By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Should The Political Discussion Board Remain?

Should The Political Discussion Board Remain?

Yes 66 53.66%

No 57 46.34%

Total:123

Well, I don't get into political discussion but the existence of the politics board doesn't bother at all because I have it filtered out from my Hot Topics.

Around the Network

How about removing nsfw or sports

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
The Leftists stir things up with their I want everything for free posts and they complain and insult our great President Trump. The Leftists are entertaining and are fun to argue with when you are an ultra right conservative pro-Trump fan. If the political arguments brings in traffic, there is no real harm in turning a blind eye and allowing the threads to drag on.

If you could leave the political whinging at the door and remain on topic, that would be fantastic.
Left and Right are simply two sides of a coin... Two different perspectives... And both are needed for a functional, stable democracy and a healthy debate.

It's not so much the debates/arguments that are the issue though anyway, it's the degree of toxicity which often spills over into other threads that some are taking issue with.

TalonMan said:

...on topic - I think keeping the Politics section is actually important, because it keeps all of the political discussions into one board (like a garbage collector), rather than having those conversations spill into other forums around the entire website. Of course, moderators would control this by trashing any political conversations that start on other boards - but it then sorta has that feel like Freedom of Speech being taken away (no political board at all, and no conversation about politics being allowed in other gaming boards - strong arm tactics!!!).

I am all for leaving it in place... We aren't required to venture into that part of the forum, but I don't mind doing it on the odd occasion... And debate, even if it is slightly heated tends to be healthy in my opinion.

But if it brings in new users, then that's a bonus as well.

I feel like Forums are a last century construct as it is... And it feels like they are in decline across the internet, so any excuse you can use to retain and bring in new users has to be a good thing, right?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I originally voted no, but there have been some great counter points made. Also, it does appear like a bad decision to removing features on the site, when growing an audience is needed.

Pemalite said:

If you could leave the political whinging at the door and remain on topic, that would be fantastic.
Left and Right are simply two sides of a coin... Two different perspectives... And both are needed for a functional, stable democracy and a healthy debate.

It's not so much the debates/arguments that are the issue though anyway, it's the degree of toxicity which often spills over into other threads that some are taking issue with.

Don't mind him, he always seems to flip-flop within the next several posts. He's not consistent about his political views so the only thing he is consistent on is the hyperbole he posts and that's the behaviour I've observed ... 

Yesterday he was anti-right wing, today he is anti-left wing but tomorrow he'll be anti-right wing again so I can only imagine his purpose being to caricature american politics ...  

Around the Network

You could rather remove troublesome threads instead of nutering the whole topic, kinda like with users. Honestly threads in 06/07/08 regarding politics were worse

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Machina said:
BraLoD said:
People should never be restricted on what they want to talk about here.
Just stop letting it get on the front page, make it game/sales talk only.
Less people will have issues with it if they just don't see it that often.
So yes, but away from the front page.

Bandorr said:
I'd start by having it not be on the front screen. I don't mean give people the option to filter it out. I mean have it not on the front screen even if they aren't logged in.

If someone visits for the first time and they see some of the tragic, toxic, and disgusting things that come out of the politics section - they would flee the other way.

The other two gaming forums I'm aware of are Resetera, and Neogaf. Avoiding what people think of those sites, their forums, their content and their moderates - both have separated politics far from gaming.

The "gaming forum" is clearly labeled for Resetera. Same for Neogaf. If I want politics I can choose the politics forum. If I don't, I can go to the gaming forum. They are easily separated and require no effort on my part.

Even Amazon (when they had gaming forums) separated politics from gaming.

Faelco said:
Like others said, separate it from the rest, and keep it out of the front page. It gives a very bad image to newcomers to see sometimes more ridiculous political threads than gaming threads.

EricHiggin said:

Like a few have already mentioned, if the political forum seems to be that big of an issue, I would for now, stop it from trending on the front page altogether. Hot topics, latest topics, doesn't matter. That way users who want to get into political discussion have to 'go out of their way' to get there specifically, so there aren't exactly a lot of excuses if someone isn't happy with what's being said in that forum, aside from those who are new to that forum. It should at least stop any users from being annoyed or triggered who see it on the front page and don't have the option to remove it from what's trending. If users did have that option, that may be something to look into, but it doesn't solve the question of, are existing and non users being brought in because of it, being turned off because of it, or do most not care because they came here for gaming related information and discussion? This can be a slippery slope however when it comes to all the non gaming related forums if people have issues with them, now or in the future, especially since politics these days seem to be slowly leeching into everything else regardless, even gaming to a degree.

I wouldn't just drop it at this point without trying a few solutions where it still exists, and I wouldn't heavily moderate it beyond what's being done now, because you will end up with the same type of push back social media is getting right now in terms of censorship. That would totally go against politics in general, and political discussion in a political thread, within reason of course. A political forum is all about free speech and if that's not something you can handle, then you should stay out of it. Everything has it's upsides and downsides. Trying to make slight changes so everybody can still enjoy their experience as much as possible makes sense, but creating 'safe spaces' is not a good idea in general. While that may fix the problem here and now, it will almost certainly raise new issues in the future because of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rise in politically based topics, as minor as they may be, leeching into the other forums much more often and quickly if there wasn't a specific political forum to post them in, and I would have to assume most would agree that would be worse than what exists now. Stricter moderation could of course fix that, but how many users will be pushed away from the site because of it?

