By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why bother buying consoles next gen?

Switch is my least favorite, the whole thing is uncomfortable to use.

I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous on my laptop with a DS4 (running in the background, hyperspace jumping) and also have that running while playing GT Sport on the PS4 pro, to travel / explore in between online races. Or I can play FH4 in between. PC/laptop + ps4 is the best combo for me.

Consoles are cheap and easy to use, CAD 400 vs CAD 1700 for my gaming laptop. Plus it took a couple days to get the laptop running the way I wanted without throttling and heat issues, plus there is always hassle to set up the controls for each game. Consoles are simple plug and play, no drivers or settings to mess with. Guaranteed minimum performance, great exclusives, everything is made for TV so no text too small to read etc.

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

I have a intel i5-4670k, don't overclock anything as it's energy-inefficient. Dude I had geforce 760 and could play 1900x1200 with no problems, than I got geforce 970 for 1440p it worked somewhat with tweaking graphics settings. I bought the 1070 card thinking this would be overkill for 1440p but already with the Watch dogs 2 release the card could not do 1440p and forced me to play with Checkerboard rendering with high settings, but even then I had frame-rate issues.3

LOL, so how do you play Watch_Dogs 2 on consoles? 1800p (with checkerboarding + upscaling) in 30 fps (with dips in the mid-20s) on the PS4 Pro or 900p in 30 fps on the Xbox One X?

VAMatt said:
Maybe I missed it, but it seems that nobody has mentioned the one, big giant strike against PC gaming. That's the high cost of entry. If one wants to stay within two or three steps of the current top-tier, it requires at least a few hundred dollars per year of hardware expense.

Consoles require a few hundred dollars once every five years or so. on PC, you need to buy an expensive rig to start with, then you need to upgrade it every couple of years, then buy another expensive rig several years later, and start the cycle over again. It is much more expensive than console gaming.

Even if one just wants to game at the same performance quality level as current consoles, it still costs significantly more in hardware to do it on PC.

If we strongly go with that logic, why PC game at all?, why are people even gaming on PC if it's so very, very expensive?.

Also, using the price argument over everything else, why that insanely huge focus?. 

Also, while we're at it, what about the fact hat paying to play online plays a massive focus with console gaming, or buying a base console, followed by a slight upgrade and then the full price for said games, followed by subscription types like gamepass on top of that, why are those not included?. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 09 March 2019

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

VAMatt said:
Maybe I missed it, but it seems that nobody has mentioned the one, big giant strike against PC gaming. That's the high cost of entry. If one wants to stay within two or three steps of the current top-tier, it requires at least a few hundred dollars per year of hardware expense.

Consoles require a few hundred dollars once every five years or so. on PC, you need to buy an expensive rig to start with, then you need to upgrade it every couple of years, then buy another expensive rig several years later, and start the cycle over again. It is much more expensive than console gaming.

Even if one just wants to game at the same performance quality level as current consoles, it still costs significantly more in hardware to do it on PC.

PS4, and PS4 pro were 400 dollars + tax.  What do you get?  A little more stability in games and 1080p across the board.  I'm not going to say I regret getting both, but lets be honest, at this rate, it doesn't matter, I'm collecting them at this point.  Why are you guys upgrading your PCs so much?

You know what I did?  I built one PC.  My first, in 2016.  It let me capture my console game footage in higher quality just like I wanted, but I was unsatisfied with it in everything else.  It was a 4790k paired with an R9 390X.  Coming from a 390X, nothing made sense other than a 1080 ti, in 2017.  No other card was going to be enough of a leap forward to justify getting it. 980 ti was out of consideration.  So was the 1070, and even the 1080.  There was no card that I would consider.  1080 Ti was the only one at the time that I'd get.

Yes, the 2080 Ti is out now, but, it's not enough to justify the jump.  Some of you guys going from 770s to 970s and thinking about 1070s.  Why waste money?  I wasn't happy with an R9 390X.  No one had to tell me a 1070 would be a bad idea.  Do you guys get where I'm coming from?  You don't have to upgrade your PCs every year.  Some of you are, and getting minimal returns.

If you had skipped the 9 series altogether, you could have saved some money and shot higher than a 1070.

If I were to get a new card, and I'm not because it would be like going from a 770 to a 970, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 2080 ti, since I would be looking to have the biggest increase without going into the overly expensive Titan rip-off land.  I don't like the new CPUs we got.  Threadripper 2 was what I wanted.  Reviews came in, I skipped.  2080 Ti reviews came in, it wasn't what I wanted, so i skipped.

