VGC:

According to a new national poll by Quinnipiac University, Warren is now supported by 30% of Democratic voters, including fully half of ideological progressives, marking the first time she has reached either threshold in a nationwide poll. In this poll, she is also now the leading candidate among younger voters, and almost three out of four remaining Bernie Sanders supporters are male.

According to new major survey of early state voters (who are likely paying more attention to the race than others are at this stage) concluded recently, Warren leads by an even wider margin in early-voting states than she does overall:

Warren: 31%
Biden: 25%
Sanders: 17%

She's leading by a wide margin in New Hampshire and tied with Biden in Iowa, among other things. Sanders polls as competitive in Iowa, but not in either New Hampshire or South Carolina (the latter being Biden's firewall, it would appear.)

This is the landscape heading into tonight's debate. I expect everyone (including Sanders) accordingly to target Elizabeth Warren, being as she would appear to be the new frontrunner.

Around the Network

Jumpin said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

@Jumpin So what exactly makes my support of Tulsi a "cult of personality" when yours of Warren is not? It's especially curious, given you were likely convinced of Warren's merit by a corporate media who seems to think, act, and talk about highly similar ideals in lockstep while smearing, ignoring, and silencing dissenters, in addition to swaying/influencing the public's views. Hmm THAT sounds a bit cultish to me!

And admittedly my knowledge of Warren is not terribly strong, but from what I've heard of her record matches up more with a Neolib/Neocon than a progressive, and has a knack for saying one thing while doing another. And the fact that she basically has total support of the corporate media certainly rasies an eyebrow for me, as does her choosing to support Hillary vs Bernie in 2016. So you'll excuse me if I struggle with putting my trust in her.

If you knew me, you'd know the "cult of personality" dig is utterly laughable. I use critical thinking about all else with all the facts available to me and never blindly follow anyone. That's why I also somewhat favor Bernie, Yang, (and a number of others who are not currently running for Pres), and even find at least a few traits of Warren favorable. Out of this current pool, there are probably 4-5 candidates I wouldn't mind being the nominee. But that's not good enough I guess?

Not that I need to waste my time defending myself to a stranger on the internet but that accusation of "cult of personality" "and not thinking for myself" bugs me, especially since it's the exact opposite of the way I think and operate. Are you entirely sure that's not projection on your part?

You are literally making up stuff to attack Warren. Either it's due to jealousy that she is winning or for some completely irrational reason. I have no idea what "corporate media" you think I am convinced by, you literally just made all that up.

Your knowledge is not great on Elizabeth Warren? Yeah, no shit. I recommend doing your homework because it's her or Biden that's going to win the primary. And it is almost certainly one of those two will be the next US President-elect.

Your next point, again, is silly; and it's already been pointed out to you earlier in this thread, so , Elizabeth Warren endorsed Hillary Clinton only after she had achieved victory, and so did just about all of the other Democrats at the time. Bernie Sanders did after his campaign concluded as well. It wouldn't make sense for Warren to endorse someone who wasn't going to win.

And on that last point, the one where you play the offended victim, are you new here? What did you think would come out of concern trolling in the politics forum? Did it not enter your head that you might be called out and criticized on it? If it's anything to you, you have my sincere apologies if I come off overly harsh. For one, I am not English so my tone might not translate. For two, I am a fan of heated argument (German thing, I also happen to appreciate good old Norse flyting). I have nothing against you personally, and we'd probably get along great in other threads.

Fair warning: If you're a Warren supporter this post will not make you happy, but here are links, videos, articles etc about Warren, its gonna be long but its time to put a rest to the rumour of her being progressive, or as progressive as bernie.

Sorry but it is not a lie about her taking corporate donations or big Money donations

She's taking any and all donations corporate pacs and all during her senate run where she was unopposed btw, then transferred 10 mil over to her presidential run. Its an accounting trick and its disqualifying. On top of that she said she would take in the general, then said she wouldn't then said she'd let the DNC take it but her campaign wont but the funny thing about that is, the totals are reported as one as the DNC will still give her money aka she's still taking from the big money.

And I'm sorry again because if Warren or Biden get the nomination they will lose to Trump. Biden is already face planting, and no one I know believes a word coming out of Warren's mouth because she seems to be allergic to the truth, is always late to the party and has a lot of shady stuff going on. Trump doesn't need to win over voters, he just needs to point out their flaws and discourage voters from voting cause we're sick of the lesser of 2 evils and if we get that we wont vote.

And Before I go on to her record real quick let's stop by on her most famous lie, being a native american. The one You claim she was just mistaken in. There's in an interview she did in her home a few years back when she was running for senate, where the interviewer asked her if she had photos to prove her native american ancestry and she snapped at him and said "I have lots of photos, lots of them, but they're not for you to see!"

We can then go off of that to when Native americans needed her down in Standing rock, was she there? no. She showed up when it was convenient and it already had media attention. Do you know who was there from pretty much the start? Bernie and Tulsi. Political opportunist.

Anyway Let's go with Political issue #1 for the majority of Americans first. Healthcare

Keep in mind this is 2010, she stated before this that she was in support of it then...