If you will not tolerate being burned, messing with fire in any manner is a bad idea, so you stay away from it. You don't ban fire from existence though, because it certainly has it's uses.

deskpro2k3 said:
Keep it, but by default don't let it show up on forum hot topics. That way everyone is happy.

TalonMan said:

I could certainly do this - but I'm just not positive whether that should be the default or not, it's kinda hard to say. If it's removed by default, then lurkers won't see them and they won't have the option to ever see them there...    ...and it's always possible that a particularly fiery political discussion, traps a lurker into registering so they can voice an opinion.

Never so easy to settle on "default" options...

...on topic - I think keeping the Politics section is actually important, because it keeps all of the political discussions into one board (like a garbage collector), rather than having those conversations spill into other forums around the entire website. Of course, moderators would control this by trashing any political conversations that start on other boards - but it then sorta has that feel like Freedom of Speech being taken away (no political board at all, and no conversation about politics being allowed in other gaming boards - strong arm tactics!!!).

Really, a tough call.

So when CGI approached me about this I was genuinely on the fence and didn't mind what decision people came to. These posts have pushed me off the fence (particularly the bolded stuff); I now quite strongly think the political section should remain on the site, but should by default not show up on the front page unless a user actively chooses for it to do so in their settings.

I note Talon's point about the downside of doing this, and it would also no doubt result in fewer people taking part in political threads, but I think the benefits outweigh the downsides and this is the best compromise option available to us.

Some of the shit that stays in the hot topics for days at a time is really an embarrassment, but I don't want us to limit what topics people can talk about (within reason). 

Well if possible, if political discussion still remained in the drop down menu on the home page, so it's still easy enough to get to and visible, but it's latest topics and trending topics remained off of the front page, that would possibly be a good start. There will definitely be some people who won't see a certain political subject in the hot topics anymore, that may have otherwise caused them to join, or could also turn them away, but that's a call the team has to make. The users don't know how many people are being brought in, are turned off, or are complaining because of the political section. It's not like if it backfires and causes less traffic that you can't put it back or try something else either. One way or another someone's going to end up unhappy about whatever is decided.

Personally I'm fine with how it is now, but I know some people can be pretty thin skinned. Therefore a minor compromise to start might be something to try for now, if the problem is that much of a concern.

Would this impact the forum buddy at all? If the front page no longer shows new and trending political topics, will it effect how direct replies and new posts to those threads show up in the forum buddy?

Hide it from the front page is my opinion. Some of the discussions are really bad and generally devolve into "Trump sucks" vs "SJW's suck" or some similar scenario. But there are great opportunities there to talk about elections, let people know about the state of politics in countries they are not so familiar with and other important stuff. If you are going to remove it, at least give people the option to talk about some important political occurrences (like general elections in major countries) in off-topic discussion.

Edit: I now read through the whole thread. Even though I see how removing the board from the front page could result in less people signing up to participate, I think the case of someone casually finding this site and feeling repelled by some of the politics threads is equally likely. Personally, my life on this site has become a lot more pleasant since I decided to hide politics discussion from the main page. I visit the site more often as a result and participate more.

Last edited by Louie - on 10 March 2019

TalonMan said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Keep it, but by default don't let it show up on forum hot topics. That way everyone is happy.

I could certainly do this - but I'm just not positive whether that should be the default or not, it's kinda hard to say. If it's removed by default, then lurkers won't see them and they won't have the option to ever see them there...    ...and it's always possible that a particularly fiery political discussion, traps a lurker into registering so they can voice an opinion.

Never so easy to settle on "default" options...

Really, a tough call.

On the first part: even if the politics section doesn't show up at default at the front page and you only can change it if logged in, people - even not logged in - can click through the forum to it. But not having it on the front page is fair for a gaming forum. Heck, I would remove all offtopic discussion at default from the front page - we are a gaming forum, show gaming threads.

On the decond part: I agree. People have political opinions, it's only natural. If there is no dedicated board for this, these discussions will spill into other boards and discussions. Keep the forum, hide it shameful behind the counter, but allow people to voice their political stuff - if they do a few clicks more or change their default settings.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Machina said:

Some of the shit that stays in the hot topics for days at a time is really an embarrassment, but I don't want us to limit what topics people can talk about (within reason). 

If that is the problem, I see other options. How about mods can ban a topic from the hot topics section? If a discussion had becoming a back and forth it is still interesting for the participants, but not for the rest, so it can actually go from the hot topics although the thread still stays open. Heck, I even would agree that too old topics (a few days) could be automatically removed from the hot topics. If a thread is active for so long, it is mostly for heated discussion, which will be harder and harder for newcomers to get into. Also it would help against necrobumping.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]