By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I barely play my switch

Do you have a favorite genre or are you more into exclusives?

Exclusives 14 41.18%

I have one 10 29.41%

Exclusive/Portability FTW 10 29.41%

Total:34
Immersiveunreality said:
potato_hamster said:
I just spent the better part of the last month sitting at a bedside, my wife and children at home, with a whole lot of time just... waiting for the inevitable, I played my switch solidly for the first few days as myself and my siblings all took turns being at that beside and enduring the suffering. But, as I "caught up" with my backlog of Switch games, I found myself wishing that I had a new vita or at least more of the games that I really enjoyed coming back to, which as it turns out, isn't Nintendo games. Before long I just stopped bringing it to the hospital/hospice center every day and would just save the gaming until my brother and I got back to his place so we could fire up the PS4, and play the games we liked to play together, I am completely done with Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Kirby, Doom, Bayonetta, and Mario + Rabbids. I've never been a Smash or Pokemon fan, and I have no interest in picking up third party titles I've already played, and beaten months if not years ago on other platforms, and I just don't know what's left for me. My Switch is slowly but surely becoming nothing more than the neat thing that gets played at friend gatherings and little more. Sure, Mario Kart 8 and Mario Party are the same laughs they've been for 20 years (and to be honest not much has changed vs theier Wii counterparts). Mario Tennis Aces has shown that it's gameplay is increasingly grating as the key to success is mastering gimmicks rather than tennis itself. So here I am, looking at Zelda: Link's Awakening and Grid: Autosport and thinking "I guess so since there's really nothing else".

I used to bring my vita everywhere and never ran out of something to play for years and years. There was always something else to keep my going, or something compelling to keep me going back to. The more time goes on, the more confident I am that if Sony announced a new portable tomorrow with say, PS4 digital compatibility, my Switch would quickly go up on craigslist, and probably wouldn't be missed.

Side note: Pick up Super Mega Baseball 2 if you can. Super solid game, but, unsurprisingly, not available on Switch.

I assume you played everything there is to play on the DS/3DS?

So much jrpg goodness on that handheld :)

I don't think it's possible to play everything there is to play on DS lol. But I have a DS. Never had a 3DS though. That being said, I'm not spending $60 for an HD remaster of a 4 year old 3DS game. I'd rather just get a 3DS and pick those games up for a fraction of the cost.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I assume you played everything there is to play on the DS/3DS?

So much jrpg goodness on that handheld :)

I don't think it's possible to play everything there is to play on DS lol. But I have a DS. Never had a 3DS though. That being said, I'm not spending $60 for an HD remaster of a 4 year old 3DS game. I'd rather just get a 3DS and pick those games up for a fraction of the cost.

I do not really know where you live but i got zelda games,a tale game, DQ games,bravely default 1 and 2,final fantasy revenant wings and damn new yoshis island.

Previous games for ds/3ds i turned in secondhand for storecredit got me almost nothing for the amount i did spend on them,if your location is not too far off from where i live can send them to you whenever i finished them if you pay the shipping cost.

I play my Switch almost daily. I'll porbably finish a Megaman run tomorrow when I will beat Megaman 6 from the Legacy Collection. That's when I will have finished every classic and every X game. And I still can't get enough of that shit, I consider replaying Megaman 7 to 10 again just so I can excite myself for Megaman 11 once more. Such an awesome game! Higly recommended.

Thunk ive played a total of about 250 hours on my switch in 2 years so yeah not great. Kids have done about 5 million each though so all good. Right now im more into my super flashy cinematic plot heavy games like Hellblade, Horizon and God of War. Also played alot of No Honour last month cos was free on PSplus and then started Mafia 3. Oh and still got three tomb raider games waiting OG ( not really OG) rise and Shadow whew. Buuuut I have just started Bayonetta and loving and plan to finish Bayo 2 aswell while the Mrs hogs PS4 smashing out Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I play my ps4 and switch about equally for now. My xbox one I usually only play if there's a new game with gold I like or replaying my 360 games via backward compatibility

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Just out of curiosity, what type of games on Vita were keeping you so busy for those years?

The Danganronpas, metal gear solid HD collection, wipeout, madden, fifa, odin sphere, Assassin's Creed, super stardust, the final fantasy games that like X, X-2, and World of Final Fantasy, Tales of Hearts, and Trails of Cold Steel I & II. Every once in a while I would dabble in persona. Even minecraft. I already had an entire compound built up on my vita, but I wasn't about to start from scratch, yet again on my Switch. I ended up with like 30-40 hard copies of Vita games after years of picking up random games, mostly for cheap.
And that's not to say they were all good. I couldn't get into Gravity Rush at all, nor did I like Borderlands 2 or Black Ops: Declassified, and Freedom Wars got old very quickly. I have hard copies of all of them, but I don't think I'll ever crack open those cases again. I even got one of those japanese girl fighting games to try (Sengan Kagura I think). The icon was a girl's ass in panties. Super cringe.

To be honest, I think a big part of that was Playstation Plus. Every month I had two games to at least try for no additional cost, so there was always something new to try. Even if I only spent like an hour playign it before I got bored of it, it was still new. But every once in a while there was something like Helldivers or Sine More that I didn't put down for weeks. Besides that I got games like Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, Need for Speed, Sly Cooper, and so many more top tier Vita titles for no upfront cost, ready to download whenever I like. Then there was all of the PS1 classics I played my formative gaming years playing that I got mostly when I played PSP and PS3, and even PSP digital games were solid on Vita. To this day there's no portable hockey experience better than NHL 07 for PSP on Vita.

And maybe that's one of my biggest problems. So many of those great indie/third party games that are out/coming to the Switch I've already played and owned on my Vita or PS3 or PS4. I don't feel any need to go back and start many of these games again, and if I did, I certainly don't feel like paying money for a game I already got for "free" on PS+. I'd just break out the Vita instead.

Gotcha, i was always interested in getting a PSP & Vita when they were on the market but for some reason I just never pulled the trigger.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The switch has been totally ruined for me.
1st year I played and beat Zelda and Super Mario Odyssey and had a great time playing it. I had about 100 hours on the switch with these 2 games. Then the great game drought of 2018 came and I didnt turn on my switch between from January 2018 to October of 2018.  Then Super Mario party came out. I go to turn it on and nothing. Tried everything online and couldnt get it to charge or turn on. I sent it to Nintendo, paid $110 to have it fixed. When I get my switch back I lost all my save data, so I will never go back to try and get the few remaining moons in mario odyssey or more shrines in zelda because I would have to start from scratch. I finally fire up Super Mario Party and there are only 4 maps and none of them are fun to me and I don't like the Ally system, so the game doesn't have any replay value for me. My experience with the switch has been very disappointing. I fire up my xbox one all the time for a game of halo (only game I have on xbox one) or to watch netflix.

tldr switch has no replay value for me.

Been playing my PS4 a lot more lately, once Yoshi comes I'll be back on Switch. Will also be playing Switch more once the other big hitters (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario Maker) hit.

I prefer RPGs and their variants pretty much exclusively on consoles. I play 4x games on my PC. One of the reasons I have not bought a nintendo console is such a long time is because good RPGs are few and far between or way late to the party.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I think I last played on mine last summer, when Octopath Traveler came out. Played quite a bit of that for a couple of weeks and then simply haven't returned. I never expected to have a huge Switch collection, but I'm still a bit disappointed in the library besides the obviously awesome 1st party titles which I already own.