Fast Forward to the run for presidency, she supports it on the debate stage, but calls it a framework on the campaign trail. But sure, super progressive right?

She was a member of the obama administration and this is the one thing that you all love to scream progressive over cause she was one of them in charge of regulating wall street. How did that turn out again cause last I checked they continued to do what they've always done regardless of the cfpb. It was a pretty cover to make it look like they were regulating them, yet somehow they're still in the same position they were in when they helped crash the economy.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2010/09/17/president-obama-names-elizabeth-warren-assistant-president-and-special-a

When it comes to foreign policy she is quite literally extremely close to war criminal Hillary Clinton and her positions are somehow getting worse. On top of that the president is the commander and chief. She would have the most power over our military strength and foreign policy and if that doesn't scare you well you're not paying attention to all the countries we've de-stabilized over the years.

Women's issues while being a lawyer: There was a case where women were suing a company for their breast implants and the company was ordered to pay out some sum of money to the women. They happened to file for bankruptcy and when they were running into issues Warren came to the rescue, not of the women, but of the company.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/dow-breast-implant-case-spotlights-elizabeth-warrens-work-helping-big-corporations-navigate-bankruptcies/2019/07/15/06b0d676-82fc-11e9-95a9-e2c830afe24f_story.html

^ full article

Hyde Amendment:

and here and more examples of her wonderful record:

Oh and let's talk about Billionaire donors real quick. Over 30 of them support Warren, yet I'm somehow to believe that they're afraid of her?

https://nypost.com/2019/10/14/elizabeth-warren-has-a-history-of-collecting-cash-from-billionaires/amp/

(These aren't all I have on her btw, I've just retweeted so many things and not bookmarked enough of them for a post like this, I'll be sure to bookmark anything warren related in the future tho) Now to look at the campaign real quick and their strategy of "being like bernie"

Bernie has an Anti-endorsement page to show how many Billionaires, corporate execs etc have said they don't want him as president and he is proud to say that he doesn't have their support. Warren last week or 2 weeks ago now copies that idea acting as tho its her own original thing.

Bernie printed out the names of each of his donors and put them up on a wall, a Donor wall. Last week she comes out with a Digital version of it.

There's a lot more I can go after but I've been going for a while now already. If you still put her as progressive then that's you. There is enough in her record to disqualify her IMO.

@Jaicee Don't you dare come trying to accuse people of being sexist because we're going after Warren's record. That's an ad hominem. I get that you support her, but if you want to defend her debunk what is being said... if its possible to that is. I don't need to go after Biden, his record from day 1 is hot garbage. Pete and Beto are done. Yang's UBI is trash but he has good ideas and isn't a liar. Bernie is the best person in the race. Like, that "sexist" argument has no place here and I absolutely hate how the moment the left, or more specifically bernie supports start to hit Warren, or Clinton or Harris that this is one of the first arguments thrown out, or a last resort one when there's nothing left to resort to. I'm arguing her Character (proven liar) and her policies here and debunking attempts to sweep them under the rug as lie. You may not like to see it but everything I am posting above is a fact, instead of trying to defend her why don't you go and attempt to push her to the right side of the issues?

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/democratic-debate-october-poll/

Some key takeaways from FiveThirtyEight's Polls:

No one has net negative favorability other than Gabbard. The highest net favorability is Warren's, with my boy Biden not so far behind. There seems to be strong consensus that Biden, Warren, and Sanders can beat Trump. Dead last? Gabbard.

These polls and analyses *were* done by scientists, experts, and journalists though. Doesn't seem those kind of people are very welcome here.

Last edited by Moren - on 15 October 2019

Krystal calling it as it is

morenoingrato said:

These polls and analyses *were* done by scientists, experts, and journalists though. Doesn't seem those kind of people are very welcome here.

Thanks for posting 538, I personally find them usually helpful. Your last sentence (the one I cited) make it sound like the experts decided who can beat Trump or about some absolute favorability. But it is a poll after all, what people think. That is important though, because that has influence about how people decide in the primaries. But it doesn't say anything about which candidate is actually best equipped to battle Trump. Something we will never know until we try out alternative earths, where we can test each candidate.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Harry Reid on Warren with Kyle commentary.

Jaicee said:

If people think they're not sexist, then they ask themselves why it's pretty much only ever the female candidates who are the subjects of controversy and ridicule on this thread.

There is sexism that Warren and the other female candidates have to deal with to be sure. Pointing out problematic things in which a candidate has done (i.e. Warren's Native heritage claim), criticizing their campaign, or their policies is not sexism though. Joe Biden has had his fair share of deserved ridicule in this thread as well, some of which I've contributed. Beyond this thread Sanders gets ridiculed all the time with the media but Warren has been relatively untouched, although I've noticed a lot more unmerited smears of Warren are starting to pop up more frequently.

That being said I didn't really read uran and darthmetalli's convo because tl;dr and it seemed like a circle jerk if I'm being honest. So if they really did say some sexist shit I commend you for pointing that out, that needs to be addressed and I'm glad you did.

morenoingrato said:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/democratic-debate-october-poll/

Some key takeaways from FiveThirtyEight's Polls:

No one has net negative favorability other than Gabbard. The highest net favorability is Warren's, with my boy Biden not so far behind. There seems to be strong consensus that Biden, Warren, and Sanders can beat Trump. Dead last? Gabbard.

