By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why bother buying consoles next gen?

John2290 said:

Speak for yourself, the exclusives this gen have made my gratest of all time list, even if many of them are now cross gen like Nier. It's not always the big exclusives either, some of the best are games that didn't get attention like Astro bot, Moss, Resi 7s VR mode, Wipeouts VR mode etc along with loads of other VR games and traditional Indies but when you add in games like Bloodborne, GoW, Detroit, Hellblade, Nier, Nioh , Yakiza 0, Until dawn, Horizon, Persona 5 Rachet and clank remake and so on I don't know how anyone could say exclusives aren't worth it. I'm not just talking PS4 here either, switch has great games and even though I didn't like BOTW as much as everyone else the console is no slouch for exclusives like Mario oddessy and Smash, and as for Nintendo doing better than Sony that is highly debatable. 
Exclusives are worth it. They are practically all the is left that is worth it (bar the odd rhird party game like Re2, dmc5, Divinity OS thst get on that level) as we'd be getting so few great games every year among the mediocrity as third party have went all in on shitting out games as services in terrible states and multiplayer trends with few giving us actual great single player games. Screw a generation without exclusives, I'd stop gaming if they stopped making them.
Steam is a shovelware, uncharted mess and devs rarely prioritize PC ports. Console is where it is at, if you aren't in Sony or Nintendo's ecosystem you are missing out big time.

It isn't though, it's that way if you just focus on garbage poorly cobbled together games, but outside of that, PC gaming has more than just Steam, it has GoG, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay etc, all stores that sell games you find on consoles, same goes for Steam as well. Steam supports all kinds of features you don't see or get on any other storefront, let alone consoles when it comes to multi-gamepad support. There are also plenty of devs that make good PC ports. It's some Japanese devs and some AAA companies that screw up PC ports, but that's entirely on them and their fault, not the fault of the platform, and even then, we're still seeing console versions running at less clear visuals and 30fps, while on PC we at least have multiple options to tweak said game for performance/visual upgrades. 

For me and millions more others, PC is where it's at, and sales/userbase prove this. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I don't disagree with any of the points in the OP. But, the price to performance ratio, the plug-and-play nature, and the low price of entry are the main reasons I buy consoles. Those things all still exist, regardless of the availability of exclusive games.

With that said, it is getting difficult to justify owning multiple consoles. I've always been an XBox-first guy, because I want to play Halo and I like the XB controller. But, the XB controller works on PC, and Halo is no longer exclusive to XB. So, there's not much reason to buy XB anymore. The only real reason I can think of is that playing competitive shooters on PC with an XB controller equals certain, constant death from people playing with k&m.

Your talk about sony bringing their exclusives to PC is an "gigantic if"! Chances of Sony putting exclusives on PC ( day 1 exclusives) are low to nonexistent, but....
I have to say that i agree whit you ( partially, cause i don't see  great adavantages on having switch, other than exclusives.), whit no exclusives i would drop playstation and stick to PC... same is valid for Nintendo, and i would drop Nintendo whit a great deal of satsfaction since i think their hardware and sofware are overpriced as a#@%=×

Imho, no great console exclusives = no buy, and by exclusive i mean games that can only be played on the console of choice, no bullshit "windows exclusive"...

Last edited by Manlytears - on 08 March 2019

I have a ton more exclusives on my PS4, making my investment in the console 100% worth it. In contrast I only have a select few must haves multiplatform games that actually utilize the GPU in my PC.

slight grammar fix - deskpro2k3

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 08 March 2019

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Yes nintendo everything. When you think of it, with MS bringing PC games to th switch via streaming there is really no reason to buy any consoleever again. Sony and MS should just pack it all up. Great thread!!!

Around the Network

Personally, well, after Wii U and years of 3DS, Switch sounds and looks brilliant. If one's skipped Wii U, it absolutely makes sense to jump into Switch. Having said that, I don't give a damm. Nintendo's games too expensive for no reason and I wouldn't buy a switch just for a couple of games that I might enjoy. Besides I'm fed up with Nintendo genres, I've been playing them for far too long. Plus everything o NSW, except a few games, looks like past generation. Games with no 4k looks just too old for me. Nintendo has no appeal for me.

So, that's why PS4 makes sense to me. It has variety of games and extraordinary exclusives. Tons of games in affordable and fair prices. PS Plus and even PS Now that has a bunch of great games. PS Now is more worthy than NSW for my tastes. I'd pay 10 PS Now subscriptions than buy a Switch to play Yoshis and Marios.

But why not having a PC to play dozens of great games in spectacular resolution? Because I don't want to own a gaming PC. I don't want to have a PC desk. I don't want to play on a PC chair. I don't want to connect my PC to the TV to play games. I just want to buy a game box, plug to the TV and play. This is PS4. A system that always looked and played the same way. Never changes, always great.

But, why keep buying a system if I've already have tons of devices. Why not just find games for iPad or streaming stuff? Well, because if I've already own lots of devices, I see no problem in just buy another device that I'm already fond of to play video games. There's no convergence to a single super powerful device, people today have tons of devices, devices for everything. Smart light, smart fridges, whatever. So, it's not very complicated to just go to Best Buy and buy a $400 console to plug and play games. That makes sense to me.

Now, if smart TVs and other devices will just have everything that we need. Well, nothing stops Sony to make a Playstation TV or to make Playstation a box with everything else besides games.

So this is all my personal opinion, but I reckon many gamers think the same. Buying a powerful console to plug on your 4k TV to play great games and exclusive games is just great and will still be great in the next decade.

Last edited by 0D0 - on 08 March 2019

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:

So this is all my personal opinion, but I reckon many gamers think the same. Buying a powerful console to plug on your 4k TV to play great games and exclusive games is just great and will still be great in the next decade.

And many do the opposite when it comes to wanting to buy a powerful/high range PC, even to plug into their TV/monitor.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I do like my switch, but it's not without problems, for one, I don't find the battery life good. I also find the performance/graphics of some games very underwhelming. (specifically looking at Xenoblade 2). I also find myself only playing my switch in gap fill times, like short sessions. If I want to sit down and play a game for a few hours I'll play PS4.

For me it is the exclusives.

In the past it was about plug and play. The more we get incomplete games the more I rather get a PC and install steam on it tbh

PC is the way to go. Its the best future proof way for gaming. All console brands have exclusives however PC is getting them all one way or another. Xbox Live is on PC and so is PSNow (In some countries) These services are only going to grow not shrink. In time, as long as you have a PC you can play what ever you like. Consoles is old logic. The idea of trapping your customers on one specific plastic box is becoming more noticeable. In time you just have to subscribe to there services to gain access to there games. But I am sure there are plenty on this site that love the idea of being locked on specific hardware. PC's are also portable.

Businesses are starting to see the bigger side of the industry, something Valve discovered decades ago.