I still have the same PC and by no means is it underpowered.  The only thing i want to do is capture my footage while not having to change my settings based on rather I want to do both at the same time, on the same PC.  The idea is to get a Smaller case for this PC, and just build an entirely new one, but I'll be waiting for the parts I need.  If not this year, then next year.

We're getting close to the point of diminishing returns anyway, so the next upgrade, I'll have to stick with for a while (4+ years).

Chazore said:
VAMatt said:

If we strongly go with that logic, why PC game at all?, why are people even gaming on PC if it's so very, very expensive?.

Also, using the price argument over everything else, why that insanely huge focus?. 

Also, while we're at it, what about the fact hat paying to play online plays a massive focus with console gaming, or buying a base console, followed by a slight upgrade and then the full price for said games, followed by subscription types like gamepass on top of that, why are those not included?. 

I'm not anti-PC gaming.  I own a gaming rig, an XBone S, a PS4 Pro, a Switch, and have had every other major piece of gaming hardware since Atari 2600.  I have no platform bias. It is clear that if one wants the best performance, they can only get it on PC.  But, it is also clear that even playing at console quality on PC is more expensive than just buying a console.  It's a fact, and it is significant to many people.

As to your other points, many people choose not to pay for online play (because they don't care about it).  And those that do pay $60 or less per year.  Mid-gen upgrades are not necessary to stay close to the current top-tier.  Gamepass, EA Access, and the like are not exclusive to consoles.  Those costs exist for PC gamers as well, if they want them.  

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
With Sony pathetically continuing down the path of censorship, the likelihood of me going PC next gen increases. What's happened with Devil May Cry 5 on PS4 is grotesque. I don't even own it. The very idea though. The only hangup will be selling my account, which I really don't know much about, or even if it's doable tbh.

Sony keeps saying they'll censor games, but I haven't come across a game where it was censored due to the new Sony policy. The latest game I bought was Death end re;quest, and all the CG's there are identical to the Japanese one's. Gameplay is Identical, anime titties identical, etc. You basically can run around half naked in that game, yet Sony hasn't touched it. Maybe because localization already was ahead before the censorship policy was introduced and they let it slide, but for the most part, I don't think they're enforcing it.

VAMatt said:

I'm not anti-PC gaming.  I own a gaming rig, an XBone S, a PS4 Pro, a Switch, and have had every other major piece of gaming hardware since Atari 2600.  I have no platform bias. It is clear that if one wants the best performance, they can only get it on PC.  But, it is also clear that even playing at console quality on PC is more expensive than just buying a console.  It's a fact, and it is significant to many people.

As to your other points, many people choose not to pay for online play (because they don't care about it).  And those that do pay $60 or less per year.  Mid-gen upgrades are not necessary to stay close to the current top-tier.  Gamepass, EA Access, and the like are not exclusive to consoles.  Those costs exist for PC gamers as well, if they want them.  

I never said you were, but your logic makes it seem like it's pointless to ever invest in one. The price argument is almost always brought up in regards to a PC vs console discussion and that argument is acted and claimed as if it trumps every other argument under the sun, or as if it holds more important over any other argument. The very idea of price comparisonsend up being subjective when you look at the amount of type of products out there that people buy. I for one consider anything Apple to being an absolute ripoff, yet millions of people out there think the exact opposite and are more than happy to pay for the brand image price alone.

Paying at console level is up to you and what you want to do with it, but saying that a console build "rots" far faster is a bit of a stretch. It's not much of a fact, its you'd adding in the mythos of having to "always, always" upgrade all the time, which you really do not need to do all the time, and you also forget about tweaking settings, modding games etc that offer performance boons, boons you do not get on consoles a lot of the time. 

Again, you're adding up to paying to play online as nothing but a speck, when it really isn't. if you're going to claim that I always have to upgrade all the time for a console level build, then we'd have to use my example of paying to play online to a negative point. 

Those costs don't always even exist on PC, not when we don't have to pay for said discounts, and have multile key sites and online storefronts to choose from. Does everyone on PC like renting games now vs console users all of a sudden?. (I'd love to se this data that suggests we're both heading exactly the same way 100% on both platforms) 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Burning Typhoon said:

Why are you guys upgrading your PCs so much?

Because I can. And I love the smell of fresh, brand-new computer hardware first thing in the morning.