I'm just hoping 45 gets impeached or resigns soon so we don't have to worry about the 45 question when deciding our nominee anymore. If that happens I suspect Biden's numbers to drop as he is being propped up by a lot of people that just want to beat 45. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like.

Last edited by tsogud - on 15 October 2019

tsogud said:
Jaicee said:

If people think they're not sexist, then they ask themselves why it's pretty much only ever the female candidates who are the subjects of controversy and ridicule on this thread.

There is sexism that Warren and the other female candidates have to deal with to be sure. Pointing out problematic things in which a candidate has done (i.e. Warren's Native heritage claim), criticizing their campaign, or their policies is not sexism though. Joe Biden has had his fair share of deserved ridicule in this thread as well, some of which I've contributed. Beyond this thread Sanders gets ridiculed all the time with the media but Warren has been relatively untouched, although I've noticed a lot more unmerited smears of Warren are starting to pop up more frequently.

That being said I didn't really read uran and darthmetalli's convo because tl;dr and it seemed like a circle jerk if I'm being honest. So if they really did say some sexist shit I commend you for pointing that out, that needs to be addressed and I'm glad you did.

1) wasn't a circle Jerk. He's a Tulsi supporter I'm a bernie supporter with Tulsi as my 2nd choice. It was a discussion as to why we don't trust warren and why he supports Tulsi as his #1 choice. I have no idea how that could be sexist when if you've read any of my post they always go around 2 things. Policy and Character.

I'm here for one thing only and that is to provide facts into the equation about the candidates. I urge you to read through my discussion with metalli as well, since it was mostly a disagreement / correction of sorts outside of me agreeing with him on Warren.

She's deflecting from Warren's criticism by claiming sexism when every single thing I've posted has been Warren's record of what she's done and has nothing to do with her gender. Not to sound rude, but how are you gonna commend someone for something they claim without reading what they claim is sexist?

Here is exactly what I said to Jaicee about it: Don't you dare come trying to accuse people of being sexist because we're going after Warren's record. That's an ad hominem. I get that you support her, but if you want to defend her debunk what is being said... if its possible to that is. I don't need to go after Biden, his record from day 1 is hot garbage. Pete and Beto are done. Yang's UBI is trash but he has good ideas and isn't a liar. Bernie is the best person in the race. Like, that "sexist" argument has no place here and I absolutely hate how the moment the left, or more specifically bernie supports start to hit Warren, or Clinton or Harris that this is one of the first arguments thrown out, or a last resort one when there's nothing left to resort to. I'm arguing her Character (proven liar) and her policies here and debunking attempts to sweep them under the rug as lie. You may not like to see it but everything I am posting above is a fact, instead of trying to defend her why don't you go and attempt to push her to the right side of the issues?

Last edited by uran10 - on 15 October 2019

uran10 said:
tsogud said:

1) wasn't a circle Jerk. He's a Tulsi supporter I'm a bernie supporter with Tulsi as my 2nd choice. It was a discussion as to why we don't trust warren and why he supports Tulsi as his #1 choice. I have no idea how that could be sexist when if you've read any of my post they always go around 2 things. Policy and Character.

I'm here for one thing only and that is to provide facts into the equation about the candidates. I urge you to read through my discussion with metalli as well, since it was mostly a disagreement / correction of sorts outside of me agreeing with him on Warren.

She's deflecting from Warren's criticism by claiming sexism when every single thing I've posted has been Warren's record of what she's done and has nothing to do with her gender. Not to sound rude, but how are you gonna commend someone for something they claim without reading what they claim is sexist?

Here is exactly what I said to Jaicee about it: Don't you dare come trying to accuse people of being sexist because we're going after Warren's record. That's an ad hominem. I get that you support her, but if you want to defend her debunk what is being said... if its possible to that is. I don't need to go after Biden, his record from day 1 is hot garbage. Pete and Beto are done. Yang's UBI is trash but he has good ideas and isn't a liar. Bernie is the best person in the race. Like, that "sexist" argument has no place here and I absolutely hate how the moment the left, or more specifically bernie supports start to hit Warren, or Clinton or Harris that this is one of the first arguments thrown out, or a last resort one when there's nothing left to resort to. I'm arguing her Character (proven liar) and her policies here and debunking attempts to sweep them under the rug as lie. You may not like to see it but everything I am posting above is a fact, instead of trying to defend her why don't you go and attempt to push her to the right side of the issues?

The reason I chimed in was because I felt Jaicee's claim of sexism was a misjudgment on her part of the criticisms being presented of Warren. I didn't believe anybody was being sexist but I admitted in my post that I could be wrong because I didn't fully read the convo. And so I clarified that if I did miss something that was actually sexist that I support Jaicee's statement.

I'm not a Warren supporter but even with all of the things that I disagree with her on she is still my second choice and I believe she's a good candidate.