By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why bother buying consoles next gen?

ArchangelMadzz said:
Why do people bother buying consoles?

Cause they like the exclusives, the ecosystem and they've invested time into a brand with their PSN/Xbox Live friends list, gamerscore, trophies etc.

All you've done is list reasons why YOU wont be buying consoles. You've not deterred anyone else from buying them.

Pretty much this. If I build a PC instead of a ps5 next year not only would I spend a fortune but I'll also not be playing most of my favourite games and won't be playing with my friends. And I'd lose years of trophy progress. If ps5 is BC I'll lose all my games too. Consoles all the way. 

Around the Network

Next gen will be very interesting. We could very well see a dramatic shrinkage of the console market similar to what we saw with the Handheld market this gen. With Games becoming easier and easier to access on PC, and Streaming becoming a real thing via stuff like AppleTV, Amazon Fire TV, or even directly through Smart TVs, consoles have never faced anything in the way of competition like this. Come next year people won't need a PS5/XB4 to experience Next Gen Madden, Fifa, Call of Duty, or GTA. These games will be available via the Smartphones, Tablets, Set Top Boxes, Smart TV's, and PCs they already own. I believe this will take a huge chunk out of the console business over the course of the next gen.

I think we will see the same thing happen with console as we saw with Handhelds. People want their basic daily needs met by the hardware they use. Consoles will continue to fall behind Smart TVs and Set Top Boxes in the features people use day in and day out. That will lead to people rarely using their console. As these new services grow in popularity, many will just begin playing their games via the device they are already using. For most people, being able to play Call of Duty on Xbox Live via xCloud on their Smart TV will suit them just fine.

I personally will need to see what the next gen consoles are offering.

At this point I am already 99% sure I won't be buying another Xbox as Windows 10 will be offering all Xbox games in their best quality. It will also let me play my games on the widest range of hardware and form factors. Windows 10 also offers Virtual Reality which is a major draw for me going forward.

When it comes to PlayStation, it will be heavily based on the exclusives, but it will also come down to PS Now. If PS Now gets to the point of offering 1st party games in a reasonable time frame, I could end up just playing all PlayStation Exclusives via PS Now on my PC. Three things Sony could do that would get me really excited about PlayStation would be a true Premium tier PS5 and a PS5 Phone, with each platform sharing a unified OS and Library, along with PSVR2 with AAA 1st party exclusives. I would be all in on all three devices if they can accomplish this.

As for Nintendo. They are pretty much a shoe in for exclusives alone. I'll keep an eye on their hardware, and upgrade if anything looks interesting, I'll upgrade, if not, then the current Switch is good enough.

I agree that consoles are starting to look less appealing in the current market. It is hard to justify a piece of hardware limited to gaming, when everything around it can deliver a similar experience plus everything needed for day to day life. I don't think you will be alone in asking why you should buy another console. I think Microsoft is already moving in the direction of offering other and better options. It will be on Sony's plate to show why we should purchase PlayStation and buy into software from PlayStation going forward.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

ArchangelMadzz said:
Why do people bother buying consoles?

Cause they like the exclusives, the ecosystem and they've invested time into a brand with their PSN/Xbox Live friends list, gamerscore, trophies etc.

All you've done is list reasons why YOU wont be buying consoles. You've not deterred anyone else from buying them.

The point wasn't to deter anyone from buying consoles, I wanted a discussion on what you guys would like to see in the new consoles, besides the games.  I don't care about my gamerscore.  Xbox live is on PC.  I could go hunting for acheivements if I wanted to, but I don't.  Feel the same way about trophies.  I've got more than enough games on PS3 & 4 to get tons of trophies.  I still have access to my Xbox live friends, and notifications pop up on my desktop.  I can access PSN on my phone when I'm away from the console.

Trumpstyle said:
Burning Typhoon said:

-

When PS5 arrives just throw your computer off the balcony and buy PS5, it's not so hard. You will get all the games on PS5, multiplatform and exclusives which you won't get on PC and playing with controller is more fun than keyboard + mouse yes even FPS. It's not really a hard decision, I abandon PC gaming after getting geforce 1070 gpu (crap GPU) and went PS4 pro and it was a great decision.

The only negative with console is 30 fps which I hope will be fixed next-gen.

Playing with a controller is not more fun than a keyboard.  That is a preference.  I own every playstation console.  Some games, I use either one or the other, and some games I would never touch with a controller.  Batman Arkam Knight I wouldn't use a keyboard for, but I would never play any shooter with a controller.

DaaaBeast said:
Well how about Horizon, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Nioh and many more? Although I agree with you on Uncharted and The Last of Us there are way more great exclusives then you mentioned. Exclusives make like 95% of the games I play. Its like exclusives + Desteny
Second thing are the cheaters. Competitive PC gaming is absolutely plagued with cheaters.
Thirdly you can do keyboard+mouse setup on your console if you desire so.

Not remotely interested in persona, and never tried nioh, or bloodborne.  Horizon, I just got tired of after a while.  And Destiny 2, which I own on PC, for free, (thanks activision) I don't like it.

I was hoping things would go beyond, "Just get consoles for exclusives."  Despite exclusives making their way to PC anyway... Yet, I'll say again, even if I could play every game from Nintendo Switch on PC, there would still be a reason to own the console.

To all one's own. That's all there is to be said.

They come down to two reasons for me.
1. I cannot play my precious Nintendo games without a console. Also, PC is not as portable. Though Laptops are decent in certain situations.
2. I am a physical gamer person. I always buy games physically. With the exception of GOG everyone has terrible digital store policies. DRM is the way digital games should be.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

I've edited my first post, since you guys totally missed the point. Hopefully it's a bit more clear now.

Exclusives. That's why the Switch is selling so well, and the PS4 (but to a lesser extent). In 2019, the Switch seems like it will outsell the Xbox One's lifetime sales. Think about that a sec. The Xbox One has been out since November 2013, has the most liked gaming online service, and even has a upgrade that is better for high-res gaming than any PC you could buy for the money. Not to mention the affordability of the Xbox One. But again, the exclusives aren't there. Xbox always has had some issues with exclusives, but now it's fever pitch. The only true Microsoft Game Studios exclusive is Halo 5. All the rest of the first-party content you can get on Windows.

As long as gaming consoles can churn out enough exclusives and features, they'll be around for at least a few more console generations.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Games ? I can't play God of War, Bloodborn, Uncharted 4, Last Guardian, Detroit Become Humman, Until Danw, Horizon etc on Switch. And even letting exlusives out of the equation the Switch is not a super powerfull peace of hardware, it limits the kind of game ppl can develop if the only thing everyone is gonna have is a Switch. And regarding PCs, a lot of ppl just prefer to play on a console, its been an age old comment that PCs will make/have made consoles obsolete and its not any more true now than it ever was.

Last edited by DakonBlackblade - on 08 March 2019

Nah, gave up gaming pc last year. PS and Mac OS only from now on.

Burning Typhoon said:

With the Nintendo Switch, going from pocket to tv, so easily with no big drop in performance, and good battery life, I feel like the hardware itself is good enough to justify owning it, regardless of the games.

Good battery life? Compared to what? Most handhelds, notebooks and tablets have a better battery life than the Switch.

And it would be good enough to justify owning it, regardless of the games? If we exclude games, there ain't much left you can do with the Switch. And even with games included... take away the Nintendo exclusives and the Switch wouldn't do better than the Vita.