By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why bother buying consoles next gen?

Portability is not for everybody. I for one see no time where I am outside my home that I am able to use both my hands to play videogames or have enough downtime to do so. Usually I have some time at work during break, but I will just read webnovels like "A Will Eternal" and whatnot on my phone, I couldn't really see myself lugging a huge switch around just to whip it out in front of everyone and start getting into the game just to have to stop a few minutes later.

Around the Network

Because many people have no interest buying a PC?

I’m surrounded by a bunch of late 20/early 30 something milenials and having a desktop computer & moniter is really reserved for a small group where typically it relates to their job.

Most people I know have very little understanding of PC hardware, have no interest in having a random tower, keyboard & moniter in their room and have no interest in buying more than a handful of games for the year. Consoles are a convient and out the gate more cheap. Even if PS5 suddenly lost exclusives to PC it would still sell 100m unless the average notebook or Macbook hook up to your TV and play TLOU2 at 4K, 60fps

To play the next games.

Also I don’t care about portability at all. I use my Switch in dock mode like 95% of the time. It’s the games and controller design/flexibility which enticed me. It’s the go to couch multiplayer console at home.

console gaming is great because it is simple I buy the game put it I (and nowadays do the patch install) and then I play.

The hardware is becoming more and more dated. So a new gen of consoles would allow devs to do more and more to push their games.

I welcome a new gen, that said I hope the launch is not until 2021.

The switch is great, but when I want to sit back and relax and play games I tend to still lean to the PS4.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:

With the Nintendo Switch, going from pocket to tv, so easily with no big drop in performance, and good battery life, I feel like the hardware itself is good enough to justify owning it, regardless of the games.  I feel like the PS4 is lacking because in much the same way the xbox one is.  The only thing saving the PS4 from being exactly like the xbox is exclusivity locked away from other platforms.  Sony seems to be taking notes from Microsoft in allowing formerly PS exclusive games on PC, like Flower and Journey.  I really doubt it would end with those two games.  It's already happening with xbox--  It's becoming a service.  Opening up the Xbox platform to windows 10 is a great idea, considering the install base.  Sony has done things before after microsoft, and I think that with windows being an open platform, it makes sense to open up the market to the PC users.

In the event that exclusives come to PC, what could a PS5 do, like the switch before it, in differentiating it from the PC enough to justify owning both, with games being equal?

Since you guys have totally missed the point of the thread, I've re-written it and added a photo of only my playstation consoles I have all of them...  (Yes, I have other consoles.)

Have games ever been equal?As far as i can remember the answer is never and it most likely will always stay that way with different brands.

So playing with friends in an eco system that you feel comfortable with on a platform that feels new and exciting and yet familair that delivers the type of games you want to play ( be that games like Mario, Uncharted, halo or RTS) means nothing to you huh?

I don't enjoy gaming on pc, which is the main reason that i enjoy consoles. I've always been more of a fan of Sony's exclusives as well, as compared to other platforms. I own a Switch and PS4 this gen, and both pretty much get played only at home. I just don't have alot of time to game on the go, unless i'm visiting someone in the hospital or something. Plus, i refuse to buy digital games, unless they're only a few bucks or less.

Last edited by Sixteenvolt420 - on 09 March 2019

Why bother playing video games since we will all die ?

Trumpstyle said:

I abandon PC gaming after getting geforce 1070 gpu (crap GPU)

Did you pair it with a Pentium D or something?

1070 gives the same performance as Xbox One X, the most powerful console to date.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.