By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Steam is a Mess

I don't really understand. Pick a genre or tag you are interested in and sort by user reviews. Nothing but pages of absolute quality. 

Last edited by VGhippy - on 12 March 2019

Around the Network

Your first sentence is hilarious considering Steam's store is one of the most talked about controversies and basically is brought up anytime someone wants to complain about the service (even by people who don't use it).

Steam is a better storefront than any console and allows more customization than any of them and honestly when people complain about it I tend to think they just don't know how to use it. Even without messing with any of the settings these trash games never pop up in the front of the store - it makes me wonder if people are just tired of seeing indies, AA or even AAA games they don't care about, and so they just throw it under the bus with the crap that Steam actually has, even though it isn't deserving of it, thus blowing up the problem. This would make even more sense because Steam's storefront doesn't just focus on the new big things but also some older games as well.

There is no excuse when you can customize your search results to your liking through genre tags, ignore lists, ques and more that you can walk away and say that Steam is crap. And honestly I don't even get why people make such a big deal out of this for Steam but not consoles ... how many people just randomly spend 30 minutes looking for random games? I know I'm going to get a reply saying "Me" but this is really not something common, in fact on consoles it's hard to do it at all because the interface is so slow and you can't customize the results as much. It's like people just don't want to use a search bar or click a few buttons.

That being said Steam could be better, stuff like the rape game shouldn't be on the store, but the store is constantly improving and this is the kind of stuff that's either never talked about or doesn't become a popular topic. Steam has even invited and had Jim at their headquarters iirc and a lot of the lessons they learned they put into the settings for steam ... YEARS AGO - and yet Jim keeps complaining like he doesn't know this. I honestly don't understand why people don't get the appeal of a laissez-faire storefront. It's like people just want the Steam store to be the Playstation store. Stop making nothing controversies into big events, because people buying obvious shovelware (every piece of shovelware on steam is beyond obvious) or having a hard time using a search bar or games slipping through the cracks that no one even knows about until the media talks about it - isn't a real problem, it's a made up one.

I don't see a problem, all mediums consist of 99% trash.

Now 10 years ago Steam really was a mess but in other sense, it was borderline unusable for me. I had gotten The Orange Box physical and it took me hours to actually start playing.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

"I might get a lot of hate with this topic however someone needs to speak up and start telling it how it is. Quality control needs to be a thing, Uplay, Origin, Win10, Battle.net, Epic Games Store, GoG are a thing, gone are the days where Steam had little to no competition, now they have dozens of launchers willing to steal off Steam, and what really bothers me with Valves management.. they are doing nothing about it, they are just sitting back watching as other companies steal games, make games, and rightly avoid putting games on Steam due to Valves lack of effort and image"

Yeah competition is majorly heating up. The pc market is very fragmented these days. STEAM has an ace up their sleeve they refuse to use. They own some major IP. Why not make more AAA games that would be exclusive to STEAM?

Kerotan said:
"I might get a lot of hate with this topic however someone needs to speak up and start telling it how it is. Quality control needs to be a thing, Uplay, Origin, Win10, Battle.net, Epic Games Store, GoG are a thing, gone are the days where Steam had little to no competition, now they have dozens of launchers willing to steal off Steam, and what really bothers me with Valves management.. they are doing nothing about it, they are just sitting back watching as other companies steal games, make games, and rightly avoid putting games on Steam due to Valves lack of effort and image"

Yeah competition is majorly heating up. The pc market is very fragmented these days. STEAM has an ace up their sleeve they refuse to use. They own some major IP. Why not make more AAA games that would be exclusive to STEAM?

Do they still have the potential to make decent AAA games?

I doubt it.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
Kerotan said:

Do they still have the potential to make decent AAA games?

I doubt it.

Right now absolutely not. But "Lord" gaben is a filthy rich and has more money than he needs. Where is his drive to satisfy geners gone? Why not invest a billion and make multiple games from different ips he owns and wow the gaming world again? He could do it if he wanted. 

"It needs to be told", yeah, and Jim needs to be told that he's all for anti-consumer bullshit. So glad I unsubbed that poor excuse for a liar. All these years and he's all for hot-topic clickbait speeches and anti-consumer bullshit, to fuel his career.