But whenever I do a complete overhaul of my system, the old parts gets donated to another rig to give them some more life, so it's not like they are going to waste.
Essentially, It's not that I need to upgrade so often, it's because I want to.

Burning Typhoon said:

You know what I did?  I built one PC.  My first, in 2016.  It let me capture my console game footage in higher quality just like I wanted, but I was unsatisfied with it in everything else.  It was a 4790k paired with an R9 390X.  Coming from a 390X, nothing made sense other than a 1080 ti, in 2017.  No other card was going to be enough of a leap forward to justify getting it. 980 ti was out of consideration.  So was the 1070, and even the 1080.  There was no card that I would consider.  1080 Ti was the only one at the time that I'd get.

The 390X is one of those GPU's that have/are going to stand the test of time... It helps a ton that it has a 512-bit memory bus as well so it's aged really well, it's certainly better than Polaris in overall capability... And they don't overclock to badly either.

There really isn't any need to replace a GPU every year unless you are doing some heavy/professional work these days... And 1080P is a low-end "easy" resolution for GPU's these days, negating the need to upgrade even more.

VAMatt said:

But, it is also clear that even playing at console quality on PC is more expensive than just buying a console.  It's a fact, and it is significant to many people.

Why is it that PC's are required to match console quality, but consoles aren't required to match PC quality?

VAMatt said:

I have a 12+ year old Core 2 Quad rig (It's a spare system for development/testing/tweaking purposes) that is still capable of playing the latest released games... Can the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 say the same? That system has already lasted longer than a single console generation... You would have to buy multiple consoles to match that rigs life.

Fact of the matter is... PC can have cost advantages over consoles if you take the right approach, it can save you money, especially in the long run, the games are cheaper, the online is free, the peripherals are cheaper... And you don't need the latest and greatest $2,000 rig and nor are you required to upgrade every 6 months.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Burning Typhoon said:

Why are you guys upgrading your PCs so much?

Because I can. And I love the smell of fresh, brand-new computer hardware first thing in the morning.

But whenever I do a complete overhaul of my system, the old parts gets donated to another rig to give them some more life, so it's not like they are going to waste.
Essentially, It's not that I need to upgrade so often, it's because I want to.

Burning Typhoon said:

The 390X is one of those GPU's that have/are going to stand the test of time... It helps a ton that it has a 512-bit memory bus as well so it's aged really well, it's certainly better than Polaris in overall capability... And they don't overclock to badly either.

There really isn't any need to replace a GPU every year unless you are doing some heavy/professional work these days... And 1080P is a low-end "easy" resolution for GPU's these days, negating the need to upgrade even more.

I was talking about Trumpstyle, who said the following, below...  PC can have cost advantages, right.  He was doing it the wrong way.

I don't play at 1080p.  I have a 4ktv which I rarely use for games, because it's a TV, with 17ms display lag.  I also have a 2560 x 1440p 165FPS monitor with 9ms display lag, and a 1080p monitor which I stopped using for games, that has a max refresh of 144 FPS.  An r9 390x would make my monitors a waste of money, but I did upgrade all my monitors after i got my 1080ti anyway.

I don't play at 1080p, and even when i did, it was beyond 60fps.  Which brings me back to what I said, anything less than a 1080 ti, and I knew for certain I wouldn't be satisfied.  Especially with all the GPU comparison sites telling me upgrading to anything less would be pointless.

The card did what I wanted.  However now I want even more power.  But there's nothing on the market I'm willing to upgrade to just yet. 

Trumpstyle said:
m0ney said:

Did you pair it with a Pentium D or something?

1070 gives the same performance as Xbox One X, the most powerful console to date.

I have a intel i5-4670k, don't overclock anything as it's energy-inefficient. Dude I had geforce 760 and could play 1900x1200 with no problems, than I got geforce 970 for 1440p it worked somewhat with tweaking graphics settings. I bought the 1070 card thinking this would be overkill for 1440p but already with the Watch dogs 2 release the card could not do 1440p and forced me to play with Checkerboard rendering with high settings, but even then I had frame-rate issues.

So around dec 2016 I was planning to buy intel i7-7700k but thought why I'm spending money on hardware when I can just get PS4 pro and never have to buy hardware again and it worked out great.

Pc-gaming probably better now as you have freesync/g-sync monitors, before this u had to get an average 70fps with v-sync enable to have a good gaming experience. Now 50-60 average fps should be enough with those new monitors.

Games, price and because easier when compared to pc.