Steam gives us the tools to do with what we want on their storefront, while supporting the modding community. No other storefront bothers with any of that, and the only dolts that come back with a counter-point, as the ones completely not interested in said tools or community and would rather we have neither, because they think that's how everything should be run (jog on for those of you who want my world run your way, absolutely jog on).

Wake me up when the competition, every single last one of them, actually bothers to compete in a gentleman's way, and not a spineless moneybags anti-consumer way. I'll wait, with sword in hand (for someone to fall on, because it's been nearly 10 years now since "competition" entered the ring).

Last edited by Chazore - on 12 March 2019

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

... and in China, a bag of rice fell over. In other news, water is wet.

Seriously, Steam has been like that for many years now. There's a reason why I buy my games on GOG instead. The only reason for me to use steam instead would be the workshop, of which GOG has no similar function yet. Besides, most games I have on Steam, I also have them now on GOG through GOG connect.

I saw the writing on the wall and didn't even use Steam until I had to 2012 due to Kickstarter (I was using GOG, GamersGate and Impulse back then Gamersgate is today sadly little more than a keyshop anymore and Impulse got bought by Gamestop). I still only use it sparingly, and Kickstarter even increasingly opt for itch.io instead of Steam now.

Agree with some of the above posts, Steam has been a mess for a while now, realistically the main UI hasn't gotten an overhaul in years and while originally it was very much ahead of the times, right now it's actually bordering on subpar in comparison to the rival offerings.

Steam used to be a place for the master race of games, but I mean, you open that program now and after several pop ups telling you about promotion games then you're left left probably looking at a welcome screen of no name indie asset flip junk.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Your first sentence is hilarious considering Steam's store is one of the most talked about controversies and basically is brought up anytime someone wants to complain about the service (even by people who don't use it).

Steam is a better storefront than any console and allows more customization than any of them and honestly when people complain about it I tend to think they just don't know how to use it. Even without messing with any of the settings these trash games never pop up in the front of the store - it makes me wonder if people are just tired of seeing indies, AA or even AAA games they don't care about, and so they just throw it under the bus with the crap that Steam actually has, even though it isn't deserving of it, thus blowing up the problem. This would make even more sense because Steam's storefront doesn't just focus on the new big things but also some older games as well.

There is no excuse when you can customize your search results to your liking through genre tags, ignore lists, ques and more that you can walk away and say that Steam is crap. And honestly I don't even get why people make such a big deal out of this for Steam but not consoles ... how many people just randomly spend 30 minutes looking for random games? I know I'm going to get a reply saying "Me" but this is really not something common, in fact on consoles it's hard to do it at all because the interface is so slow and you can't customize the results as much. It's like people just don't want to use a search bar or click a few buttons.

That being said Steam could be better, stuff like the rape game shouldn't be on the store, but the store is constantly improving and this is the kind of stuff that's either never talked about or doesn't become a popular topic. Steam has even invited and had Jim at their headquarters iirc and a lot of the lessons they learned they put into the settings for steam ... YEARS AGO - and yet Jim keeps complaining like he doesn't know this. I honestly don't understand why people don't get the appeal of a laissez-faire storefront. It's like people just want the Steam store to be the Playstation store. Stop making nothing controversies into big events, because people buying obvious shovelware (every piece of shovelware on steam is beyond obvious) or having a hard time using a search bar or games slipping through the cracks that no one even knows about until the media talks about it - isn't a real problem, it's a made up one.

Do you have kids Angry? Imagine if you do or want some day.. would you like your kids having a store front that offers mass school shooting games or rape games? Would you like them having access to incomplete games that are broken or a complete rip off selling for horribly expensive prices? 

This isnt about me or you, its the direction Steam has taken which has ruined what was once a good store. Dont get me wrong, ill still use Steam over any launcher however Jim has stated many points that if we dont act now than expect this to only get worse. His video is spot on. Nothing is numbo jumbo, he plays shit games for a living and has a library of videos showing the garbage ripping off people due to Valves no standards approach.

The gaming industry died due to no quality control and it was Nintendo that put the seal of approval that resurrected the industry. We dont need this again. Nothing wrong with having standards.

Valve doesnt have to change Steam, they just need quality control.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 13 March 2019